Say for example I wanted an American Strat but in a different color however with exactly the same stock specs or a Left handed Yngwie Malmsteen model. If i went up to my local dealer and asked them to place a "special spec" order, will Fender comply with a moderate pricing or will i have to pay for it in diamonds? Sorry it's just that i don't want to look like an idiot over there so i'm asking here

P.S: Can you guys help me find a Lefty Yngwie?
Any custom options, builds, construction requests, finishes, modifications or anything else would go through the custom shop. You're buying a custom guitar, expect to pay for it. They will not simply take a regular guitar off their production line and refinish it in a different color.

If you think Fender's custom shop is expensive then look elsewhere. Fender are one of the cheapest custom shops there is. You may find local builders who can make what you want for cheaper though. Or if it's something simple like just a different color then you could buy a regular version of the guitar and just pay a local builder to refinish it for you.
Quote by John_Hunter
Not if I kill you first SuperSac

your not the first death threat ive gotton
....and you wont be my last

this is what its like to be left handed in guitar land
Yeah, I might as well buy an Olympic White Strat with a Maple Fretboard, have it scalloped and then wait for it to age to get that nice creamy color *Drools*

Oh and SuperSac.....
Quote by John_Hunter
Yeah, I might as well buy an Olympic White Strat with a Maple Fretboard, have it scalloped and then wait for it to age to get that nice creamy color *Drools*

Oh and SuperSac.....

yeah that seemslike the best idea

and i call being the left one
Quote by John_Hunter
Say for example I wanted an American Strat but in a different color however with exactly the same stock specs or a Left handed Yngwie Malmsteen model. If i went up to my local dealer and asked them to place a "special spec" order, will Fender comply with a moderate pricing or will i have to pay for it in diamonds? Sorry it's just that i don't want to look like an idiot over there so i'm asking here

P.S: Can you guys help me find a Lefty Yngwie?

From what I've seen, of any major manufacturer, Fender is the most reasonable when it comes to their Custom shop. None of the big companies have a quick turnaround with stuff, but still -- Fender is very reasonable.

Let's see, starting off with just a nice Strat you're easily looking at $1,000 - $1,500. To get something built for you, off the factory line, if it only cost double you'd be in pretty good shape. That's doable with Fender's Custom Shop.

So with a Yngwie Malmsteen costing around $2,000 I think you can see where this is going.

Did you have a budget in mind?
Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
Last edited by richardlpalmer at Nov 14, 2011,
Quote by JELIFISH19
Warmoth?

Seems you could piece one together relatively inexpensively...
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
Quote by Captaincranky
Unless you have to display your "individualism" by having the exact same guitar as someone else, Carvin makes great guitars. They even have "Strat-ish" ones, painted every color of the rainbow: http://www.carvinguitars.com/customshop/boltneck.php

But to be fair, finding a scalloped lefty isn't the easiest thing in the world to find...
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
Quote by JELIFISH19
Warmoth?

Absolutely the smartest thing to do. I have built 2 Strats in the past using Warmoth parts and a couple of other brands. The Warmoth parts were far superior, particularly the fret work, and just fit together perfectly. My Tele is Warmoth parts.

Something I've always been impressed with was the ease with which I was able to achieve a good setup after assembly.
PRS SC245
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
Quilter OD200, 101 Reverb and Mini
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
Is there anyone near you that builds guitars professionally? Im getting a local guy to build me a martin acoustic copy, for about a grand cheaper than in the shops.They are on par with any of the nicest martins Ive played...... Just an idea, might be worth looking into
07 Gibson Les Paul LE
06 Fender Mex Strat - SDJb Jr, duckbucker, lil 59
Floor
Cry Baby 95Q-> Digitech Whammy -> DD3 -> MXR Micro Amp-> TU 2
Loop
Holy Grail ->Boss Rc20 Loop Station
Amp
Laney GH50 with Zilla Fatboy 2x12 (celestion g12-65)
Quote by gerrywm
Is there anyone near you that builds guitars professionally? Im getting a local guy to build me a martin acoustic copy, for about a grand cheaper than in the shops.They are on par with any of the nicest martins Ive played...... Just an idea, might be worth looking into

This is also good advice. There are tremendously talented luthiers out there that are happy to build custom instruments of the finest quality -- while making good profits for themselves that are far less than what a larger company would need...
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native