Page 1 of 3
i dont know if there has been a thread like this, if there is i am sorry, but i am kind of curious of what you all think.

i dont want to see body shape or neck shape ugly, active pickups, or anything like that, more of the feeling of the guitar as a whole. keep this to something you own or plan to buy. so if you are into the Broot4lz, keep it there. dont make this setup related, because that is really not the manufacturer's fault.

keep these as general, as some will be or as specific as you want to.

things that turn me off to guitars:

quality of fretboard, if i want rosewood, i want a good rosewood fretboard, not a light board with more or less stripes of ligher/darker. if its ebony i want it dark and dense looking.

some guitars have an odd neck carve where the neck meets the fretboard like the radius extends into the fretboard (although it really isn't), so it feels like the fretboard is wider than the neck, guitars that i have played like this also tend to have a couple of sharp frets.

although easily changed i like a good amount of resistance (physical) in the pot(s) and a very solid switch.

sloppy inlay work i dont like seeing any filler.

more than a two piece back unless its painted then i dont know about it so it isn't a big deal but if the finish is transparent on the back and there are more than one piece, thats it.

things that dont matter to me that probably drive some of you crazy.

dot inlays

strat volume knob being in a dumb spot where you can easily move your hand down and turn it unintentionally.

having binding

the way gibson has binding over the frets (cant think of a better phrase)

condition as far as scratces dings, etc.

lets go i hope this is interesting.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I don't like dot inlays, they look too generic and boring to me. I also don't like having an inlay on the first fret or sharp/pointy looking guitars.

EDIT: Also the obvious things such as poor pickups, electronics, hardware and craftsmanship on the guitar.
West Ham United
Last edited by King Donkey at Nov 15, 2011,
Bad pickups, poor frets, stupid body shapes, short scale necks.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by Banjocal
Bad pickups, poor frets, stupid body shapes, short scale necks.

this is something i simply dont understand, how hard would it be for a major guitar manufacturer to make a good sounding pickup for their cheap guitars? i can't imagine it being too much more expensive to make something half decent.

of all the guitars i have had the only good non-branded stock pickups i have really had came on my wolfgangs, and gibsons.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
^Because most people can't tell the difference between a good pup and a bad one.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
If a guitar is just simply cheap and made of bad wood in the first place, no pickup is going to make it shine.
West Ham United
I don't like dot inlays, they look too generic and boring to me. QUOTE]

This, unless it's a Strat ir a Tele, don't know why though, but I especially don't like them with Gibsons. I always felt like it made the guitar less valuable for some reason, probably considering that it was mostly the lower end models that had dot inlays.

As far as shape goes, I need to feel comfortable while sitting and resting it on my knee, I like to lay back and play, and its just awkward with some guitars. Another thing that really gets to me are the faded and matte-like finishes, just looks cheap to me. I also don't like guitars that are too light or heavey. Not really sure how exactly how many lbs specifically, I just like a moderately heavy guitar. Most significantly though, loose hardware. I can't stand the sound of any slight buzzy or knocking around because one tiny piece does not perfectly fit. Not too much trouble to fix, but definitely says a lot about the craftmanship put into building the guitar.

I could go on for hours :/
Goofy paint jobs. Non-"natural" colors, like crappy looking light blue bursts. Bad body shapes.
language
jazyk
kieli
язык
العربية

My Tumblr: Lots of artist recommendations, album reviews, and ideas about music (as well as some film and bike stuff).

Go Sharks! Go Wings! Go Flyers! Go Kings!
satin black finishes... they look like shit after a couple months...
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by Picklelerner

This, unless it's a Strat ir a Tele, don't know why though, but I especially don't like them with Gibsons. I always felt like it made the guitar less valuable for some reason, probably considering that it was mostly the lower end models that had dot inlays.

As far as shape goes, I need to feel comfortable while sitting and resting it on my knee, I like to lay back and play, and its just awkward with some guitars. Another thing that really gets to me are the faded and matte-like finishes, just looks cheap to me. I also don't like guitars that are too light or heavey. Not really sure how exactly how many lbs specifically, I just like a moderately heavy guitar. Most significantly though, loose hardware. I can't stand the sound of any slight buzzy or knocking around because one tiny piece does not perfectly fit. Not too much trouble to fix, but definitely says a lot about the craftmanship put into building the guitar.

I could go on for hours :/

weight plays a big factor to me, i like my 11 pound+ guitars. it just feels better.

another thing that drives me crazy is the way the back of the neck is finished. if i have a guitar that i plan on keeping and isn't really anything all to exotic, i will steel wool the back of that neck down. i hate glossy necks. however i like glossy maple fretboards better than an oiled natural feel.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by EspTro
satin black finishes... they look like shit after a couple months...

EspTro - check your message inbox under the profile section, i had a response to the riff you posted where the thread was locked, i was typing stepped away from a moment and went to submit the post and it said closed. i messaged you what i typed.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
i dont like giuitars that dont have some weight to them i dont know what it is but a guitar should never be lighter than it looks...just feels flimsy

as for inlays they only bug me if they are dots on a lp any other guitar i dont mind

there are also some necks that just feel awkward for me its varied from guitar to guitar but if it feels weird i just wont even bother with it
On acoustic guitars, if it's a smaller size and not of generic shape (i.e, having 2-3 little holes inside of one in the middle)

Electric guitars,

I like almost every type but (some people will get mad here) That guitar steve vai uses. Massive turn off for me. I'm also not a big fan of Ibanez and Jackson.
I prefer heavy guitars because I'm so used to my Les Paul, lighter guitars feel weird. It also irks me that Gibson weight relieves Les Pauls.
West Ham United
I hate not being able to buy the ones I want, though I think - as with women - that will turn you on even more.
This is not a signature
Ditto on the sub-par stock pickups. Can anyone say if the ones on American Standard Teles are any good, since I'm getting one soon?

I abhor unbalanced guitars, like some SG models I've played. I think I mentioned in another thread that you're mostly going to have your playing hand supporting the neck from dive-bombing into your vat of perchloric acid, but it's still pesky.

Body shapes that require posture/position adjustment for playing while sitting down bug me.

Floyd Roses never suited my playing style, and I had to change way too many beat-up guitars with them when I worked at a guitar shop by a local high school. Quaver-friendly trems are fine by me, though.

Irksome: New guitars that generally retail for $600+ and come with gig bags instead of cases.

MSRP. Those are the equivalent of God saying that a cow should be 4,000 kilograms, despite none in history ever being that much.

Usurious pricing for certain finishes. Are bursts that much more difficult to have the robot paint? Is it that difficult to choose a prettier hunk of wood?

If I'm wrong, sorry.
I am a fake mountain.
Iffy weight balance. I'm fine with super-heavy guitars, I just hate it when the balance is too far in one direction.

Shitty pickups, as has been said - particularly neck pickups, which I run into problems with way more frequently than bridge ones.
I hate when guitars don't have inlays and I hate when the frets stick out of the sides of the fretboard and I catch my hand on them when I'm sliding.
I don't like bolt on necks. I think they look really dumb, and I hate the way they feel.

I mean, I honestly can't understand why anyone would want to see or play on this

instead of this
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Neck problems. Nephew knocking the guitar over and snapping the headstock. Somehow lighting the headstock on fire with a forgotten cigarette. Loving the body but hating the neck and vice-versa (Franken-Strat/Tele). Wanting to bludgeon someone with your guitar but not wanting to snap the neck. Generally being of the mindset that (and I'll age myself here) a VHS player and a TV combined in one might not be the best idea should one fail. Having different perspectives on what makes a good guitar. Gibson vs. Fender.
I am a fake mountain.
Quote by Offworld92
I don't like bolt on necks. I think they look really dumb, and I hate the way they feel.

I mean, I honestly can't understand why anyone would want to see or play on this

instead of this

Prs se Holcomb is the answer
The biggest turn-off for me is poor build quality leading the guitar to feel really tacky and flimsy and just not enjoyable to hold or play. but i think that's a turn-off for anyone who has ever played a good quality guitar.

i also hate coil taps simply because they mostly seem to give you a thin, brittle and sterile twanky single coil tone that's barely usable, thin/flat necks (especially those with wide string spacing and large frets!), unstable tremolo tailpieces that screw up unison bends and stuff, and muddy and/or sterile sounding pickups that have little to no articulation or clarity whatsoever.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Poor fret work, poor construction, horrible pickups, bad wood grain (and bad woods in general), guitars that are too light, glossy necks, Schectors (they just look like generic metal guitars), unbalanced bodies, volume knobs being in stupid places, cheap-feeling machine heads, poor tuning stability, stiff volume and tone controls, black strats with white pickguards, unpainted necks (they can look nice on some guitars though).
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by AcousticMirror

There's still the whole... "there's a huge block of wood where my thumb wants to go" issue.

I will admit some joints like the AANJ are really nice. It's just that the majority of them aren't.

And mainly my gripes are aesthetic.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I don't mind bolt on necks if the neck joint is well contoured. The big square block neck joint on most strats irritates me to no end when I'm trying to get at the high frets.

Any guitars that have poor access to the high frets. My LP is terrible. If I want to get to the 22nd fret I have to contort my hand in a very uncomfortable manner, which makes it very difficult to play.

Pointy guitars. I can't even get past the way they look to even be bothered to play one.

Poor fret work. If a guitar passes QC with sharp frets, or high frets, that's just poor attention to detail. I shouldn't need a fret job on a brand new guitar.

Strat volume knob placement. Holy shit. I can't even play a strat without inadvertantly rolling the volume off gradually.

The price tag on a Gibson
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Quote by Offworld92

instead of this

It's finished, therefore a turn off for me. I hate weird guitars like bc riches, I hate bad single coils, I hate anything except alder and mahagony for body, and I hate people who think guitar doesn't affect sound.
ich bin indeed ein sprechender panda, how are you?
Music student, Jazz/Classical/Prog
Music Man JP6 BFR, Ibanez S7420, Fender American Standard, Ibanez EW35 acoustic, 6505+
Oh, since we brought up necks.

I hate having a guitar with a painted back and an unfinished neck. I know it's more about the feel, but it just looks unbelievably stupid to me.
I don't like shiny finishes on acoustics, or acoustics that "feel like electrics." Because they don't actually feel like electrics, they feel like acoustics made by someone who has only ever played Ibanez or B.C. Rich, and thinks that identical technique is used for all styles.

On electrics, I don't like push/pull knobs. I don't know why, but they always just seem clumsy. And I don't mind pointy guitars, as long as they aren't pointy anywhere behind the bridge.
I hate stupid small strap buttons. They put them on and know that they'll never hold.
Tremolo's that feel like plasic.
Loose hardware, though I did get my dot after playing it knowing both pots were loose...
Weird shaped neck, looking at you, heavy C shaped SG studio necks.
Boring rosewood, gotta be ugly/light.
I'm up for building you a pedal.
(Or modding nearly anything moddable)
(PM Me.)
To thin of a neck. Dot inlays and really tiny dot inlays. Floyd Roses that are not real stabilized. Bulky Bodies. Busted stuff on guitars like a toggle switch that works 60% of the time as a killswitch...
Gibson Les Paul Custom (Aged White)
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
Thin nylon straps that cut into your shoulder. Give me a nice wide piece of leather.

The G string,got to adjust the pup poles just right to get the EQ right on it.

Guitars with the weight of a tooth pick. Which brings me to the tone sucking weight relief LP's.

Laminate tops with rounded edges where you can see it is just some cheap laminate. *cough* new Kramer *cough*

Guitar manufactures that will put out any old POS junk equipment to make a "Dime" off of a dead musicians. yah pun intended
My Kramer's:
79 DMZ6000G
83 Pacer Imp
83 Vanguard
85 Pacer Deluxe
85 Baretta
85 Pacer Deluxe
85 Condor
86 Pacer Imperial
86 JK2000
86 JK6000
87 Focus Mutt
09 Gary Kramer Crusader
Dots are actually the only inlay I like. Others are too distracting to me. I also don't like 1st fret inlays. I hate small and narrow frets, and don't really care for headstocks with 3 tuners on each side.
Quote by Offworld92

instead of this

That's probaby an Alder body, and alder is not strong enough for a neck. And why would you want a finished neck? unfinished necks ftmfw.
Sticky neck finishes, stupidly thin necks, pointy shapes, tons of abalone, stuff like that.
Quote by Briyan_15
I hate stupid small strap buttons. They put them on and know that they'll never hold.

that's a good one which i had overlooked - those tiny strap buttons they put on gibsons seriously suck, especially because gibsons probably will break if you drop them.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Page 1 of 3