Page 1 of 2
I've always wondered about this. They write decent songs and get lots of airplay and yet they seem to be hated by everyone. Recently, I heard that city of Detroit signed a petition banning Nickelback from playing during the half-time show.

So does everybody have any ideas?? Why are they hated so much?

ron666
Because everyone is jealous of how talented they are.
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
Quote by steve_muse
Because everyone is jealous of how talented they are.

This.

Sad, really.
They write decent songs and get lots of airplay

There ya go.
Not exactly a frequent poster.
Because they make garbage music, and people don't want to hear that.
Quote by Diamond Dave

Things that restored my faith in humanity this year: 26
Things that removed all faith in humanity this year: 1,563,745,234 (estimated)

so that's a result of -1,563,745,208 faith points in humanity lost, which is actually up from last year!
Kind of funny but you get warned for making a troll thread.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
We associate them with trailer parks.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
They were a great hard rock band in the old albums, I'll give them that. But this new stuff is just repeated song ideas and they all sound the same. Not to mention how overrated they are.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus
Jackson King V
Jackson Kelly
Handmade Gibson Les Paul
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100/JCM900 1960 Lead cab
I dont hate them. I was never a huge fan, but I somewhat liked a fair chunk of their early stuff. I just find they're too cheesy now, kinda lacking whatever substance their early stuff had.
MY Music
AMPS:
Chute CC-04 2x12
GUITARS:
Fender American Deluxe Strat SSS (with DG-20's)
Martin Dx-1
PEDALS:
Big Muff Pi Tone Wicker
Keeley Mod Bluesdriver
Holy Grail Plus Reverb
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal
i used to like them but now that im no longer 12 i have realised how poor their songs actually are.
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
shitty bandname comes with shitty music comes with shitty people comes with shit...

that's one reason
Quote by Ulalume
I had a friend who was held at gunpoint as a cashier. The robber told him to give him all the money in the register and what not. Apparently my friend then replied, "Would you like a slurpee with that?"
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Then there's just the whole bandwagon thing, it's just kind of cool to not like them. No one's jealous about anything.

I'm sure some are possibly doing it to be cool, but I think the majority of people realize it's really crappy music, I don't wanna hear about a guy screwing a girl in a car then her father sees them. That and I'm not too fond of his voice, or the way they write music. Never liked em and I wouldn't care if everyone else did.
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Then there's just the whole bandwagon thing, it's just kind of cool to not like them. No one's jealous about anything.

I think more and more people are just realizing how usesless plebcore shitrock is.
plebcore
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
Last edited by steve_muse at Nov 14, 2011,
rockstar is so genius because he is being sarcastic which went over everybodys head who dont like to party. i party therefore i like nickelback. nobody understands them. Bottles Up!
Quote by turncoat60%
rockstar is so genius because he is being sarcastic which went over everybodys head who dont like to party. i party therefore i like nickelback. nobody understands them. Bottles Up!

Yeah, they are a pretty deep and cryptic band.
Some people like cupcakes exclusively, while myself, I say there is naught nor ought there be nothing so exalted on the face of God's grey Earth as that prince of foods:

the muffin!
7 albums, they’ve been around a long time with their first album in 1996, and they’ve managed to become the 2nd best selling foreign act in the U.S. behind The Beatles for the 2000's.

They found a niche that made them popular..... And wealthy... but it's not what a lot of music purists (or snobs) call "Art"

I'd go with jealousy
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
The reason I don't like them is two-fold. For one, their songs just get thrashed and I get sick of them. And two, I look for more in lyrics than drinking, rutting and reminiscing.
There just isn't much depth in their music. I see no reason to hear any of their songs more than once.
This isn't coincidence
there's no such
thing
I loved their stuff up until they came out with the Dark Horse(or whatever it's called) album, that album was a complete sell out, just about sex and drugs, no real depth to any of the songs, which is mainly why nobody likes them anymore, all their songs have awesome riffs and stuff in them, but the lyrics are just....bland.
I wonder if Nickelback is gonna wind up being like those boy bands. Like, now that I'm not in the fifth grade I can admit that Truly Madly Deeply by Savage Garden is a badass song.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
I wonder if Nickelback is gonna wind up being like those boy bands. Like, now that I'm not in the fifth grade I can admit that Truly Madly Deeply by Savage Garden is a badass song.

Agreed.

And I dunno about jealousy guys, sure they are famous and rich and yadda yadda yadda but they have to be Nickleback...a Canadian pop-rock band. I'd be jealous if they got famous for being an Alaskan rootgrass fusion band, 'cause that would be cool. Not sure why Alaska...but it feels right.
Some people like cupcakes exclusively, while myself, I say there is naught nor ought there be nothing so exalted on the face of God's grey Earth as that prince of foods:

the muffin!
^I've hung out with a group of Alaskans me and my friend were sharing a hostel with. They were greatly cool. Unsurprising obviously, given their natural habitat.
Quote by Jack Off Jill

This will probably get you in Kai's sig. The chorus is sooo catchy!

Stuff I don't like about Nickelback:
- Formulaic catalog
- Their formula is to be really bland
- Their songs have no depth
- Their target audience consists of bros, trailer park folk and possibly soccer moms. They themselves are approaching 40, are rich as hell and are possibly guys.
- They're in a position where they could easily experiment and change it up, but they won't.

For these reasons I don't listen to them or recognise their music as art, not even as bad art. They're just a stock photo that comes with a photo frame.
Whoever the front man is for that band is he just has an extremely punchable face.

I don't know their music at all except for that wanna be a rock star song because its been on the radio. If I heard any other songs of theirs on the radio I didnt notice because it probably sounded unremarkable and generic.
Quote by frankv

For these reasons I don't listen to them or recognise their music as art, not even as bad art. They're just a stock photo that comes with a photo frame.

This.

the muffin!
Meh. I outgrew them, simply put. And, I'm not a person who says you always have to listen to deep and "more interesting" music, but hearing songs about strip clubs, sex, and getting excessively drunk gets old after awhile. It's like having hair metal lyrics infused with grunge influences; I wouldn't mind if it wasn't so blatantly formulaic. Plus, it's pretty evident that they're not entirely honest when you have one song glorifying absolute decadence next to a song that's begging a girlfriend to never leave. It's not that they aren't skilled as musicians, minus the vocalist who sounds like a goat (for one, it's definitely not easy to write a pop song). It's more of the fact that they revel in being skin-deep.
But, that's just my opinion. There's no right or wrong answer to liking music.
Quote by Jackal58
I eat dead meat all the time. You don't have to chase it around your plate and it doesn't try to peck your eyes out.

It Happens.

My Gear:

-Custom Fender MIM Black Strat
-Mesa/Boogie Rect-O-Verb
-Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
fun, light, fluffl...leaves you wanting something more substantial in the end.... typical popcorn stuff. i like popcorn once in a while, even if a hust gets stuck in my teeth occasionally.
I liked them when I was 12ish, but changed my mind when I realised how derivative they are and how many bands did a better version of what they do in the decade before.
Having said that, this thread motivated me to listen to 'How You Remind Me' for the first time in years and to be honest, if the same song had been released by the Foo Fighters, most people here would probably be okay with it.
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
Holy Crap.

I love you more than life itself.
They are a complicated band, when it comes to the fans.
I think that the first people to like them was people that loved hard rock. Nickelback was one of the prime originators of post-grunge modern rock. They got popular quite quickly, but not in a way of a "flash in the pan" band. To most people it seemed their songs had substance - at least to a point.

In that position, they were able to help other post-grunge bands along in production, songwriting, etc. especially in canada. Because of this Chad Kroeger was starting to be recognized as a songwriter - not in the sense of Bob Dylan, but more in a sense of being a "hired gun". Then came the Spiderman song, and it clinched it. From then on, Kroeger and Nickelback did not become artists (in fact who knows if they ever would have been if he hadn't become such a songwriting commodity) He/they became radio pop song writers for the non-Britney crowd.

It is this that has brought post-grunge to the mainstream and endeared them to the top-40 crowd, but also which has made them archenemies of the "true music fans" who always search for something more in music than a catchy chorus and a tune to hum in the shower. It really seems like they have turned their back on real rock in favour of money.

So this is how they have stayed popular (the top 40 crowd is quite a chunk of the population) and at the same time became the most hated rock band in the world.
i love nickelback dude. haters hate because there jelous dont worry what others think i like nickelback. but if anything people hate becasue they sold out to mainstream but its hard not to in the modern day world.
Quote by jedke
i love nickelback dude. haters hate because there jelous dont worry what others think i like nickelback. but if anything people hate becasue they sold out to mainstream but its hard not to in the modern day world.

lol
It's just too commercial and uninteresting. Being uninteresting is worse than being just bad.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Nickelback is like plain vanilla ice cream... not bad, but uninspired and often bland. I don't scream in pain and turn the channel if they come on the radio, but neither to I particularly care to listen in. They are the background noise in the spectrum of modern pop-rock.
They're what's wrong with rock today. Really boring guitar coupled with awful singing and lyrics. Nickelback and some other groups are what 90's grunge sh*t on the floor and left for the janitor to clean up. Still waiting for that janitor...
i can understand why people like them, and i can understand why people dont, everybody likes different bands and different types of music. personally Nickelback are my favourite band but i like hundreds of bands....i dont like KoRn, System of a Down, Megadeth and many others but i can admit they are talented people who some people look up to. dont see why people waste their time hating on certain bands, its pathetic really. well thats my opinion anyways.
I'm long over them. Bands that get played over and over, who's music sounds the same, album after album, song after song bore me very quickly. I don't get how they are still the top selling rock band. Plenty of bands out there who are better with vocals and songwriting, SIXX:AM for example.
Page 1 of 2