Hello, I'm sorry if this has been asked before, I searched and didn't find any answers.

I'm considering buying a Seymour Duncan Woody pickup, but I would like to know a few things:

1) Considering that it is magnetic, would I need to use a specific kind of strings for it? I currently use D'addario phosphor bronze.
2) I was at a small gig where a guitarist played his Woody-equipped guitar straight into the PA. It sounded quite muddy. Would it need some sort of preamp or buffer to improve the tone when playing through the PA?

Thanks in advance.
No, you wouldn't need to change the type of strings you use, PB will do just fine.

As to "muddiness", there are a number of factors that would cause that, other than the pick up itself.

A small stomp box type preamp could help, but you'd have to connect to a clean channel, and keep the gain down. Otherwise, you might get "muddiness". Here we'd be using the preamp as mostly an impedance matching device, rather than for a great deal of gain. Since these pickups are magnetic, they already have a decent amount of output.

There are two types of "Woodies", a single coil and a humbucker, just FYI.

Low level feedback can muddy up the bottom end without transitioning to the typical howl and whine. Just a thought.