I have the opportunity of buying from a friend a Fender Fronman 212R
I mostly play at home and of course looking for good sound
Does this amp suitable for home use ??
Or it won't give me its best playing at home sound level ??
personally i wouldn't bother unless he's giving you a killer mate's deal
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
How much is he willing to sell it for? I say get it if it's over $100 less than what it sells for new. $200 for a 2x12 isn't a bad deal compared to what else you get for the money. The cleans on the thing are pretty underrated (I own it's precedor: Fender Stage 100. Same as the Frontman but with spring reverb and a Celestion speaker)
If you're getting a good deal, go for it. Don't buy it just because it's a friend though.

Try it & compare it to other amps you could get for a similar price to what you'd be paying for it. Get the one which is best for you, not the one which people here say you should get and don't be afraid to tell your mate you aren't interested if you decide on something else.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
guys , guys ... hold your horses ...
First - its not a good friend or anyone who tries to convince me into it ,its a friend of my brother who is selling his amp, that's it..
second - the price here is not an issue. pointing a certain price wont be helpfull here since I'm not in the U.S and the prices in my country are totally differernt.
My question was (and still is) if this amp is good for home use (with low volume levels playing)
for home practice and use (only) its a decnet practice amp with decent cleans(dont remember much about its distortion but its probably les than great)
its not a tube amp so you dont need to crank it to get a sweet tone out of it

having said that i would only get it if it was a great deal since i could save up for a better amp more suited to what i want
Last edited by supersac at Nov 14, 2011,
Quote by sagifern
My question was (and still is) if this amp is good for home use (with low volume levels playing)
Yes, and really that's probably about it (going based on my Stage 100). The cleans sound great at pretty much any volume, but the distortion channel sounds like crap if turned past one. Should you ever want to use it in a jam session or gig than it will certainly do the job (assuming you will be using it as a clean amp), but other than that it's nothing more than a SS practice amp.
Don't do it. I had one and personally, I think it's awful. I really, really did not like it. The cleans were muddy, the distortion sounded shit, then broke, the reverb stopped working. The master volume didn't do anything between 3 and 5. The EQ wasn't sensitive enough. But, it was loud.

Just don't get it.
Why is anyone saying that 2x12, tube or SS, is good for home use? 2x12s are loud no matter what.

Having said that, it's a Frontman... I mean, if you really want it, you can boost it with teh metel zonez
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Guitarbaddie
Why is anyone saying that 2x12, tube or SS, is good for home use? 2x12s are loud no matter what.

Yeah but when it comes down to it, even a 1x12 can be too loud for home use as well.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by DarthV
Yeah but when it comes down to it, even a 1x12 can be too loud for home use as well.

Sure sure, but isn't the 2x12 100 watts?

I mean, come on...
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Guitarbaddie
Sure sure, but isn't the 2x12 100 watts?

I mean, come on...

I use a 100 watt amp at home. It has a magical knob entitled "volume" which can be used to make it play at a loudness acceptable for home use as well as giving enough noise for gigs.
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
There's a volume knob for a reason. I used a 130w SS 1x12 combo for 17 years. Almost never had the master above 3 (unless jamming). Was it overkill? Yeah. But I got it for almost nothing

I'd pick an amp on how well it fits your style/needs, then worry about wattage. And budget/availability as well. If the 212 is the best fit, then why not? Obviously it's not going to be as easy to move around as a 1x12, but let the TS decide.

And I'm not saying that the frontman 212 is his best option. No budget or styles listed by the TS, so it's pretty difficult to give any advice.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
I'm well aware of the volume knob, just trying to stop the Frontman suggestions :P
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Then just flat out say that in the first place!
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
OP - seems to be that the general opinion is that this amp isn't really worth buying unless you're getting a particularly good deal.

What amp are you using at the moment, and why are you thinking of upgrading?

If you don't have an amp at all, then this amp could be worth getting if it's currently your only option.

If you already have an amp which is good enough for your current purposes, there's no real reason for you to buy this amp.

I noticed on your profile you're in Israel - I have no idea what prices or availability of kit would be in your country, but if you're not in a rush to get something quickly I'm sure if you're patient and keep looking something else will turn up eventually.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Last edited by GaryBillington at Nov 15, 2011,
I currently using a 15 years old shitty Peavy amplifier which I cant stand anymore.
I have the opportunity of buying the Fender for 60% of it's "as new" price, which is quite cheap for a second hand amp.
I like playing all kind of rock geners (foo fighters, alter bridge, alice in chains etc..)
I'm not in a rush of buying anything, but thought that if this is a good option (for its price range) and if it will be good for playing at home than maybe it is a good option for me.
I owned that amp. It will not sound good for the stuff you play. The only thing I would consider with that amp would be to run a MFX into the clean channel - which is what I did.

You will want more of a Marshally sounding amp. Follow the suggestions in the Sticky when you are ready and we can help you find an amp.
Quote by sagifern
I currently using a 15 years old shitty Peavy amplifier which I cant stand anymore.
I have the opportunity of buying the Fender for 60% of it's "as new" price, which is quite cheap for a second hand amp.
I like playing all kind of rock geners (foo fighters, alter bridge, alice in chains etc..)
I'm not in a rush of buying anything, but thought that if this is a good option (for its price range) and if it will be good for playing at home than maybe it is a good option for me.

The Rhythm player in our band has one... Loud enough for the stage.. sounds great at low volumes... he uses both the OD and the MORE OD buttons on the amp, but also has a TS9 plugged in because he likes that sound too...

He lives in a condo, and says it's perfect for practicing there..
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Quote by Papabear505
The Rhythm player in our band has one... Loud enough for the stage.. sounds great at low volumes... he uses both the OD and the MORE OD buttons on the amp, but also has a TS9 plugged in because he likes that sound too...

He lives in a condo, and says it's perfect for practicing there..

no
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by GaryBillington
I use a 100 watt amp at home. It has a magical knob entitled "volume" which can be used to make it play at a loudness acceptable for home use as well as giving enough noise for gigs.
This.

Also, more speakers =/= more volume, like a lot of people think for some reason. More speakers project out more and increase the size of the invisible sound sphere, meaning that the tone and volume will remain more consistent as you move throughout the space. This was confirmed by my Physics professor who is also a guitar player.

To the TS: Since you now stated what you are planning to use it for, and how much your friend is selling it to you for, you might just be better of saving up a few more dollars and getting a Peavey Vypyr 30. The distortion on the Frontman is certainly not a strong point despite there being a lot of it there. It's really not very usable, it's almost arguably worse than a Marshall MG. The Vypyr will do the job much better.
these amps (new) cost the same as the used one i mentioned :
Fender Super-Champ XD guitar combo
Fender Mustang III 100W

how are they ? anyone knows ?
Last edited by sagifern at Nov 15, 2011,
The Fender Super Champ isn't as loud but is a far better sounding amp. The Frontman would only be ok if you want a purely clean platform for pedals and it's dirt cheap. The OD on a Frontman makes an MG look good; quite frankly, it's unusable.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification