I'm wondering this because I've read about people who have learnt these techniques in few motnhs or recently after picking up the guitar. Others have been practising for years and still can master it.

I've been playing for 4 years and started listening to shredding 8 months ago. I started playing two and a half months ago. My speed, knowledge and technique have improved but aren't good enough. I couldnt play live & clean and I still miss notes on songs such as Far Byn the Sun. What does mastering shredding depend on? btw I play as much as I can during the day
Quote by YYMMalmsteen
I'm wondering this because I've read about people who have learnt these techniques in few motnhs or recently after picking up the guitar. Others have been practising for years and still can master it.

I've been playing for 4 years and started listening to shredding 8 months ago. I started playing two and a half months ago. My speed, knowledge and technique have improved but aren't good enough. I couldnt play live & clean and I still miss notes on songs such as Far Byn the Sun. What does mastering shredding depend on? btw I play as much as I can during the day

"Mastering" something requieres around 10,000 hours of deliberate practice.
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
how ever long it takes u and how much u practice. im in my 7 year of playing, but i dont practice regularly. i dont shred yet lol. practice a lot if u get the time and it will come
How longs a piece of string?

It really depends on the individual.

But!! If you get your technique good from the start, practice regularly and efficiently, balancing out all the elements well, you can make a big jump in about 9 months I feel.

But don't priorities speed. Prioritise being musical.

I suggest you read through the techniques sticky on here. It gives some great insites and bits of advice.
I'd encourage you to question if your goal post is reasonable in the first place. What is this grand "mastering shredding" phenomena you want so hard to do?

It really comes off like you think you're on a ride to "shred mastery", and you keep poking your head out the window asking "are we there yet?", as if it's simply a matter of time before you will be transformed into the 2nd coming of Shawn Lane.

Continue learning music, period.
Last edited by Brainpolice2 at Nov 15, 2011,
If you think "shredding" is a thing that one simply masters in a set amount of time, you're thinking about it all wrong to be honest. Shredding is simply being able to play the guitar so well and so economically that your technique doesn't fall apart and still stays in time at higher tempos and smaller subdivisions of beats.

Quote by YYMMalmsteen
I'm wondering this because I've read about people who have learnt these techniques in few motnhs or recently after picking up the guitar.

No one has perfected "shredding" in a few months or recently after picking up the guitar. These are gimmicky exaggerations and flauntings designed to either: promote jealousy, attempt to look cool, or obtain your money in exchange for what is advertised as secrets of fast guitar playing.
Last edited by fixationdarknes at Nov 15, 2011,
Quote by fixationdarknes
...what is advertised as secrets of fast guitar playing.

Yeah UG is really bad at keeping secrets, I mean the fundamentals to "mastering" guitar are mentioned pretty much every other post, and usually contain the words "relax", "slow" and "practice".

Oh and "guitar".

I love the notion that there's "secrets" to playing guitar well. It's like "the nasty talented people don't want the lesser beings to know their craft".
ESP Horizon FR II (EMG) / Ibanez Prestige RG1570 (DiMarzio Crunch Lab & LiquiFire pickups)
Last edited by llBlackenedll at Nov 15, 2011,
I am having problem with guitar shredding, too. But anyways, it's been two months already since I practice guitar. Does this time is worth enough to master these?

Determine which solution is best suited for you. Hard drive destruction
Last edited by itamgshred at Nov 17, 2011,
Quote by itamgshred
I am having problem with guitar shredding, too. But anyways, it's been two months already since I practice guitar. Does this time is worth enough to master these?

two months is not enough. It takes years.

What is it you practice when you practice for 'shredding'?
Definitely years, True mastery require years of focused,consistent,effective and CORRECT practicing habit.
Quote by afrika18
How fast can you tremolo pick now without getting tired?

While that's a fair question I'm pretty sure you'd get bored before you got tired.
ESP Horizon FR II (EMG) / Ibanez Prestige RG1570 (DiMarzio Crunch Lab & LiquiFire pickups)
Everyone answered TS question correctly IMO. Obviously, learning complete songs by your favorite artists will allow you to apply all you have learned thus far. However, you must not attempt to play something that is too much outside of your league. I remember learning Scarified by Racer X 2 years after starting guitar and it was not motivating trust me loll. It has been said before but remember that talent is a very small part of the equation especially compared to practice time invested so keep trying hard.
Steve Vai started playing guitar when he was 13 in 1973... I'll bet if you asked him if he has "mastered" the guitar, he'd probably say no... There is always something else to learn...

Never get "Good"
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Wow. I missed the part about "two and a half months". Yeah, if you've only spent that much time learning shred guitar, please, don't ask how much longer it'll take every few weeks.
Don't get me wrong, wanting to learn shred guitar is a perfectly valid path. But it requires a LOT of dedication, and a LOT of repetitive practice that I, personally, would rather spend writing music. Or going out, snowboarding, getting laid, stuff like that. Plus, most people don't have a fragment of the dedication required to make it to Malmsteen's level (I know I don't). If you're sure you do, ignore me and go ahead, if that's how you want to spend your time.
Quote by Papabear505
Steve Vai started playing guitar when he was 13 in 1973... I'll bet if you asked him if he has "mastered" the guitar, he'd probably say no... There is always something else to learn...

Never get "Good"

This.

And, listen up TS -- playing guitar is HARD. Shredding cleanly is one of the HARDEST ASPECTS of playing guitar. You can practice it for a couple years, but largely you'd still be faking it unless you took the time to start slow.

I used to be involved in Aikido for awhile, and one thing my teacher (who has been practicing the art for 30+ years, and is a 10th degree black belt) said has stuck with me:

"Americans don't stick with anything long enough to master it. They expect results immediately. What they don't realize is, in order to truly master something, you have to dedicate your life to it."

So my advice to the TS is: Go ahead, practice shredding. But enjoy your playing - otherwise you'll eventually quit, long before you've actually mastered anything.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
If you're really dedicated and careful, you can be pretty good at about 2 years.

I'm wondering this because I've read about people who have learnt these techniques in few motnhs or recently after picking up the guitar.

So far, in my fairly extensive experience, they're all liars or idiots.