Hey guys im looking into getting a mackie sr24-4 mixing console. What do you guys think about it live and recording wise for an alternative rock scene? also one noob question, what does it mean when mixers have "busses" ex: 4 bus, 8 bus etc.
Its more of a live board than a recording board. If you want a board for both live an mixing, I'd look into the Mackie Onyx 1640. You can find the old ones on Ebay for about $800 with the Firewire out card built in. I use one in my studio, I've had no problems recording all 16 inputs at the same time. Plus, if you want to take it to a show, you've got more than enough inputs for everything.

As for busses, think of it like an effects loop on a guitar amp. Its a separate loop you can stick effects into.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by lockwolf
Its more of a live board than a recording board. If you want a board for both live an mixing, I'd look into the Mackie Onyx 1640. You can find the old ones on Ebay for about $800 with the Firewire out card built in. I use one in my studio, I've had no problems recording all 16 inputs at the same time. Plus, if you want to take it to a show, you've got more than enough inputs for everything.

As for busses, think of it like an effects loop on a guitar amp. Its a separate loop you can stick effects into.

i agree with this.

If you're noob enough to be asking what bus is, why do you need a high-end mixer?
A two-bus mixer will mix everything down to a single stereo pair for an output, usually labelled Master Out, Master Bus, Main Out, etc.

From there, with more buses, you have more options as to what outputs to route things to. You could have a tape out bus for sending a signal to a recorder. You could have a Monitor Bus on a live mixer that would allow you to send different levels to the monitors and the mains. You can also have an aux bus (or two or three or four or....) which will work as an effects loop, or a number of other applications.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.