So I have a Line 6 Spider Valve and I need new tubes I was something with a lot more response and tighter low ends. I just tried a set of JJ's and was not that impressed. They made everything sound kind of dull just not enough bite. I need a 2 12ax7 and 2 6L6 tube. A guy at Sweet water said mesa SPax7 is what I'm looking for Any other ideas?
What you need is a new amp
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
Don't buy tubes from Sweetwater. Big retailers buy rebranded tubes like Mesas and don't test them. Shops that specialize in tubes like Tubedepot and Doug's tubes sell tested tubes from the original manufacturers (Mesa doesn't make tubes, they just resell other brands; cut out the middleman by buying from a decent tube retailer)

I'd say Tung-Sol 6l6s and one Tung-sol 12AX7 for V1 and one Sino 12AX7 for V2 would be good.
ok I can take a look at those. What type of tube are the mesa one and are there any american tube companies? Even groove tubes are out sourced right?
Roc just gave you two good sources. Did you get your JJ's from eurotubes? Wow that was fast. Roc might be able to help you bit with your related thread - you should link that in here. Did you get a bias probe too?

If you didn't like the JJs I'd def recommend the Tung Sols.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Nov 15, 2011,
Quote by Briyan_15
ok I can take a look at those. What type of tube are the mesa one and are there any american tube companies? Even groove tubes are out sourced right?

Most groove tubes are rebranded, but some of their power tubes are not, I believe. Mesa used to be Sovtek tubes, but in the last few years they've started moving over to JJ for most of the tube types.
No i didn't get my jj's from the website i go them from a local dealer and her gave me an old probe he had for 5 bucks. So i read up more on that line 6 site you gave me i tried them at recomended 35mv and then i ran them a little hotter just to check they sounded better hotter just not exactly what i was looking for. So the tung sols and the sino I'll will have to check that out where do i get the sino? and has anyone had any expiraince with electro harmonics tubes? My friend seems to think they are the greatest I was told that they are kind of bright and mid oriented.
Quote by Briyan_15

Mesa are just whatever they can buy cheap. Same with all the rebranded, including Groove tubes. There are American tube companies, but as far as I know there are not any American tube factories.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!