Page 1 of 3
This thread isn't about the film. (Which is awesome, btw)

It is about how America act like the World Police.

Is it justified, based on their status, population, Government etc?

Is it wrong - They're just a country, after all.

Discuss.
RIP Tom Searle.
I would try to play devil's advocate, but I've got nothing. The UN and NATO are sort of in place to be the "world police," and we always seem to have ulterior motives.

That and everything we do is like poking a beehive with a stick...stupid.
language
jazyk
kieli
язык
العربية

My Tumblr: Lots of artist recommendations, album reviews, and ideas about music (as well as some film and bike stuff).

Go Sharks! Go Wings! Go Flyers! Go Kings!
Quote by Weaponxclaws
I think those countries that receive help from us, love us and those who don't, hate us.

I'm moving back to Canada anyway so I don't give two shits.

No thanks, I'll keep on hating you.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by Jawlytomtom
**** the world police

Comin' straight out the world underground,
Young afghan got it bad,
They think he got a gun,
And not the other color,
So world police think,
They have the authority,
To kill a minority.

OT: I love the USA for actively trying to help the rest of the world.

EDIT:
Quote by Trowzaa
No thanks, I'll keep on hating you.

No-one cares what England thinks, you guys are old and uncool.
Last edited by devourke at Nov 15, 2011,
This thread sucks...but not as much as Pearl Harbor.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
derka derka derka. mohammed jihad! great movie. i still need to see the book of mormon.
"Everyone has AIDS"

That was the real message from this movie. None of the political bullshit.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
ITT: jealous of our freedom

>>-(ಠ_ಠ-<<
>>-(. Y .)-<<
>>> . (<<<
>>-( Y )-<<
Quote by dudetheman
Dude, your fucking sig creeps me out.

Quote by Kosh H
I just noticed his sig too...I feel uncomfortable now...

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Your sig killed my boner _

DIY SO-CAL PUNK LABEL
I don't think it's our job.

Now that said, I do think that we should definitely contribute to NATO, and, given how gigantic our military is, contribute a fair amount to it since we have the resources, because the fact of the matter is the world isn't a nice and happy place if you just leave it alone, there needs to be something out there.

But I don't think it's one country's job alone, both due to the burden of doing os, as well as the fact it's impossible for one country doing it to be consistently, genuinely unbiased.

inb4 this becomes an iHateamericafest.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Quote by necrosis1193

I got your back Ameribros
Quote by necrosis1193

Now that said, I do think that we should definitely contribute to NATO, and, given how gigantic our military is, contribute a fair amount to it since we have the resources, because the fact of the matter is the world isn't a nice and happy place if you just leave it alone, there needs to be something out there.

But I don't think it's one country's job alone, both due to the burden of doing os, as well as the fact it's impossible for one country doing it to be consistently, genuinely unbiased.

Our military is not gigantic. It is the smallest percentage of the overall population that it has been in generations.
My God, it's full of stars!
I'm in 'Merica and I think we need to mind our own business. We have enough problems at home that we don't aren't taking care of. We need to leave everyone else the **** alone.
My sig? Nice.
There's nothing wrong with foreign intervention, we just pick buttfuck stupid places to intervene and pants-on-head retarded ways of going about it. For example I'd have supported military action in Darfur. But as a superpower, I think it'd be nice to provide aid to countries even if it's not politically advantageous.
I am a Canadian. That said, what I have seen of the US government just seems retarded to me for the most part. Obama seems to me to be doing what little he can do to fix the US's reputation, but I really think he is in over his head; how could you make up for George W anyway?

One thing I have noticed from the "popular" view of Americans is that they tend to believe that they are the center of the world and this causes them all kinds of problems. Notice that I said that this was the "popular" view of Americans; I refuse to believe that the vast majority of individuals are really that stupid and pretentious, and I don't even know any Americans personally so I really can't say that for a fact.
Quote by Jesus
Gaza Strip- home. At least it was before I fucked ereythang up...
Quote by necrosis1193

Now that said, I do think that we should definitely contribute to NATO, and, given how gigantic our military is, contribute a fair amount to it since we have the resources, because the fact of the matter is the world doesn't play by your rules unless you enforce it yourself.

in after this became an iHateamericafest.

fixed it for you.

^The problems with the US sticking their nose in other nations business didn't start with George W. Jr., Since the nation was created it's been basking in it's own self-interest while telling the world it has the morale high-ground and has everyone else's best interest in mind.
Last edited by _KurtCobain_77 at Nov 15, 2011,
Quote by BurningTurkey
I'm in 'Merica and I think we need to mind our own business. We have enough problems at home that we don't aren't taking care of. We need to leave everyone else the **** alone.

Ah, how refreshing. Somebody with a brain.
I wouldn't say it's Americas agenda. The UN does, the UN gets all its power from the states that are in it. The most powerful of them is the USA. Nearly everything the UN does is carried out by the USA because they're the only state that can do it.

Then the politicians play it off as some moral crusade or whatever to keep public opinion from dropping catastrophically.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by BurningTurkey

See I can't get on board with this. If there are problems in the world, we shouldn't just ignore them because they aren't directly affecting us God-fearing Americans.
Quote by devourke

EDIT:
No-one cares what England thinks, you guys are old and uncool.

Damn right broseph Castles and shit over skyscrapers any day.

Quote by due 07
See I can't get on board with this. If there are problems in the world, we shouldn't just ignore them because they aren't directly affecting us God-fearing Americans.

So you think it's better to pick fights you can't win? Or only intervene when you're at risk of losing access to oil?
Quote by Dreadnought
Our military is not gigantic. It is the smallest percentage of the overall population that it has been in generations.

Cashmoney man. We have such a huge budget for the military, compared to most.

Well, we don't, but China has a huge budget for our military.
language
jazyk
kieli
язык
العربية

My Tumblr: Lots of artist recommendations, album reviews, and ideas about music (as well as some film and bike stuff).

Quote by Dreadnought

We're still the biggest military spenders in the world by a longshot. Over the last decade, the top five were Russia($58.7 billion), France($59.3 billion), the UK($59.6 billion), China($119 billion), and winning by more than the other five combined, America at $698 billion US dollars. If anyone's got military money to burn with NATO, its us.

Quote by _KurtCobain_77
fixed it for you.

Right, because nothing bad has ever happened in history when you just leave everyone alone and don't keep an eye on things.

Quote by Butt Rayge
So you think it's better to pick fights you can't win? Or only intervene when you're at risk of losing access to oil?

I'll always pick a fight I can't win if there's a chance I can help someone.
Quote by jambi_mantra
I wouldn't say it's Americas agenda. The UN does, the UN gets all its power from the states that are in it. The most powerful of them is the USA. Nearly everything the UN does is carried out by the USA because they're the only state that can do it.

Then the politicians play it off as some moral crusade or whatever to keep public opinion from dropping catastrophically.

Uh, Iraq? "nah UN, you can shove it, we're going in anyway."

Vietnam? Nicaragua? Every other Central and South American Nation except Cuba?

The UN is supposed to be the World Police, but when bureaucracy gets in the way, no one can stop the US, the Soviet Union also did this during the Cold War.

Quote by necrosis1193
Right, because nothing bad has ever happened in history when you just leave everyone alone and don't keep an eye on things.

We tried that, but your nation kept attacking us anyways.
Last edited by _KurtCobain_77 at Nov 15, 2011,
Quote by necrosis1193
We're still the biggest military spenders in the world by a longshot. Over the last decade, the top five were Russia($58.7 billion), France($59.3 billion), the UK($59.6 billion), China($119 billion), and winning by more than the other five combined, America at $698 billion US dollars. If anyone's got military money to burn with NATO, its us.

Aren't you guys in like 3 trillion debt? If anyone's got any money to burn, it isn't you.

Quote by Butt Rayge

Nah. Obviously our current foreign policy is decidedly selfish and imperialist, but my point is that foreign intervention isn't inherently bad - and as The Wonderful Fantastic Perfect Superpower, I'd say we have a moral obligation to help out when there are genocides happening around the world (even if it doesn't get us $$$).
Quote by devourke
I'll always pick a fight I can't win if there's a chance I can help someone.

But then your own people suffer because you've spent money on a losing battle that you could have spent helping them.

And probably killed a thousands upon thousands of the innocents you were supposedly trying to save. I think if the motive really was just to help out, they would care a bit more about the civilian casualties, and take more care to ensure there are no more.

Quote by due 07
Nah. Obviously our current foreign policy is decidedly selfish and imperialist, but my point is that foreign intervention isn't inherently bad - and as The Wonderful Fantastic Perfect Superpower, I'd say we have a moral obligation to help out when there are genocides happening around the world (even if it doesn't get us $$$).

See, I wouldn't take issue with that. Helping out countries that actually need help, instead of just helping where it suits you.
Last edited by Butt Rayge at Nov 15, 2011,
Quote by _KurtCobain_77
We tried that, but your nation kept attacking us anyways.

You're right, how could I forget about the 1997 war with Canada?

Quote by Trowzaa
Aren't you guys in like 3 trillion debt? If anyone's got any money to burn, it isn't you.

Hey, we've already bought it, may as well put it to good use instead of letting it collect dust in a shed somewhere.

Quote by due 07

I wholeheartedly agree with this, but we're pretty selective about which genocides we stop. I'm not saying its 100% an oil thing, but I think a combination of media, public opinion, and strategic factors are blurring our decisions to the point of illegitimizing some or all of them.
language
jazyk
kieli
язык
العربية

Quote by Butt Rayge
But then your own people suffer because you've spent money on a losing battle that you could have spent helping them.

And probably killed a thousands upon thousands of the innocents you were supposedly trying to save. I think if the motive really was just to help out, they would care a bit more about the civilian casualties, and take more care to ensure there are no more.

This is why I don't want a position of power. I can say what I'll do, but I wouldn't be able to tell other people to do it.
Actually, I think it is the opposite of post #14.

In my experience, the world is a happier place if you just acknowledge all the BS and distance yourself from it. Sure, some things you need to nip in the butt right away, but I think that trying to make the world a pleasant, happy place is just a futile quest. Trying to be the force that "makes everything right" will most likely end up in misery because you're trying to fix something FAR bigger than yourself. More often than not, people end up making these situations worse due to ignorance.

All you can really do is tell people what you think would be better and hope they have the sense to work it out themselves; doing this with force is just arrogant and counter-productive.

Then again, I am drunk and a bit high so I could just be talking out of my ass, lol.
Quote by Jesus
Quote by kaptkegan
Cashmoney man. We have such a huge budget for the military, compared to most.

Well, we don't, but China has a huge budget for our military.

How does money equate to "gigantic"? lol. I don't want to get into a debate about the budget, because most people don't understand it. For the record though, I was only referencing the size of the military relative to the entire population, which is abysmally low. It just so happens that the government outfits that same relatively small military with outstanding equipment, health care, facilities, infrastructure, etc.
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by due 07

The thing is, if we were spending the money HERE that we're thowing overseas, we'd most likely be better off. I can't speak for people in the states, but I can't name many people in Alaska that that are particularly fond of our government. By all means I think if we can help we should, but it's going to far anymore, I think. I also don't think that democracy is the fixall for every government.
My sig? Nice.
Quote by Trowzaa

No, it's bigger. Much bigger.
Quote by Jesus
I don't really have a problem with America's military intervening when it is necessary and helping those in need. But, when we hang out in places like Iraq and use our military as a glorified police force that is not cool. The US armed forces are not police. The military's only jobs should be to kill people and break things. Asking them to go over seas and be a police force is not what the US military should be doing.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Follow me on the tweet machine. I tweet about interesting things like the weather and what I ate for breakfast.
Page 1 of 3