Hey, so here's a song that I've been working on, but to me it just sounds way too bassy, muffled, and I guess washy? Also, the acoustic guitar sounds pretty bad. This is also my first attempt at a multiple instrument recording so any tips on how to balance everything out would be awesome. Oh, and I plan on adding drums and vocals later.

http://soundcloud.com/mr-potato-1/original-song
Current/Main Gear
'06 MIA Fender Stratocaster
'97 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Lim. Ed.
'90s Peavey Classic 30
H&K Tubemeister 18
MXR 404 CAE Crybaby
Ibanez TS9
Ernie Ball Jr. Volume
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Last edited by EncoreBlade at Nov 14, 2011,
I know nothing about recording so here are my uneducated guesses:
Thicker gauge strings,
Less mids and bass,
Compressor.

As I said, uneducated
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Turn down the bass guitar a wee bit, add some bass to the acoustic guitar, turn it up in the mix.
TBH it sounds perfectly fine. Is it with your spider? If so, im amazed.

I'll try that. As for doing it with the spider, HELL NO haha. It's actually all software from Guitar Rig. You can see all the equipment I used in the description.

Quote by Nashag
Nothing much wrong with this. Maybe some EQing (the acoustic guitar sounds a bit thin, try a couple of different mic placements if EQ doesn't do it).

Honestly, I think that the "tightness" you're looking for will be right there, as soon as you add the drums.

I actually direct inputted my acoustic since it's an acoustic-electric. Would micing it be better?
Current/Main Gear
'90s Peavey Classic 30
H&K Tubemeister 18
MXR 404 CAE Crybaby
Ibanez TS9
Ernie Ball Jr. Volume
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
It's not tight in a performance sense. The guitars aren't staying together too well at parts. The acoustic strum pattern is too different from the electrics and clashes.

I'm hoping you played to a click track... If you were to throw a drum loop in there when you're tracking you could probably keep everything in time better and get it closer to perfect. That often works for me.

I'd be careful with the double tracking as that requires a LOT more consistent and in-time playing. If that double tracked sound is what you're after, go for it, but be very very picky with the takes you keep because mistakes add up fast.

A miked acoustic will sound better than a DI'd acoustic 99.5% of the time. Even better is to mic and DI at the same time and mix to taste.

Over all it sounds like a cool song and once you tighten it all up and finish it it will be awesome. Keep up the good work.
I think the most obvious thing that jumped out to me was that there seem to be some tuning issues between the guitars. I dunno if it was just me that heard that? That would certainly explain it not sounding as tight as you want if it's the case.
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Quote by Sonny_sam
I think the most obvious thing that jumped out to me was that there seem to be some tuning issues between the guitars. I dunno if it was just me that heard that? That would certainly explain it not sounding as tight as you want if it's the case.

Actually yea I had some tuning issues but I wanted to start mixing it so I took the takes that I had and worked with it. I did work with a metronome within cubase to try and keep me in time but I guess I was out of time during some parts.

I'll probably re-record everything once again for better consistency and sounds and try out what you guys are saying. Now, the biggest issue I have is during the mixing process. I know about EQ and what it can do, it's just that I don't quite understand HOW to EQ properly. To me, this mix sounds like its contained within a muffled box, whereas a professional or good recording mix sounds out-of-the-box, open, clear, and full.
Current/Main Gear
'90s Peavey Classic 30
H&K Tubemeister 18
MXR 404 CAE Crybaby
Ibanez TS9
Ernie Ball Jr. Volume
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
The clarity in professional mixes comes from every instrument being processed to accent its desirable characteristics while removing unneeded frequencies, or those that interfere or mask other instruments. The main tools for this are EQ and compression. EQ deals with frequencies and energy while compression deals with dynamics (although many compressors add their own 'flavor').

Here are two excellent videos on using EQ:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSNYBbPAvKE
While they are tutorials for a particular EQ plugin, the process is explained very, very well.
Let's party.
Quote by Odirunn
The clarity in professional mixes comes from every instrument being processed to accent its desirable characteristics while removing unneeded frequencies, or those that interfere or mask other instruments. The main tools for this are EQ and compression. EQ deals with frequencies and energy while compression deals with dynamics (although many compressors add their own 'flavor').

Here are two excellent videos on using EQ:
While they are tutorials for a particular EQ plugin, the process is explained very, very well.

Thanks! I'll watch them and hopefully I'll understand it haha
Current/Main Gear
'90s Peavey Classic 30
H&K Tubemeister 18
MXR 404 CAE Crybaby
Ibanez TS9
Ernie Ball Jr. Volume
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
Sounds slightly out of tune, you might check your intonation of the acoustic and electric, it's not much but it's noticeable. Other than that, I would add a little more highs to your bass, turn up the acoustic and eq it. Looking forward to hearing it with drums, it's really good for a first whirl at multitrack.
ESP Eclipse Standard Series W/ PRS Santana II Pickups
PRS SE Soapbar II
Peavey 5150 120w Head
Avatar 412 Traditional Cab(v30's+G12H30's)
Malekko, Rocktron, T-Rex and MXR/Dunlop pedals
Cutting out some of the mids helps take out mud. (500hz)
I know when I go to master a track in cubase 5, after I select the "Mastering Set Up" and import my track, the MultiCompressor brings it together and makes it have that tight and crisp sound.
As far as the Peripheral, new strings help with tightness. (For obvious reasons)
Being 100% tuned helps as well along with your playing.
If you're serious about needed some Design or Motion Graphics done for your band, youtube, or literally anything else you should email me at CoreGraphics@live.com. My services are quite affordable for the quality I deliver.

Youtube: CoreGraphics
Definitely mic the acoustic, I always think acoustics sound a lot nicer mic'd than using the input!

As has been pointed out, tuning issues stand out a bit, I would add a little more bass maybe to the acoustic track and just a tiny bit more on the electric guitar playing the chords.

I think it will sound tighter once you've added the drums too!
Amp:
Blackstar HT-50 Head
Orange PPC212

Guitars:
Fender Telecaster '62 Re-issue ('84)
Takamine G-Series Acoustic

Pedals:
Ibanez Tube Screamer
Boss TU-3
Boss DD-3
Boss BF-3
ISP Decimator