Saw RJA and the kid came out on stage and really had a great 3 minute solo...I know this is mostly hammer ons and pull offs but what type of playing is this called? I know there is a more specific name for it besides HO/PO. I wanna try and practice this more but any help with playing like he does during the guitar close up would be appreciated...Cheers!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2joVqcL3F8
Legato?
Quote by skylerjames13
This +10000

You're a decent 11'er Bryc3e

Nothing can keep you away from the need to create.. Cause your path is free! - Jari Maenpaa
Thought that was it! Do you have to practice legato with a metronome seeing as how you are only picking once or twice?
nah man it's actually a lot easier than picking individual notes. of course you can practice it with a metronome and you'll benefit but it is by no means required. find or make up triplet runs (pretty common in a7x stuff if you listen to that) and practice away

that was quite nice camera work in that clip too btw.
Last edited by Necronomicon at Nov 15, 2011,
Definitely work on in with a metronome. Try to play a pentatonic without picking at all. Just use hammer-ons, and pull-offs. It's a challenge, but do-able.
language
jazyk
kieli
язык
العربية

My Tumblr: Lots of artist recommendations, album reviews, and ideas about music (as well as some film and bike stuff).

Go Sharks! Go Wings! Go Flyers! Go Kings!
LOL at "I just picked up a guitar in front of him at the Guitar Center, just started shredding, and that's pretty much why I'm here."

jesus christ.
Whats a good bpm to start at? And if i play the penatonic scale wont I have to pick the first note of every new string?
Quote by blasian
Whats a good bpm to start at? And if i play the penatonic scale wont I have to pick the first note of every new string?

In a practical situation, yes. BUT! For the sake of improving your legato, you can either:

1. Hammer on each string hard enough that it sounds good.

2. Fret the next string, and as you pull of, pluck with your fretting hand.

In either case, the goal is to make it sound even. I started with slow, easy pentatonics. Again, more of a "drill," than anything you'd use. Good practice though.
language
jazyk
kieli
язык
العربية

My Tumblr: Lots of artist recommendations, album reviews, and ideas about music (as well as some film and bike stuff).

Go Sharks! Go Wings! Go Flyers! Go Kings!
Okay...Are there any good songs with a decent somewhat easy legato solo to start me off while i practice and stuff?
Quote by blasian
Whats a decent somewhat good BPM goal for legato to have?

This should vary depending on what type of music you play and what your goals are as a guitar player.

If you played blues then there's no need for you to achieve a legato of 200bpm at 16th notes.

Its simply up to you to set a good BPM goal for your legato and it should always be sufficient enough to play whatever melodic line your trying to perform.

You should only learn to play as fast as your musical creativity/music requires you to. Otherwise your just wasting your time on speed that you'll never use.
Last edited by dannydawiz at Nov 20, 2011,
Quote by blasian
Whats a decent somewhat good BPM goal for legato to have?

None. Guitar isn't a sport, it's not about numbers and too many players get hung up on chasing the metronome.

Your goal is to play music, so your legato, like all your other skills, simply needs to be good enough to play the music you want to play...numbers are meaningless in this context.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Well there is a few legato solos I really like and alot of them are close to the speed in that video...So what would you say that is? Like how many BPM?