hi guys,
my brother is getting a new guitar for his birthday and he is trying to decide whether to get the epiphone les paul standard plus or epiphone les paul custom. our local shop are selliing them for the same price and i want to know which sounds better/better hardware and electronics. the plus top is just the standard with a flamed top but my local shop is selling it for the same price as an epi les paul standard.

just incase you need this info, he like the red hot chili peppers and queen and plays classic and hard rock and a bit of funk rock. please dont suggest buying a strat cause he already has one.
so, what should he get?
Quote by JCGGUITARS
i like the custom but thats just me. . .

thanks, we were thinking the same thing. just checking.

btw thanks for replying, we waited 10 minutes for one
Quote by JustRooster
But... you already have a Gibson?

If you read the original post, it says it's for his brother...

There's not a lot of difference between the Standard Plus Top and the Custom. It pretty much comes down to which finish you like. I've not heard great things about the finish of the gold hardware mind.
I prefer the custom for its aesthetics. But as with most Epi's, you'll have to change the pickups out.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
I had an epiphone Les Paul ultra, and the stock pickups sounded better than the stock pups in my Gibson LP studio... So I wouldn't immediately say the epi will need new pups.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
ok, thanks guys. well check out the guitar and then see whether he wants to change pickups. i have a spare Gibson 498T Bridge Pickup from when i replaced my les paul with a Gibson P94T in the bridge that we could install. but it wouldnt match the gold hardware coz its silver so wed probably have to buy a gold pickup cover.
Opinions are opinions i suppose. I just think they sound way too muddy, but if you can make them work, more power to you. I just havn't had great experiences with them.

To say the least though, if you get your hands on a really good-playing Epiphone, they make for potentially great guitars, especially when you mod them.

Edit: I actually kinda like the look of slightly mismatched hardware as long as it doesn't look too out of place. It gives the guitar a unique look. Take the tone knobs on Joe Bonamassa's LP for example.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Nov 14, 2011,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Opinions are opinions i suppose. I just think they sound way too muddy, but if you can make them work, more power to you. I just havn't had great experiences with them.

To say the least though, if you get your hands on a really good-playing Epiphone, they make for potentially great guitars, especially when you mod them.

Edit: I actually kinda like the look of slightly mismatched hardware as long as it doesn't look too out of place. It gives the guitar a unique look. Take the tone knobs on Joe Bonamassa's LP for example.

yes, also my gibson les paul studio has one black p90 and one silver humbucker.
but what did you say you think sounds muddy, if my gibson pickup then you are wrong its great.
Quote by itamar100
yes, also my gibson les paul studio has one black p90 and one silver humbucker.
but what did you say you think sounds muddy, if my gibson pickup then you are wrong its great.

The neck pickups are too hot and the bridge pickups are too weak. The neck pickups are almost unusable for anything with gain for my tastes and the bridge pickups don't really have enough output to make harmonics and overtones shine through enough.

Even so, a pickup with more windings (thus higher output) causes a loss in high end. But because of the magnets that Epiphone like to use in their pickups, the pickups cut the treble out and they aren't even that hot to begin with.

I understand that its hard to get a pickup that does everything (i don't believe there is such a thing) but for my purposes they're just not very good. If i had a LP Custom, id change the pickups to somthing more suitable for myself. I'm your steriotypical hard rock/metal player.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
The neck pickups are too hot and the bridge pickups are too weak. The neck pickups are almost unusable for anything with gain for my tastes and the bridge pickups don't really have enough output to make harmonics and overtones shine through enough.

Even so, a pickup with more windings (thus higher output) causes a loss in high end. But because of the magnets that Epiphone like to use in their pickups, the pickups cut the treble out and they aren't even that hot to begin with.

I understand that its hard to get a pickup that does everything (i don't believe there is such a thing) but for my purposes they're just not very good. If i had a LP Custom, id change the pickups to somthing more suitable for myself. I'm your steriotypical hard rock/metal player.

oh, ok.
me and my brother dont play metal so we dont need very high output. but you can adjust pickup height to get the sound you want anyway.