I'm currently in the Market for a 2x12 cab, which I currently plan on ordering custom from WhiteBox. The only problem I'm having is deciding what speakers to fill it with. Originally, I was going to go with one Celestion V30 and one G12K-100, but I've never even given Eminence a consideration in all of this, so can I get some suggestions of Eminence speakers that are similar to these two? I don't want to just stick to the normal "go to" speakers of the "go to" brand without considering what another brand offers.

Also, i had the following questions:

Is there any advantage to having a slanted baffle? I plan on standing it on it's side so it's vertical, so I'm thinking this would be a pointless addition.

They have an Option that says Stereo/Mono Jackplate. Should I opt in or out of this?

For total Cab Ohms I can pick either 8 or 16. What's the difference?

Would having a Metal Grill affect the sound at all? I'm getting the Jet City JCA100HDM, which also has a Metal Grill, so I wanted them to match. Plus, it looks awesome anyway.

Thanks for your help
Eminence Man O' War is pretty good, comparable to v30s if I remember correctly, could be wrong.

If you are tilting it on it's side, then to get a slanted cab would be silly.

I would get a mono jack plate, other wise your amp would run through only one speaker.

I suggest 8 ohms, just because most amps run at 8 ohms, unless they have an impedance switch.

I doubt the metal grille will affect the tone at all.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
I'm getting a custom made 2x12 cab too and I chose Weber's Gray Wolf and Silver Bell speakers, check them out!

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Marshall Class 5C
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
Yamaha THR10
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
LTD Viper 500 with Duncans
Quote by Guitarbaddie
Eminence Man O' War is pretty good, comparable to v30s if I remember correctly, could be wrong.

If you are tilting it on it's side, then to get a slanted cab would be silly.

I would get a mono jack plate, other wise your amp would run through only one speaker.

I suggest 8 ohms, just because most amps run at 8 ohms, unless they have an impedance switch.

I doubt the metal grille will affect the tone at all.

What about a comparable speaker to the G12K-100?

That's what I was thinking...

Mono it is, then

Will it make a difference in sound if I do either 16 or 8? Will it limit my choices for amps I can use with it?

I read some other forums and I guess it will let more highs through at lower volume, but once you crank your amp it doesn't matter.

Quote by Perverockstar69
I'm getting a custom made 2x12 cab too and I chose Weber's Gray Wolf and Silver Bell speakers, check them out!

The problem is that WhiteBox deals mostly in Eminence, although they carry the two celestion speakers I want. I don't want to make this cab any more costly, which one reason I made this post.
Can you get your cab without speakers? But I'm pretty sure you can get some Eminence to your liking, I've heard great things about that manufacturer. Sorry I can't help you on though. BTW, I think the Legend series are great!

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Marshall Class 5C
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
Yamaha THR10
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
LTD Viper 500 with Duncans
You can always install the speakers yourself later. I;m a big fan of WGS, I loved their Vet30 and ET65. Weber make kickass speakers as well.

I would go with 16 ohms. Most amps will be switchable impedance, but if you have to mismatch, you want to be going into a cab of higher impedance. It won't be as efficient, but it won't blow up your OT.
Quote by denied
You can always install the speakers yourself later. I;m a big fan of WGS, I loved their Vet30 and ET65. Weber make kickass speakers as well.

I would go with 16 ohms. Most amps will be switchable impedance, but if you have to mismatch, you want to be going into a cab of higher impedance. It won't be as efficient, but it won't blow up your OT.

I would rather just order it with speakers installed, then if I decide I want a change later, I can. This will be my first cab, anyway, and i'm going to need it fairly soon.

I'm definitely gonna have to read up on Impedance, though.

However, I still haven't received many Eminence recommendations... Do they have any other matches for the V30, and do they have ANY matches for the G12K-100?
man o wars don't sound anything like v30's. The closest characteristically that eminence makes to a v30 is the governor. 1 Swamp Thang and 1 Texas Heat is a really good pair, you could swap the ST with a Manowar. Wizards are nice speakers, people seem to like the private jacks and the governors as well. I have a tonespotter that is pretty bright, but with the right amp it sounds really good. If you peek inside the gear demo thread at the top of the forum I have several demos of the ST, Wizard, and TS, and one of the texas heat as well.
i haven't really had all that much experience with eminence, however i really do have to say that K100's and V30's are a match made in heaven. i have a Randall cab with 2x12"K100's and a 1x15" Emince Legend. the other cab is a mesa rec cab i have K100's in X pattern with Vintage 30's. the Randall Cab is for the Pro-mod and the Mesa for the Nitro.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by rokket2005
man o wars don't sound anything like v30's. The closest characteristically that eminence makes to a v30 is the governor. 1 Swamp Thang and 1 Texas Heat is a really good pair, you could swap the ST with a Manowar. Wizards are nice speakers, people seem to like the private jacks and the governors as well. I have a tonespotter that is pretty bright, but with the right amp it sounds really good. If you peek inside the gear demo thread at the top of the forum I have several demos of the ST, Wizard, and TS, and one of the texas heat as well.

What about the G12K-100? I should also not that this is for a modern metal band. I'm going for a sound similar to Lamb of God, Children of Bodom, Dethklok, Hatebreed, Throwdown, etc. Although I also play blues, classic rock, hard rock, and many other genres. I'm mostly looking to gear them towards a heavier sound, considering my amp can handle just about any genre.

I just wanted to clear that up, because "Texas Heat" doesn't really sound like a metal speaker, although I haven't checked into them yet and a name means nothing. I just though I would make sure we knew what I was going for.
Quote by Blktiger0
Originally, I was going to go with one Celestion V30 and one G12K-100, but I've never even given Eminence a consideration in all of this, so can I get some suggestions of Eminence speakers that are similar to these two?

the K and V30 are good for modern metal tones, should handle slack tuning pretty well too. i am sorry, i only know about older eminence models, i really like the 1228K (don't make anymore).

Quote by Blktiger0
I don't want to just stick to the normal "go to" speakers of the "go to" brand without considering what another brand offers.

well, if you are planning on dropping some dollars on a hot custom cab then i have a great suggestion.

-weber, silver bell, 12", ceramic, pre-rola doping, 100 watts
-weber, blue dog, alnico, pre-rola doping, 100 watts

i run these two speakers in my ppc212, they are pretty amazing speakers. i actually contacted Ted Weber shortly before he died and he recommended this setup for my cab. does modern heavy tones, sparkling cleans, dirty blues, and handles low end very well. i love blowing people out the watter with these speakers.

you can get a lower power output speaker (15, 30, 60 and 100 watt versions i think), the lower wattage versions will be more colorful.

Quote by Blktiger0
Is there any advantage to having a slanted baffle? I plan on standing it on it's side so it's vertical, so I'm thinking this would be a pointless addition.

i have seen different slant baffle setups, they can be useful for reducing the 'sound beam' effect most cab have (by pointing speakers in different directions) or it can direct the projection path toward your head where it is heard more (by slanting the face of the cab a few degrees).

Quote by Blktiger0
They have an Option that says Stereo/Mono Jackplate. Should I opt in or out of this?

in a 2x12: mono means the same signal is distributed equally among your speakers. stereo mode means each speaker will get a different signal from a different source. for guitar, you usually use 2 different guitar amps in a stereo setup.

i find a stereo cab very handy at time, but most people don't really have a need for it.

Quote by Blktiger0

a tube amp uses a transformer between the output of the power tubes and the speaker cabinet. the purpose of the transformer is pretty complex, but we can just think of it as an 'adapter' that optimizes transfering power from the amp to the speakers.

now, these transformers/'adapters' come with specs from the manufacturer and they are designed to be used with particular parts. so if you ask an amp engineer 'Why did you make your amp 8 ohms', you are likely to get a response along the lines of 'Because that is the transformer i found to work with your tubes'...

so is there a difference between 8 ohm and 16 ohm? yes, but it is fairly subtle and has to do with transformer ratings, coil windings, what taps you run off of in the transformer, and how this reacts with voice coil wire and the magnetic field it generates and how heavy the speaker is... nothing cut and dry.

a bit of generalization, you tend to get a larger frequency response with lower impedance setups (this usually means better low end response)

Quote by Blktiger0
Would having a Metal Grill affect the sound at all? I'm getting the Jet City JCA100HDM, which also has a Metal Grill, so I wanted them to match. Plus, it looks awesome anyway.

sometimes they rattle and get annoying.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by Blktiger0

I read some other forums and I guess it will let more highs through at lower volume, but once you crank your amp it doesn't matter.

say whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat???

When a metal grille gets old and the screws start backing out they can cause some rather annoying buzzing and rattling from vibration. Other than that, it won't affect your tone.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
If you go to the demo sticky, someone, i forget who, put up demos of 3 different amps with 3 different eminence speakers, the swamp thang, wizard and I think the tonker. Should give you a good idea of what those 3 speakers sound like.
Is there any advantage to having a slanted baffle?
It helps to move the sound up off the floor towards your ears. But since you're gonna run it on it's side there isn't any reason to do so. Unless you want to have the sound directed towards the middle of the room and have the cab facing forward.

Unless you're running two amps, this isn't any reason to have a stereo option. However if it's a free 'upgrade' then why not?

The manual for the JCA100H states that the amp sounds best with a 16ohm load. Though I can't see there being any significant difference. The vast majority of amps have an 8ohm tap (sometimes being the ONLY tap), so an 8ohm cab would be easier to sell down the road since it's most compatible across the board.

Would having a Metal Grill affect the sound at all?
Not really, but eventually they will start to rattle when the screws start backing out. Just tighten them back down and you're good to go.

Speaker Recommendations
Soldano loads Eminence Legend V12's into his cabs and claims they complement the Soldano tone perfectly. Personally I'm going to load a 212 with a V12 and a Governor or a Wizard to run under my 100H. The Wizard's high end is backed off and it has a thick bottom end (not SUPER thick like a Swamp Thang), I think it would compliment the V12 nicely and give the cab some character.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Eminences can sound great live, but if you plan on doing any kind of recording with the cab, I would pass on using them. Not saying that you can't get some good tones on recordings with them, but there is a reason why Celestions are more widely used in the studio, they sit in a mix much better and are much easier to find a nice micing position.

Either way, I would still suggest the V30/GK100 combo over any Eminence combo. V30/GK100 sounds absolutely HUGE in my Emperor cab.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Eminences can sound great live, but if you plan on doing any kind of recording with the cab, I would pass on using them. Not saying that you can't get some good tones on recordings with them, but there is a reason why Celestions are more widely used in the studio, they sit in a mix much better and are much easier to find a nice micing position.

Wut? It depends largely on what kind of mix you're going for. To just say that celestions sound better in a mix? If you want to sound like everyone else maybe that's a valid point.
Quote by MatrixClaw

Either way, I would still suggest the V30/GK100 combo over any Eminence combo. V30/GK100 sounds absolutely HUGE in my Emperor cab.

My Swamps sound huge in my cab, likewise the wizard and tonespotter. It really just depends on the frequency curve you want and how the amp you're using reacts to the speaker. I want to have a different tone than anyone else, and not many people use a wiz/tonespotter for heavy music. They work well though, for me at least.
Quote by rokket2005
Wut? It depends largely on what kind of mix you're going for. To just say that celestions sound better in a mix? If you want to sound like everyone else maybe that's a valid point.

I'm not really saying they necessarily sound better in the mix, but Eminence speakers are, in general, much harder to record. For example - V12 Legends sound absolutely massive live, but once you throw a mic in front of them, they take a lot of work to sound anything other than thin and harsh. Doesn't mean they can't sound good on a recording, just that it's a lot more work to get a good sound out of them. With a V30, you can practically throw a 57 in front of the speaker where ever you want, set the dials on your amp to something that sounds good in the room, and it'll sound good on the recording.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by jpatan
say whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat???

When a metal grille gets old and the screws start backing out they can cause some rather annoying buzzing and rattling from vibration. Other than that, it won't affect your tone.

Really, it makes sense. Anything that comes between your ear and the speaker is going to change the sound. For example, put headphones on and listen to a sound clip. Then put a piece of paper between your ear and the headphone. Then a shirt. Then a towel. Then denim jeans. It changes the sound. However, once it gets to a certain volume, your ears naturally compress it, so you won't hear the difference. With the metal grille, there is less in the way of the sound, but it will only matter at soft volumes. Once you get the amp past 1 on the volume, I doubt you could notice it. I'll keep the screw thing in mind though.

Quote by bpdeem
Not sure what your price range is. Have you looked into Port City? I love ported cabs. You can get your 1X12 to sound freaking huge!

http://portcityamps.com/

Give it a look.

I'm only spending about $500 on this one, including shipping, so those are a bit out of my price range. I'm not going all-out on this, I just want a solid cab that I can live with for a while. If I decide I want to experiment with different cabs or speakers later, then I'll check them out again, but for now, this works fine.

Quote by MatrixClaw

Do you know why this is? I doubt we'll be recording again soon considering we just recorded a demo a short while ago and we don't have enough songs for a full album yet. Maybe I'll just go Celestion on this, then later I can buy a 4x12 and load it with Eminence. I'm gonna listen to some demos of both first, and see what I think.
Quote by MatrixClaw
I'm not really saying they necessarily sound better in the mix, but Eminence speakers are, in general, much harder to record. For example - V12 Legends sound absolutely massive live, but once you throw a mic in front of them, they take a lot of work to sound anything other than thin and harsh. Doesn't mean they can't sound good on a recording, just that it's a lot more work to get a good sound out of them. With a V30, you can practically throw a 57 in front of the speaker where ever you want, set the dials on your amp to something that sounds good in the room, and it'll sound good on the recording.

I can agree with this. When we recorded our demo, the other guitarist in the band was using V30's with his Mesa Rectoverb, and I was using a Fender Hotrod Deville with it's stock Eminence Legends, and his sounded great right away and sounded in the mix just like it did in the room. Then, mine had to have the mic adjusted multiple times and it sounded great in the room, but then after we recorded the tracks and I listened to those, it was way too gainy and somewhat thin.

I've been looking through Eminence's stuff online and listening to their demos side by side and so far, the Redcoat speaker I like the most is The Wizard and the Patriot is tied between the Swamp Thang and the Texas Heat. Those two sound so damn similar, but they each have qualities I like and dislike. I can't pick between them, but I'm gonna keep looking through the speakers. Does anyone have any experience with the Maverick/Reignmaker attenuation device that's on their speakers?
Eminence's sound clips don't do any justice for their speakers, if you heard a Texas Heat and a Swamp Thang in person you'd laugh at yourself for saying how similar they sound.

I haven't had experience with the attenuation speakers but I found a few good vids on the 'tube demonstrating them. It's a neat idea and works pretty well from what I can tell, though Youtube is a long way from having the actual speaker in front of you.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Quote by Flux'D
Eminence's sound clips don't do any justice for their speakers, if you heard a Texas Heat and a Swamp Thang in person you'd laugh at yourself for saying how similar they sound.

I haven't had experience with the attenuation speakers but I found a few good vids on the 'tube demonstrating them. It's a neat idea and works pretty well from what I can tell, though Youtube is a long way from having the actual speaker in front of you.

I wish I could actually demo the damn things. I finally let my ear hit the right area of the sound to listen to to hear the difference, then I about shit, even with their demos. Now I have it down to these three:

The Wizard
Swamp Thang
Screamin Eagle

I can decide which one I would want to drop from the mix, though. Seeing as how they don't quite capture the speaker in their clips, any advice on this decision?
As it turns out, WhiteBox doesn't carry the Screamin Eagle normally, so if I decide to go Eminence, it would be The Wizard and Swamp Thang, although that's a more expensive combo than the V30 and G12K-100 coming from WhiteBox.

Does anyone happen to have both of these combos to do a few demos for me? Having the Jet City JCA100 pr JCA100HDM would make it perfect, but I realize that I'm asking a lot here xD
sometimes you just gotta pull the trigger. if you don't have that much experience, then you have to start somewhere. maybe you'll get your speakers and keep em and never try anything else, but if you're anything like me your 'loose-speaker' pile will start looking like this:

and you'll decide what speakers you are gonna load in which cab for a gig based on what amp and guitar you wanna play.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Nov 20, 2011,
Something to also consider - If you don't end up liking the Celestions, they generally have a better resale value than Eminence. If you have to pay extra for the Eminence speakers from Whitebox then I wouldn't do it.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
+1 to that. You can always find eminences used for 50-65 depending on what speaker it is. TGP always has them after they find out that tonkers don't sound anything like robben ford.
Quote by MatrixClaw
Something to also consider - If you don't end up liking the Celestions, they generally have a better resale value than Eminence. If you have to pay extra for the Eminence speakers from Whitebox then I wouldn't do it.

It comes down to a $20 difference. The Eminence-loaded cab is $500 and the Celestion-loaded cab is $480. Not a HUGE difference. It would still be awesome to hear some demos of both with the same setup to compare. My problem is that this setup has to last me for a while, so I don't want to get something that is below my expectations. I'm going to see what some of my favorite artists use as well to compare. I was really favoring Eminence because it's not the "go-to" speaker, they're made in the USA, and they were going to be cheaper, but now that I know they have a lower resale value and they cost more, I'm not so sure.
go V30 and K100. i really don't think (IMO) there is a better option out there for the price. if you are going to be playing metal. i played a JCA50 on my K100 4x12" and it sounded better than my other cabs. i tried the JCA into the mesa rec cab, didn't sound as good, getting them mixed two V30 and two K100 sounded the best.

i only had the JCA for like three days because i really didn't like it, but i made quite a bit of money of the following deal.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Yeah, I've decided just to go with the celestion combo. It'll be cheaper, I've had better experiences with them so far, I haven't heard anyone so far that says they would avoid them for any reason, they have a higher resale value, and the Celestion artist's page is geared much more toward my interests.