do you guys anchor with your picking hand?
i usually put my pinky and ring finger paralel to the high E string, but i've decided to go for a more gilbert-style picking hand technique... and it's hard to get used to! any tips?
Sure - keep at it, because ultimately it's worth it. But also, watch your shoulder doesn't hunch up while you do it - mine did at first and I screwed it up for a week or so, so pay special attention to it.
ESP Horizon FR II (EMG) / Ibanez Prestige RG1570 (DiMarzio Crunch Lab & LiquiFire pickups)
I did it naturally and never heard the term 'anchoring' until my friend pointed it out and said i shouldn't do it. 3 years on and I still do it as there is nothing wrong with it, it's what feels natural to me and is too much of a hassle to change it after nearly 5 years of playing.

tl;dr
just do what feels right for you.
Don't anchor. It restricts your range of motion and some believe it can lead to injuries like Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. Read the stickies, specifically the guide to all techniques. Section 5.8 is all about anchoring.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
The point at which it actually becomes a problem is related to pressure. Sometimes a finger will lightly rest on the body, and that's okay. However, if you're actually exerting downward pressure on the body of the guitar, that's a good way to set yourself up for injury.
Quote by Junior#1
Don't anchor. It restricts your range of motion and some believe it can lead to injuries like Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. Read the stickies, specifically the guide to all techniques. Section 5.8 is all about anchoring.

+1.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.