Hey Guys

Today I bought a baja telecaster. It's a really cool guitar, but its producing A LOT of more hum than my stratocaster. I've always had a bit of hum with my fender strat, but when I plug in the tele it really gets twice as loud.. but only when i dont touch the guitar.

Anyone, help?

Thanks
Gear:

Fender American Strat, texas specials
Fender Tele Baja
VOX AC15
Ibanez Analog Delay
Boss Keeley Blues Driver
Katana boost
Dunlop Wah
definately a grounding problem. if your good with electronics open it up and check em out, or take it to someone who knows how. A guitar shop coulsd do it too, but that would cost you.
pop the cover off the back and see if there's a wire soldered to the bridge. It may have come loose, and 2 minutes with a soldering iron will fix it. Other than that, take it back and make the shop sort it out.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Arighty, I'm not that good with wiring so I'll take it back to the shop, but I wont be able to do that anytime soon. Is it dangerous/damaging for the guitar or even for me to play it like this? 'cause the sound is just too sweet
Gear:

Fender American Strat, texas specials
Fender Tele Baja
VOX AC15
Ibanez Analog Delay
Boss Keeley Blues Driver
Katana boost
Dunlop Wah
Quote by jpatan
pop the cover off the back and see if there's a wire soldered to the bridge. It may have come loose, and 2 minutes with a soldering iron will fix it. Other than that, take it back and make the shop sort it out.

There's no back cover on a Tele.
Various Strats
PRS SC245 (2007)
Fessenden SD-10 pedal steel
Koch Studiotone XL
Mesa Boogie Express 5:25+
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
well damn. Guess I don't have much experience with a tele... thought they were similar to a strat. Either way, it sounds like the ground wire is not connected. May have to pop the bridge off to get to it on a tele... and that's a job best left to the shop.

It won't hurt anything to play like that until you can get it to the shop, just an annoying noise.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Last edited by jpatan at Nov 15, 2011,
Quote by jpatan
well damn. Guess I don't have much experience with a tele... thought they were similar to a strat. Either way, it sounds like the ground wire is not connected. May have to pop the bridge off to get to it on a tele... and that's a job best left to the shop.

It won't hurt anything to play like that until you can get it to the shop, just an annoying noise.

Almost every Tele bridge pickup I've seen has a metal bottom plate fitted. This will usually allow grounding of the bridge via the adjustment screws, but sometimes an additional ground wire can be fitted to the bridge screws themselves. It's a bit of a pain to do it this way, as you need to have the wire completely stripped for the length that sits under the bridge and you can't solder it unless you gouge the top of the guitar at that location to allow clearance, or the bridge no longer sits flat.

The stripped wire will flatten out under the bridge. The wire is run to the pickup cavity at the front of the bridge and is then run to the control cavity.
Various Strats
PRS SC245 (2007)
Fessenden SD-10 pedal steel
Koch Studiotone XL
Mesa Boogie Express 5:25+
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1