Hi.
My name is Stephanie and I am new to this forum.

I am not a guitar player but I am hoping to learn the instrument in the near future. Along with my mum and dad I am planning to buy an electric guitar for Christmas.

As I am a novice as I was hoping that people here may be able to offer me some advice in regards to my current choice of guitar. My mum and dad are thinking of buying a guitar package deal from a local musical store in Northern Ireland for £300 which will include: 1) A Westfield E4500 deluxe (Gibson style Les Paul); 2) A 15 Watt Amplifier; 3) Accessories including; a) guitar strap; b) spare strings; c) electric tuner kit; d) a guitar bag; and e) a beginners tutorial DVD.

I love the look of the guitar and I hope that it is well suited to a beginner but has anyone ever had any experience with this particular guitar? I would really appreciate any advice which can be offered and if you think this is a good deal.

Thanks very much : )
What kind of music would you be looking to try and play?
Quote by dann_blood
Proof he's a communist! He finally comes out, the nazi!
Personally when it comes to starter packs, it is often a better option to not go for them and buy all the gear you need seperatly. That way, you know exactly what you're getting and that you know you're getting the most out of your money.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
What would be there max budget?
you can get better then westfield at 300 IMO but go slightly higher and you'll get even nicer
please don't let your parents buy a westfield for £300. I don't know what they're like now, but i borrowed a mate's westfield when i was starting to play (10-11 years ago), and it really was terribad.

What type(s) of music do you want to play?

Just bear in mind, les paul-style guitars can be heavy, and upper fret access isn't amazing. If that doesn't annoy you, that's fair enough, but it's worth pointing out in case you didn't know.

^^ agreed regarding starter packs. they're generally a bad idea because (a) they know people buying starter packs are beginners and don't really know what they're doing so they can palm you off with crap and you won't know any better, (b) much like bundled software with new pcs there might be some stuff in there that you're paying for that you'd never need or use and (c) even if these nefarious schemes aren't going on and I'm just being paranoid, the people making the best amps are rarely making the best guitars (and vice-versa), so you can normally get a better guitar and amp by going separately. If you buy a starter pack often the absolute best result you can hope for is a decent guitar or a decent amp, but rarely both. Going separately, you can guarantee both will be good (or at least as good as your price range allows).

^ agreed, although knowing this forum (or at least me), we'll soon have you buying an SLO and a collings
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Nice to see another Northern Irish Uger! I agree with the other guys though, for that kind of money westfeilds are not that good. Plus, the amp you'd be getting with it would probably be even worse than the guitar. Peavey vyprys are great starter amps, as for guitars, squier vintage modified and classic vibe series are fantastic for the money. But that might not be the sound you're looking for. If you're near Belfast i recommend heading to Matchetts and the newly opened Guitar Centre, and talking to the guys there. They know what they're talking about and the guys in Matchetts will try to help you as best they can! Good luck
there's a newly opened guitar centre? Moar info plox

I haven't been in belfast for ages. Belfast's still there, right? It hasn't become a suburb of dunmurry?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Baha yeah, it's where the guitar emporium used to be. Doesn't have anything to do with the American guitar centre though. It's one of the guys that used to work in the guitar emporium thats running it, along with one of the guys that used to work in bairds.
oh right, that might be ok, then. Last i heard music matters had taken over the emporium's site, but if one of the old emporium guys is running it, that should be good. the emporium was great, i was annoyed it closed (considering some of the other shops which haven't!).

Thanks!
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Music matters only stayed there for like 4 months, if even. I loved the guitar emporium too, even did my work experience there! Marcus is gone too, can't say i was too annoyed about that.
Marcus is gone? Wow.

yeah I'm not too annoyed about that either
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i think for £300 you could get a nice squier classic vibe tele/strat and a vox vt amp... or something along these lines..