Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Nov 15, 2011,
I joined your fan club.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
2203 is the 100W version of the single channel master volume amp. 2204 is the 50W version.
2210 is the 100W dual channel version (with the shitty diode clipping). 2205 is the 50W version of the 2210 (also with the diode clipping smeg).
Then there are the combo versions.
http://www.drtube.com/marshall.htm#JCM800

There was also a non master volume version right at the very beginning; 1959 -100W and 1987 - 50W which both only came in a head. They are basically just a plexi.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Nov 15, 2011,
Far as I understand, later 2203s (models with horizontal inputs) had a scaled down filtering section in the power supply, to the point of it being problematic. Early versions (vertical inputs) were fine though. Supposedly, 2203-reissues had some undesireable alterations to the circuit.
All of this is hearsay and I'd need someone else to confirm/refute it.

Anyway, what I actually can tell you is that it's one of the most popular designs ever and can be heard on so many records it's uncanny. It's one of the sounds that defined guitar-music in the '80s and remains popular today. The list of amps based on it's design (or being clones of it) is sheer endless.

And yeah, it does stoner/doom/sludge tones pretty damn well.
Thanks for the info, this is what i wanna hear.

Planning on using one for a lot of stuff with fuzz, kyuss, black keys sounding stuff, more or less at least.

edit: my only issue is basically loudness and not having my fuzzes turn to mush when i have the amp turned up loud. In other words, i wanna play in the band at band level with ease, without having to have the entire thing all the way up, so that i can still play on a mostly clean tone at adequate level that will still be suitable for me to put my fuzz pedals on.
Last edited by Zoot Allures at Nov 15, 2011,
I'm not sure I'd buy one just to shove a pedal in front of it.

My opinion aside, I THINK I've seen live clips of Josh using them for Kyuss' Blues for the Red Sun stuff. Bruno also used one live in conjunction with 2 JMPs when I saw Kyuss Lives a few weeks ago. They're pretty solid amps if you can find the right one for the right price.
Maximum volume yields maximum goats.
Quote by Quinlan
I'm not sure I'd buy one just to shove a pedal in front of it.

My opinion aside, I THINK I've seen live clips of Josh using them for Kyuss' Blues for the Red Sun stuff. Bruno also used one live in conjunction with 2 JMPs when I saw Kyuss Lives a few weeks ago. They're pretty solid amps if you can find the right one for the right price.

I'm gonna test it out at the place that's selling it anyway, gonna bring my pedalboard along and make sure it's what i'm after. Just made this thread to get some more info, i think it will be pretty clear to me fairly fast if it's taking my pedals right.

I do want it for the sound of the amp of course, it's just i need something loud and powerful and this seems like a suitable upgrade for me right now.