Prepare for a long read, guys.

So i am in my Third year of a music degree, and i have honestly no idea what i want to do after uni as far as a long term plan goes, but recently i decided that i want to go to a different country for a while after university, not as a permanent thing, but not really as a tourist either.

I decided that if i wanted to go to a country for more than a week, i should at least learn a basic level of the native language, because even though most European countries are fairly good with English, i think it is disrespectful to go to a foreign country and expect everyone to speak the same language as you. I already know a small amount of French, but the idea of going to France has never really excited me, and i have thought of, and/or been to a few other places but have basically ruled them out due to either language barriers, or money constraints.

So basically i have decided that i want to go to Germany at some point, probably for about two weeks or so, and i was just seeing with you guys if you think this might be a good idea.

This is only an early thought that i might not follow up at all, but my plan is to either

A-Finish my degree, move in with a few friends, make my main priorities saving up money, learning German, and practicing guitar, then head off to Germany about mid 2013.

Or-

B-Finish my degree, move back home with my parents for a short while, get a new job closer to their place, same priorities as plan A, and then go to Germany mid 2013.

So yeah, the only thing i am not sure about is where to live in between, seeing as if i move back in with my parents, cost of living will go down dramatically, and so i will have money to go abroad. The only problem here is that i am afraid if i did move back in with them, i would have no incentive to move out after i get back, i will be about 23 when i go, and so it isn't totally unacceptable to move back in, but at the same time i enjoy living as my own person.

When i get over there i plan on just checking out the music scene, going to open mic nights, all that sort of thing. I am from England, in case anyone asks.

Any thoughts?

TL;DR-Thinking of learning German, then going to Germany for a couple of weeks after i finish university.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
Last edited by donender at Nov 14, 2011,
I understand your thoughts about learning the language of a country you're going to visit, but I have to say... I don't think it's necessary for only 2 weeks. When I began to read I thought you'd be staying for a few months maybe...

I just don't know how much work you're willing to put into studying for such a short amount of time actually using the knowledge.

Can't really help you on the moving out part. I am staying at home until next year, where I'll be going to Japan, so saving up some cash is easier ~
†h¥ ÅbØmInÅb£€ §Øu£§ §HÅ£† iN¢In€®Å†€ In h€ÅV€N, wHi£€ pÅnD€MØNiUm'§ VØ£i†iØn §HÅ£† g®ÅN† u§ PØW€®!
Going to a new place could be nice, especially if you're not too sure what you're looking for as far as a career. I'd say visit places before you get tied down and don't get a chance to because of any priorities you might acquire.

Also, move in with your parents if you REALLY want/need to save money. If you can do without that then I'd advise not to. Although, you could probably save for your trip faster while living with your parents.
Oh f*ck it,
I'm gonna have a party.
I had the blankest year,
I watched life turn into a TV show.
It was totally weird.
Last edited by soXlittleXtimeX at Nov 14, 2011,
Quote by UltimaWeapon
I understand your thoughts about learning the language of a country you're going to visit, but I have to say... I don't think it's necessary for only 2 weeks. When I began to read I thought you'd be staying for a few months maybe...

I just don't know how much work you're willing to put into studying for such a short amount of time actually using the knowledge.

Can't really help you on the moving out part. I am staying at home until next year, where I'll be going to Japan, so saving up some cash is easier ~

I would like to learn the language anyway, it would make things easier and if i like Germany enough to move over there, as there would be no language barrier. There are good points and bad points to both staying with my parents or moving in with some friends.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.