Hi all, i have a question regarding supporting musicians for solo artists.

Scenario: You have a solo singer/songwriter, who now and again has a couple of musicians support her at gigs. The solo artist is building a career for herself in her own right, advertising herself under her own name. She is not in a band with the other musicians, but they will be playing together regulary.

So what happens when she does a gig where she has musicians with her? How do you advertise the act? Do you just put the solo artists name down or do the musicians get a mention too?

Thanks,

Calv.
You just advertise the solo artist.
I remember when Serj Tankian was touring, it just said Serj Tankian.
Or when Nine Inch Nails play, it doesn't say "Nine Inch Nails and a group of random musicians". It just says NIN.
If the backing band usually plays together and has recognition, then you put them down as well. For example, The Dap-Kings, the E-Street Band, the Melody makers. . .

Basically, if the name is a draw, then you advertise it.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
Also: at the gig it's good conduct to introduce your band at some point, even if it's when you're going through the solo section of the last song or something like it. I don't think many pop artists do it but I think it's just generally good manners.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Also: at the gig it's good conduct to introduce your band at some point, even if it's when you're going through the solo section of the last song or something like it. I don't think many pop artists do it but I think it's just generally good manners.

This. And I know some solo artists post the members of their touring bands on websites and such.
Usually it's just the solo performer who is credited and publicised (pop quiz: who is Justin Bieber's guitarist? Pinks? Taylor Swifts?). You can easily find out the names of those guys but it's just an example. The frontperson is the one who is publicised.

When I've been in this position, whether the solo performer chooses to introduce the rest of the band or not is up to them. Some will introduce us each, some will not introduce at all, one used to say "hi I'm x, and this is my band". We thought that last one was a bit strange because we weren't her band, we were hired musicians. However we were being paid good money and didn't complain.

It's also stretched to how our performances are done. If I'm in a "band" we'll all be going a bit crazy, entertaining the crowd. If it's one of those "solo performers" we'll usually keep back, sometimes in the dark, so that all the focus can be on the performer. Of course if they're not a particularly good performer this can backfire, but hey, they wanted to be the "solo" person.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Usually it's just the solo performer who is credited and publicised (pop quiz: who is Justin Bieber's guitarist?

somebody very embarrassed?
Quote by Spaztikko
somebody very embarrassed?

Someone very well paid
Soundcloud
Quote by gateway01
Somebody with no friends?

Someone who doesn't exist? I don't he has a guitarist, probably just a synthesizer player plus a drummer, and maybe a bassist.

I've got nothing against synthesizers used to add additional textures to the ei. The Who, but I hate how the majority of modern music is just some dude on the synthesizer/the computer, instead of talented people who actually play instruments.

But to the original question, I prefer it when solo artists really acknowledge their bands by putting their name as part of the band...

(George Thorogood and The Destroyers, Paul McCartney and Wings, E Street Band etc.)
Guitars
Gibson SG Standard
Epiphone Les Paul
Yamaha Eterna
Squier Classic Vibe Tele
Amps
Marshall Class 5
Fender Mustang I
Pedals
Crybaby 535Q Wah Wah
Boss Tuner

Lets get this straight: Hendrix, Page, Clapton, Beck, Kossoff
Alright, you guys are fools. Famous solo performers generally get the best session musicians around. Session musicians aren't hindered by "omg I won't play that song coz it's gay" that seems to be going on here. So if you've ever been tempted to be a session musician, I'd stop that train of thought now.

Here's a guitar solo at a Justin Bieber concert http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5S8t55cKkk

If you guys would pass that up due to elitism, I'm sure there's a whole heap of other people who are willing to jam with their friends infront of thousands of screaming girls.
Soundcloud
I really don't understand the Bieber hatred. His music does nothing for me (of course, neither does most of the stuff about half of UG members seem to list as their favorite stuff), but people talk about him as if he were a prepackaged post-mouseketeer project.

When the reality is that Justin Bieber is a small-town kid who loved music enough that he kept putting videos of himself singing up on youtube, who was good enough that somebody who mattered saw the video and said "wow, we need to record this kid professionally!"

If the music isn't your thing, that's one thing, but he's just a small town kid who loves music who's had absurd levels of fame thrown at him not because of some giant machine but because people like his music and kept passing his youtube videos on to their friends.

Is that such a bad thing?
Quote by HotspurJr
Is that such a bad thing?

And by extension, why hate on the musicians that play with him? I don't see the point.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
who is Justin Bieber's guitarist?

Someone who:

-tours the world playing guitar to stadiums full of screaming fans, and yet can blend into virtually any crowd anywhere entirely unnoticed and not have to put up with all the baggage of being a star. "Who the hell is Kenny Aronoff?" One of the best paid touring musicians in the history of the music biz!!

-is well paid to do said job description

-is making industry connections that will ensure a steady flow of work well into the next decade

-can jump ship and play with any number of other artists as soon as the SS Bieber starts to sink without having the baggage of being "former XXXX guitarist trying to start up another band that nobody will really care about.... ie. Jerry Cantrell"

-doesn't have to concern himself with writing a new album in order to maintain a fan base and subsequent income

-doesn't have to concern himself with all the ins and outs of running Justin Bieber Inc.

Good gig, really, no?

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
waht du u mean axebuttchris? justn beber iz gheyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
Soundcloud
Quote by axemanchris
Someone who:

-tours the world playing guitar to stadiums full of screaming fans, and yet can blend into virtually any crowd anywhere entirely unnoticed and not have to put up with all the baggage of being a star. "Who the hell is Kenny Aronoff?" One of the best paid touring musicians in the history of the music biz!!

-is well paid to do said job description

-is making industry connections that will ensure a steady flow of work well into the next decade

-can jump ship and play with any number of other artists as soon as the SS Bieber starts to sink without having the baggage of being "former XXXX guitarist trying to start up another band that nobody will really care about.... ie. Jerry Cantrell"

-doesn't have to concern himself with writing a new album in order to maintain a fan base and subsequent income

-doesn't have to concern himself with all the ins and outs of running Justin Bieber Inc.

Good gig, really, no?

CT

take it from this guy. the only types of musicians who worry about things like "selling out" and the sort are, quite frankly, one-trick ponies.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
I'm not a big fan of Justin Bieber or a lot of pop singers, but I'd play guitar for them in a heartbeat. The experience alone would be worth it.

not to mention the paycheck
Quote by JediRabbit

I've got nothing against synthesizers used to add additional textures to the ei. The Who, but I hate how the majority of modern music is just some dude on the synthesizer/the computer, instead of talented people who actually play instruments.

Yeah, because keyboards aren't real and take literally no skill to play, especially whilst twisting all manner of knobs at the same time. Those talentless swine.
Quote by JediRabbit

So, by the same logic, someone like Rick Ruben or Mutt Lange, or Bob Rock are just talent-less guys who sit behind a mixing desk twiddling knobs and faders?

Composers are just talent-less guys who just sit at a desk with a pencil and some staff paper?

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote by Calvster
Hi all, i have a question regarding supporting musicians for solo artists.

Scenario: You have a solo singer/songwriter, who now and again has a couple of musicians support her at gigs. The solo artist is building a career for herself in her own right, advertising herself under her own name. She is not in a band with the other musicians, but they will be playing together regulary.

So what happens when she does a gig where she has musicians with her? How do you advertise the act? Do you just put the solo artists name down or do the musicians get a mention too?

Thanks,

Calv.

Dude, I can't believe that this is a serious question! You just named Sheryl Crow lol
Quote by honkytown
Dude, I can't believe that this is a serious question! You just named Sheryl Crow lol

And Pink, and Lady Gaga, and Alanis Morissette, and Taylor Swift, and....
CT

Quote by JediRabbit
Someone who doesn't exist? I don't he has a guitarist, probably just a synthesizer player plus a drummer, and maybe a bassist.

But to the original question, I prefer it when solo artists really acknowledge their bands by putting their name as part of the band...

(George Thorogood and The Destroyers, Paul McCartney and Wings, E Street Band etc.)

Justin Beiber probably only sings to backing tracks. Or maybe he mimes.

Bob Marley and the Wailers
Bill Haley and his Comets
Slash's Snakepit (he just wanted to call it "Snakepit", but the label intervened)

I think if you've got a poster you could just have the supporting musicians named in smaller writing under the solo performer's name:

THE AMAZING PADDY O'CALLAGHAN
Featuring Willy McDonnagh and McDonagh's Willy
Quote by You Ruined It
I'm not a big fan of Justin Bieber or a lot of pop singers, but I'd play guitar for them in a heartbeat. The experience alone would be worth it.

not to mention the paycheck

WORD! Pop pays! Remember that gents!

As for the back up band... Yeah all true. Only thing left out is that the back up band / hired musicians can then put the gig in their portfolio of past performances. If this is you, make sure you can get video/audio of the show so you can use it as a selling point for your next opportunity.