Im sure everyone is sick of these by now but help me out. Im in the market for a tube amp (head or combo) that works great for rock and metal. Let me put some emphasis on metal since thats what I play 75% of the time. Ive been looking at used more than new. I play with les paul style HH guitars with passive pickups.

My price range goes up to 600 or so and so far Ive really been set on some used Peaveys. My front runner is a 5150 or 6505 212 combo. I know they are kind of a one trick pony, but that lead channel is to die for in my opinion. Ive also been looking at the 6505+ 112 combo and would love some info on how that differs from the 212s. I realize its the + so its different in that aspect but I want to know if it truly has that 5150 sound that we all know. Im also a bit worried about the build quality compared to the American combos.

Im looking at some other used peaveys as well including the VTM, Ultra Plus (if I can find one), Triple XXX combo, and JSX combo. Tell me what you guys would look for in my situation. Try and introduce me to an amp I havnt thought of yet. Thanks.
Blackstar HT series?
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
^definately look for one of those.

but the 6505 is the same thing as the 5150 (peavey's anniversary 1965-2005). 212 is just gonna be heavy as shit. if you really feel like u need more speakers just drop a 212 or bigger underneath it and u'll be fine with that. the 112 will be plenty loud enough
Quote by andrerist
but the 6505 is the same thing as the 5150 (peavey's anniversary 1965-2005). 212 is just gonna be heavy as shit. if you really feel like u need more speakers just drop a 212 or bigger underneath it and u'll be fine with that. the 112 will be plenty loud enough
But the 212 is USA made and overall sounds better and is constructed better. It's worth the extra weight.
Well the 212 is 20lbs more than the 1x12. So it depends on how often you have to move it around. If you want less individual weight, get a 2x12 cab and a used 6505 (6505, 6505+, 5150 or 5150 II) head. Overall, it's heavier, but less per trip to the van and back Check your local craigslist and see what you can find. You could also look at the blackstar ht-20 or jet city jca50.

What kind of metal are you playing?
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs