So I need to get my tubes replaced 2 12ax7-b and 2 5881 now was told that i need to get the bias done. Does any one know what a reasonable price for this service should be in the US? Ive been told any where from $75-$300 does that sound like a joke to anyone else?
Quote by Briyan_15
So I need to get my tubes replaced 2 12ax7-b and 2 5881 now was told that i need to get the bias done. Does any one know what a reasonable price for this service should be in the US? Ive been told any where from $75-$300 does that sound like a joke to anyone else?

Only the 2 5881s need biasing... I'd say somewhere $150-$250 is reasonable but it really depends on your area and how many techs are around. I paid $425 for a full retube, and recap job a while back.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Depends on where you are. theres only 2 guys around St. Louis that can do it for a decent price. I paid $75
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness
It's pretty easy to bias an amp yourself in most cases. What amp do you have?
1998 Ibanez Prestige S2540
2005 Ibanez RG570
Bugera 333XL 212 Combo
I've got The line 6 spider valve how much doe the bias testers run?
Also I'm located in Orem Utah.
Wow apparently my area sucks... I can't get a tech to unscrew the chassis of my amp for less than $100.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
www.eurotubes.com

I think he is in Oregon. He sells a cheapo probe for like $25. Where is the bias trim pot on your SV? You'll need a multimeter too and yes - be careful not to touch the insides while the amp is on, or even if it is off.
Quote by tubetime86
Wow apparently my area sucks... I can't get a tech to unscrew the chassis of my amp for less than $100.

Seriously... its like oh whats wrong with it? Doesn't matter bend over and take it up the ass!
Quote by Briyan_15
I've got The line 6 spider valve how much doe the bias testers run?
Also I'm located in Orem Utah.

Im not sure id check google. But make sure you read up on it..It may be easy but if you do it wrong...

In Utah, man it might be hard for you to even find a tech in that state at all lol
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
www.eurotubes.com

I think he is in Oregon. He sells a cheapo probe for like $25. Where is the bias trim pot on your SV? You'll need a multimeter too and yes - be careful not to touch the insides while the amp is on, or even if it is off.

Not sure where they ship from but I got my tubes in like 3 days from these guys. A+ Company
Quote by Briyan_15
Seriously... its like oh whats wrong with it? Doesn't matter bend over and take it up the ass!

Its like my local bike shop... I buy an old bike for $20 and take it in and say 'what can I do for next to nothing just to get it riding...' They say 'nothing, its a odd bike and parts are tough to find. We'd have to do an overhaul and you're looking at a couple hundred.' I go home, buy tubes, tires and a chain then go for a 4 mile ride.

Assholes.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
This is a pretty good read for you:

http://line6.com/supportarchive/thread/15776

I'm still not sure where the test points are or the biasing variable resistor is but I'm going to have to assume it is internal. Therefore, be very careful. I have a Blog on biasing MY amp and at a minimum you can pick up some safety tips off of there. It sounds like the test points are external but having your own bias probe is still a good idea - much safer.

eurotubes has some biasing 'How To' stuff as well but he glosses over the safety precautions.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Nov 14, 2011,
I haven't ordered my tubes yet but i had a quick question about those too. (I'm new to tube amps) Will different tube brands make that much of a diffrence in the sound? I was told to go tungsol 5881 over sovtek what impact will this make?
I would like tighter lows i don't know how much this play into sound.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
This is a pretty good read for you:

http://line6.com/supportarchive/thread/15776

I'm still not sure where the test points are or the biasing variable resistor is but I'm going to have to assume it is internal. Therefore, be very careful. I have a Blog on biasing MY amp and at a minimum you can pick up some safety tips off of there. It sounds like the test points are external but having your own bias probe is still a good idea - much safer.

eurotubes has some biasing 'How To' stuff as well but he glosses over the safety precautions.

thanks i'll read up
They won't make that much difference tonally, especially between those two. I recommend JJ, SED and I hear RubySTRs are pretty good.

JJs should give you what you want and eurotubes sell JJs.

otherwise:

http://www.dougstubes.com/power-tubes/6l6-5881-kt66.html
Setting the bias is easy if you know how to use a multimeter. If you don't know how to use a multimeter... find someone who does and have them show you how to do it. It's easy stuff, but like others said, you want to avoid touching capacitors whether the amp is on or off. They store a potentially lethal charge, so be careful. Once you know what they look like, just don't touch them and you'll be fine.

Even if you don't set the bias, you're really not going to hurt your amp. If it's set too hot you'll shorten the life of your tubes, and if it's too cold it'll probably sound a bit weak. Other than that
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
I'll definatley learn how to do it my self. now whats the difference between 12ax7b an other 12ax7s?