One day I will own a Paul Reed Smith. That's probably the last guitar I'll need to top off my collection. So in looking for this dream PRS I'd like to know a few things about the brand from the people who own them or are fanatics about them. I know for sure that I'll want a double cut rather than a single cut and that everything will need to be perfect on the guitar if it is to be the one. Other than that I don't know too much about them and I have a few questions to narrow down my search, especially on the used market.

What's the difference between a McCarty and a Custom 24 or 22? Is a CE24/22 a custom? In terms of top, is the 10 top the best? What is their most expensive pickup?
Quote by Necronomicon
One day I will own a Paul Reed Smith. That's probably the last guitar I'll need to top off my collection. So in looking for this dream PRS I'd like to know a few things about the brand from the people who own them or are fanatics about them. I know for sure that I'll want a double cut rather than a single cut and that everything will need to be perfect on the guitar if it is to be the one. Other than that I don't know too much about them and I have a few questions to narrow down my search, especially on the used market.

What's the difference between a McCarty and a Custom 24 or 22? Is a CE24/22 a custom? In terms of top, is the 10 top the best? What is their most expensive pickup?

10 top is generally top notch, anything above that goes on private stock, one offs, etc.

Custom 22/24 is the stereotypical double cut prs, either hard tail or tremolo, only difference is the number of frets.

Mccarty is slightly thicker, has more vintage PAF style pickups, and is hardtail. A heavier fatter guitar.

CE 22/24 (what I have!!) are discontinued bolt neck guitars. Basically constructed in the same vein as a custom, just bolted on. Simple, player guitars, often with plain maple tops, either alder or mahogany body and a maple neck. They play and sound very nice, and can be had much cheaper than a custom.

I don't know about the most expensive pickup, they're all pretty expensive. It just depends on the sound you want.
Gear:
1998 PRS CE 22-10 Top Natural Finish
MIM HSS Strat-Electron Blue
Vox AC4TV
Quote by Necronomicon
One day I will own a Paul Reed Smith.

what kind of music do you play and what is your budget?

mccartys have a thicker body, greater neck angle, and thinner headstock. unless we are talking about the mccarty hollowbody, then it's hollow too.

the main difference between the CU22 and CU24 is the neck length and pups. some 22s had trems, some didn't.

CE22/24s had various body woods used, alder, mahogany. bolt on necks, fewer 10 tops and bird guitars. pups generally the same as the CU respective models. (older ones, not the new CU24 that has 59/09s)

the pups aren't expensive, the guitar they are attached to is.

your turn.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Nov 14, 2011,
my style isn't contained to one thing I really do play everything you can imagine, from shred to sing-a-long acoustic and mayer-style jazz. I know these guitars are versatile so I'm not too concerned about that. I'm also just starting my research into finally buying one of these so I'm just trying to learn as much as possible about all the different versions that are out. in terms of "most expensive pickup" what I really meant is are there some that are higher quality than others or are they just different styles at the same quality level? I see Dragon II a lot.
Dragon II pickups are mostly a thing of the past, unless you are buying used. If you don't mind my asking, what amp(s) will you be playing through? I never clicked with a DII, but I didn't have the greatest amps back then. One thing to know is that they have many different pickups that vary by guitar model.
ok generally speaking if you play a fair amount of modern metal AND a bunch of other genres the HFS/BASS was my choice.

that said, throw "acoustic" into the mix and jazz and you would find the piezo option on the hollowbody models very useful.

don't let the hollowbody part fool you. the clip on my profile was done with a prs hollowbody with piezo pups. it hits some sick metal tones without a problem. the magnetic pups were 245s. (the amp is a peters).

just some food for thought.

(i'm not a fan of dragon pups either)
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
If you really want to learn anything about a PRS guitar, play a couple of different models then you´ll understand what it´s all about. Have fun learning.
Well I do have other guitars so if it doesn't give a nice acoustic sound that's not a big deal, I'm looking for mainly what you mentioned there for the HFS/BASS pickups. I'll definitely be trying out whatever I can along the way but it's good to know what to look for/expect, especially when trying out a bunch of people's guitars. Thanks everyone.
I don't think PRS is still making the CU22. They have a new Studio model, which is 22 frets, but has a bridge humbucker plus two narrowfield pups in front. (These are humbuckers, strictly speaking, but with a narrower design that sounds somewhat single-coil like.)

In comparing used CU22s and CU24s (both with a pair of humbuckers), you'll notice that the pick-ups are a bit closer together on the 24, which is a natural by-product of it having two more frets, but the same 25" scale length. So there is a bit less difference in sound between the neck and bridge pups, on the 24-fret models, compared to the 22-fret models.

I'm also in the looking around process, debating between CU24's, CU22's, and possibly McCarty's, or a new Studio. I'm not really looking at Hollowbodies, but if a super deal on one presented itself, I'd have to think about it!
Also, the tremonti pickups are pretty sweet for shredding, I believe they're the hottest pickups that prs makes.
Gear:
1998 PRS CE 22-10 Top Natural Finish
MIM HSS Strat-Electron Blue
Vox AC4TV