Poll: Which amp should I purchase?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which amp should I purchase?
Peavey Valveking 112
3 14%
Jet City JCA2112RC
17 77%
Blackheart BH15-112
2 9%
Voters: 22.
First off, I want to say how badass you guys are that commented on my amp thread. You've really helped a lot, and I'd like to recognize you for that.

I've narrowed my amp choices down to 3. Through the other threads discussions, I realized that what I was looking for was a combo amp package. I needed something that was relatively lightweight. I'm no pansy, so I can handle some extra weight.

Genre's: Hard Rock, Metal, Blues(ish).

I will be playing this amp in my living room, and I'll be taking it to a friends house to jam. He's got a Line-6 60 watt SS combo amp, and he's running a Line-6 head through its speaker (not sure what head). I would like some room to grow. I own an SM57, and I think I will be able to do anything with either of these amps.

The wattages fluctuate a bit, but I'm not really concerned about wattage. I'm more so concerned about sound quality and features. I'm not at all afraid to mod anything.

The prices are similar. Weights are also very similar.

Based on an assload of reviews, a few sleepless nights, and multiple negotiated price hikes (with the wife), my choices are:

Peavey VK112

I love the fact that this amp has two channels and separate tone controls. I've watched many a YouTube video on this amp, and I think I'd be satisfied with it. With the tweaks/mods that are out there, it's seems pretty solid.

Jet City JCA2112RC

I don't know much about JC, but everyone trusts their designer, and the reviews are favorable. YouTube videos are good too.

Blackheart BH15-112

I chose this strictly on recommendations and YouTube reviews. It seems like a solid amp. The name Blackheart has a nice metal ring to it too! XD

Once again, thanks for everything.
Last edited by twxj97 at Nov 15, 2011,
I'd go and try out both Valveking and then the Jet City amplifier, see which I'd like better, cause seriously, I wouldn't really buy any amp without trying it out. But if you can't try out either of these amps, then I guess that UG members will recommend the Jet City combo more. If it's a combo version of the JCA20 with the matching speakers, then it's probably gonna be really awesome for the price. But also, some underestimate the potential of Peavey's VK series.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Last edited by Sakke at Nov 15, 2011,
If that Jet City is the same set up as the JCA20 head, it's a sick little amp. I've got a friend who has one and I'm a big fan of the sound, even through his shit cab.

You never stated a genre, by the way.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

you havent said what you genre but based on personal preference id get the jet city amp. its one baddass little amp with baddass distortion and good cleans. its great value for money. i was deciding betweenn the same peavey and jet city amp and after trying the jet city i immediatly decided i wanted it.
Quote by mcraddict81592
If that Jet City is the same set up as the JCA20 head, it's a sick little amp. I've got a friend who has one and I'm a big fan of the sound, even through his shit cab.

You never stated a genre, by the way.

I apologize about the genre. Hard rock, Metal, maybe a tad bit of Heavy Metal. I'd like to be able to do some RHCP cleans from time to time.
Hey man....just some advice.

Having two of the same basic threads going at the same time is against the rules. Mainly, it burns cycles from the people trying to help you. What I suggest is the 'What Amp' format in the sticky. It gives us everything we need. Polls like this and the format of your other thread are really not that helpful.

There are lots of different types of 'metal' and 'heavy metal'. The number of genres is bind-blowing. You could have anything from Sabbath - Technical Death Metal. Doomy sludgy metal has a lot of grit, heavy chords and sag (or looseness). Then you have other types of metal where cleans are very important and note definition etc.

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Hey man....just some advice.

Having two of the same basic threads going at the same time is against the rules. Mainly, it burns cycles from the people trying to help you. What I suggest is the 'What Amp' format in the sticky. It gives us everything we need. Polls like this and the format of your other thread are really not that helpful.

There are lots of different types of 'metal' and 'heavy metal'. The number of genres is bind-blowing. You could have anything from Sabbath - Technical Death Metal. Doomy sludgy metal has a lot of grit, heavy chords and sag (or looseness). Then you have other types of metal where cleans are very important and note definition etc.

Sorry about that, I meant no harm. My intention was to declare an actual list of choices and create a poll to help decide. I thought it would be a little clearer that way.

Initially I had stated that I had no direction in amp purchases. Through the other thread you guys helped me narrow the playing field dramatically. Therefore I decided that a new thread would be advantageous.
The Valveking is pretty versatile and can hit most everything you need. It does need a new speaker imo and at least 1 pedal (EQ or OD). So on the conservative end that is an extra $130 roughly.

Lots of people like the Jet Cities and it is probably a good bet. I didn't care for it too much but I only played it for 20 minutes and had no boosts or whatever. coolstoryangus has some good clips of it. al122987 sold his. To thin and not lifelike enough or something. I agree with him. That was the JCA20 tho. I'd seriously look at some of the newer models.

I really like the Blackhearts, especially a two channel, and it can hit early Metallica (Thrash Metal). It is perfect for RHCP and Blues and Rock.

That said, I think there are other amps you should look at as well and I also highly recommend finding a used amp. In a down economy there are tons of them and you get more amp for your buck. I bought my Vypyr 60 used for $315 and think it is a hella amp. Very versatile for the price.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Nov 15, 2011,
Quote by twxj97
I apologize about the genre. Hard rock, Metal, maybe a tad bit of Heavy Metal. I'd like to be able to do some RHCP cleans from time to time.

so the jet city should fit your needs.