e|-0
B|-0
G|-0
D|-3
A|-3
E|-1

Hi all, I am a beginner on a HH Squire Bullet Strat. I am having some trouble playing the middle string on 3 note power chords, in this example the third fret on the A string. It ends up sounding muted even though I am pushing down hard and not on a fret. I play by placing my pointer finger on the first fret, my ring finger on the A and my pinky on the D. Thanks in advance!
Make sure you anchor your thumb correctly on the back of the neck, gives it more of an arch and you can get a cleaner sounding note. Just keep adjusting your hand position to ensure cleaner sustain. Also unless you are specifically leaving the open GBE strings, then there is no reason why you can mute them off with the left hand as well, making life a bit easier.
I guess you are muting it with your pinky or something. Thats the most obvious thing that can go wrong here.
Quote by stuartredman1
e|-0
B|-0
G|-0
D|-3
A|-3
E|-1

Hi all, I am a beginner on a HH Squire Bullet Strat. I am having some trouble playing the middle string on 3 note power chords, in this example the third fret on the A string. It ends up sounding muted even though I am pushing down hard and not on a fret. I play by placing my pointer finger on the first fret, my ring finger on the A and my pinky on the D. Thanks in advance!

You're fingering it right, it's just matter of practice. I'm assuming you haven't been playing too long? It takes a while at first to develop the strength to hold down the strings. It's also possible that your action is too high but I doubt it. Hold your thumb behind the neck, try not to dig your elbow into your side, make sure the guitar isn't too low (if you're standing) and make sure you're not muting the string with your pinky.

Also just to point out - your power chord tab there also for some reason includes the major 2nd, the tritone and the major 7th. You don't play the open GBe strings, your tab should read:

e|--
B|--
G|--
D|-3
A|-3
E|-1
ESP Horizon FR II (EMG) / Ibanez Prestige RG1570 (DiMarzio Crunch Lab & LiquiFire pickups)
Last edited by llBlackenedll at Nov 14, 2011,