I was wondering if theres a machine or something out there that is capable of tabbing anything you play on guitar for you like as you do it by detecting frequencies of sounds and the pitch and matching it with where on the fret board that comes from. Seems like thatd be a pretty cool invention.
Quote by Electra327
I was wondering if theres a machine or something out there that is capable of tabbing anything you play on guitar for you like as you do it by detecting frequencies of sounds and the pitch and matching it with where on the fret board that comes from. Seems like thatd be a pretty cool invention.

MIDI Guitar. Being able to tab out things is more valuable as player though.
it would be more awesome if you had a program that would tell you how to play a certain song by just opening it in the app. No more shite tabs forever!

What you're looking for though is a guitar with MIDI output, indeed.
Quote by Ulalume
I had a friend who was held at gunpoint as a cashier. The robber told him to give him all the money in the register and what not. Apparently my friend then replied, "Would you like a slurpee with that?"
Roland Gk3 pickup and relevant processor (GR-20 or GR-55). Followed by notation software of your choice (Finale, Sibelius) or straight into your DAW to be converted later.
Quote by TimTheWizard
it would be more awesome if you had a program that would tell you how to play a certain song by just opening it in the app. No more shite tabs forever!

might be five or ten years away but I think it's possible. Many of the pitch correction software you can purchase is already polyphonic. If you have Melodyne for example you can record yourself playing a chord on the guitar and not only will it tell you the notes that were in the chord you can change an individual note from within that chord.

You can use it and play your guitar and it will notate what you play as TS considered but it still leaves a lot to be desired and it would probably would leave him a little disappointed.

In 10 years or so i think both of your suggestions could be reality.
Si
Last edited by 20Tigers at Nov 15, 2011,
I used to own a GR-20 and a guitar with a GK-3, and not only is the sound terrible(which is fine, it's MIDI), but it's extremely imprecise with recognizing notes at any moderately quick speed.

Not worth the cost to be honest.
Quote by ciadude2
I used to own a GR-20 and a guitar with a GK-3, and not only is the sound terrible(which is fine, it's MIDI), but it's extremely imprecise with recognizing notes at any moderately quick speed.

Not worth the cost to be honest.

i played with one at guitar center and i gotta say this is the most honest review. its a really cool idea but between the cost of the setup and the guitar you'll need to "modify" it's not terribly practical. If you're getting into midi setups i'd basically recommend the setup matt bellamy from muse uses (google is your friend)
look at fretlite guitars. from what ive heard, they have pretty crappy tone, but they will 'show you' how to play a song. just dont try throught the fire and flames