My life is kinda bland. I work in a call center, I drive a mediocre car and make a mediocre salary, I go to community college online and at night sometimes, I smoke weed and I spend a lot of time and money doing pretty much nothing.

I look around and I see all my friends and family either leaving this area as fast as they can, or getting sucked into terrible full-time jobs, renting modest trailers and apartments, getting knocked up and doing heavier drugs to cope with it all. Everyone staying in our tiny little town is either getting really serious about life or going completely crazy, and either way it's really sad and I don't enjoy seeing or being around it.

A few of my friends are moving to Boston next summer, and I'm considering going with them. I don't enjoy my job and I'm bored of public education...I hate the area I'm in and it kills me emotionally every day to see all the people I know wasting their lives or leaving me. I really don't want to get stuck in this town for the rest of my life.

I don't have a girlfriend, and I'm not terribly close with my family besides my grandpa.

Should I go to Boston? I know it'll be tough and I know sacrificing education for adventure and a change of scenery is probably not the best idea, but honestly, failure in Boston sounds better than success in southwestern Virginia.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
You should get swole and then even if you're homeless you will still get pussy because who gives a shit as long as you look good and have a 6 pack and swole arms.
Dude if friends that you really care about are going then go. Every time I get the urge to do this I always stop myself because I have no one who would go with me.

If you can have adventure and friends, then you're made.
I've decided that my signature is terrible. I'm open to suggestions.

Click me, or I'll die.

# Un-nominated in UG Top 100,
Quote by ChadLikesGuitar
You should get swole and then even if you're homeless you will still get pussy because who gives a shit as long as you look good and have a 6 pack and swole arms.

Bro! *noddincap*

For real though, do it if you want. Just make sure you have some money saved for when you go there. You dont wanna be that broke ass friend not pulling his weight
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
I say do it...
You only live once right?
I live in a big city (Vancouver) and I've gotta say it's pretty cool.
Hugging Thread; I'm here to help

Oh you wouldn’t want an angel watching over
Surprise, surprise they wouldn’t wannna watch
Another uninnocent, elegant fall
Into the unmagnificent lives of adults

It's Tessa, not Tesse please.
I say get a high school diploma then do whatever you want.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by Jako215
Move.
"You are not really a Man until you travel." Ever heard that one before?

Nope.

How are you not close with your family? If your friends ditch you family is all you got. But I say do it. You only live once.
aaaawwwww yeeeehhhhhh Booooston!

If you visit I'll show you around.
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Nov 14, 2011,
Average thread in the Pit:

"I hate school, have a shitty job, and smoke weed. Will my situation improve if I move to a totally different city?"

No... no it will not.
ONE of my closest friends is going, the other three guys going not so much.

I think I may do it. I'm going to start saving money this winter and into Spring, and I'll make my decision then.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
I know sacrificing education for adventure and a change of scenery is probably not the best idea

I beg to differ. Assuming you have high school education and from what I can gather about your current predicament, it sounds like the absolute best idea. I say do it man, she's a big world and there's only one way to see it!

Good luck either way!
I want to read your essays and blogs of the artistic nature!

Art evokes the mystery without which the world would not exist.

- Rene Magritte
Quote by mike_anderson25
I beg to differ. Assuming you have high school education and from what I can gather about your current predicament, it sounds like the absolute best idea. I say do it man, she's a big world and there's only one way to see it!

Good luck either way!
yeah, he could probably transfer whatever credits he has to a college in boston anyway, if he wanted to
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
If not now when? The circumstances sound right, just make sure you have money saved up, then go kick some ass dude.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by Tessalate
I say do it...
You only live once right?
I live in a big city (Vancouver) and I've gotta say it's pretty cool.

Vancouver is not cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmDWHLDRM8k take this with you OP. Do it please, for me. And PM me and give me life tips if you don't make a thread about the move.

OP life is gay. DO it. Now. Think of me. Take a tin whistle with you. listen to the song.

edit: see socal has the right idea
you should go for it. its a shame to never know more then the town where you were born. if you get finicially ****ed you can always move back. try to set up a few job interviews for the week you first move up, and save up as much money to live for the period of time you think will take to find a job.
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
Important question: What are you going to do once you're in Boston?

What you do is as if not more important than where you are. If nothing else, you do have a job and a place to call home here. If you're just going to New England to get away from Virginia and have absolutely no forethought, it's just going to be worse, because now you're going to have to get an apartment or house in an even more pricey area most likely, and you'll have to find a job. You'll be even more miserable there.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Nov 15, 2011,
Quote by necrosis1193
Important question: What are you going to do once you're in Boston?

Work as a janitor at MIT.
Quote by Twist of fate
We don't want him to re-enact the non existent sequel to "Good Will Hunting" bro

Um, what are you talking about? There is totally a sequel. After Matt Damon left, Ben Affleck turned to a life of crimes. First, just petty theft but he quickly moved onto bank robberies. It's the tragic and all too typical life of a Southie.
You could move in with a few friends, as long as you have some form of money (savings, a job, or some income), then it is pretty beneficial.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
Quote by MakinLattes
I dropped everything and moved away. I ended up working at a call center and going to community college. True story.

so you regret it?
Quote by dudetheman
My life is kinda bland. I work in a call center, I drive a mediocre car and make a mediocre salary, I go to community college online and at night sometimes, I smoke weed and I spend a lot of time and money doing pretty much nothing.

I look around and I see all my friends and family either leaving this area as fast as they can, or getting sucked into terrible full-time jobs, renting modest trailers and apartments, getting knocked up and doing heavier drugs to cope with it all. Everyone staying in our tiny little town is either getting really serious about life or going completely crazy, and either way it's really sad and I don't enjoy seeing or being around it.

A few of my friends are moving to Boston next summer, and I'm considering going with them. I don't enjoy my job and I'm bored of public education...I hate the area I'm in and it kills me emotionally every day to see all the people I know wasting their lives or leaving me. I really don't want to get stuck in this town for the rest of my life.

I don't have a girlfriend, and I'm not terribly close with my family besides my grandpa.

Should I go to Boston? I know it'll be tough and I know sacrificing education for adventure and a change of scenery is probably not the best idea, but honestly, failure in Boston sounds better than success in southwestern Virginia.

Sound to me like you've already kinda made up your mind on the matter, but now just want some reassurance.

So based on what you said about how much you hate it yada yada yada...I say go for it man. You can always move back if you decide you don't like the move. Or even settle down somewhere else completely.

Either way, take the bull by the scrotum, and go for it my friend! And best of luck to you
You cannot choose the little time you're given in this world. You enter bare and unclothed, provided only with intelligence enough to choose how you spend your time. You always have a choice. Always. Though be warned, your choice can rarely be undone
Last edited by rockdude375 at Nov 16, 2011,
Quote by dudetheman
Then perhaps you should watch this movie!
Southwestern VA, if it's anything like Cana which I visit occasionally you should GTFO. Soon. On moving you'll have more job opportunities if you get yourself out there and look for them. Moving by itself won't change your habits and outlook. But if you land a fulfilling job it will help.

Seems like you have very few ties holding you down. Just go for it. But have a plan B too. Maybe a plan C.
Last edited by BlackVoid at Nov 16, 2011,