I have a late 90s Fender Blues Deville 212 Tweed. This is from right before they brought out the Hotrod series in black Tolex. The amp plays great but it has always had one annoying issue with the volume. It goes from zero to loud as hell at about 1/2 (i.e. less than one on the scale) and then gradually progresses from there. Does anyone know of any mods that can even out the volume control for a more sedate rise in volume? It's not too bad for gigging, but trying to practice on a 60 watt amp that jumps to half it's total volume at less than one on the volume dial is painful at the least.
Quote by poppameth
I have a late 90s Fender Blues Deville 212 Tweed. This is from right before they brought out the Hotrod series in black Tolex. The amp plays great but it has always had one annoying issue with the volume. It goes from zero to loud as hell at about 1/2 (i.e. less than one on the scale) and then gradually progresses from there. Does anyone know of any mods that can even out the volume control for a more sedate rise in volume? It's not too bad for gigging, but trying to practice on a 60 watt amp that jumps to half it's total volume at less than one on the volume dial is painful at the least.

could be a Fender Thing...

My 74 twin goes between "Huh?" and "Turn that Down!" between 1 and 2
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
I've got a Fender Pro Sonic that does the same thing. I actually thought it was a bad pot.
Quote by inkandlead
I've got a Fender Pro Sonic that does the same thing. I actually thought it was a bad pot.

Last year I had my twin completely gone through new tubes, capacitors, the whole thing... I asked about that volume pot, and he told me that it "tested out to spec" (I'm not an electrician) so, I let it go...

Now on my twin, I do have a master volume, that seems to work a little better so when the volume goes to "OH CRAP!!" I turn the master down till it's not pissing off the wife.. I get by with it..
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
This one has Volume and Master Volume. Basically Volume is for the clean channel and Master is for the drive channel. I don't know why they are labeled as they are. Both have earsplitting volume at low numbers on the dial. I managed to break the Volume knob (ripped the shaft out trying to get a knob off that someone had super glued) and we put a new one in. Same issue was still there.
Cathbard seems to be quite knowledgable about amps and electronics.. maybe he'll chime in...

when it comes to my amp.. I flip the right switch, the amp turns on.. if it don't.. it's broke and my amp guy gets a call... LOL
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
I've gone as far as opening this one up and actually replacing that volume pot myself. I have to say, Fender's modular pots are very easy to put in and a real pain to take out.
yes the fender PCB pots are tough to take out. and they break very easily as well.

the design is very weird. there is a 100k resistor in series with the signal hardwired, with a switchable bright cap to bypass it. then theres a 250kA pot to ground to adjust the attenuation. they did it this way to control the bright cap's affecting frequency, as opposed to traditional bright caps (bigger bandwidth of highs boosted as u turn down the pot) and i guess i'd say it works.

one thing u can do is change the pot to a 250kA 10% taper pot. this will make it better when u turn up, but probably not much better. another thing is to rip off the 100k resistor and wire in a traditional 1MA pot in there and change the bright cap to 120pF~220pF and be done with it. the 1MA pot is how all amps lived with, so i dont think it's a bad idea. but you'll see that frequency response has changed a bit after it.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Thanks for the input. I'll run that by my local tech and see if he can handle it without a problem. I don't trust myself quite to that level. I'll fix it if it's broken but I'm hesitant to touch it when it's working!
Quote by poppameth
I'm hesitant to touch it when it's working!

yea... that...

Good Luck Poppa... let me know how it works out...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!