Right, I've been thinking about this.

Why do we when speaking English, call Germany Deutschland for example? Most technical jargon is universally named so why do we have translations for countries? Why don't we just call them what the natives call them in their own language?

If it's the flipside, why change it to suit yourself? Why the need for 3837239234 different names for a single country?
Last edited by Tanglewoodguit at Nov 15, 2011,
Quote by Tanglewoodguit
Right, I've been thinking about this.

Why do we when speaking English, call Germany, Deutschland, for example? Most technical jargon is universally named so why do we have translations for countries? Why don't we just call them what the natives call them in their own language?

If it's the flipside, why change it to suit yourself? Why the need for 3837239234 different names for a single country?

People do that? I call Germany, Germany.
The content of this signature is pretty much irrelevant
Pronunciation issues.
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy

Quote by ErikLensherr

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Quote by pegadeth
speak this one in native "جمهوری اسلامی ايران"

/thread

Easy. "Hucka hucka humulla huck."
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by pegadeth
speak this one in native "جمهوری اسلامی ايران"

/thread

"Iran"

Thanks Wikipedia!
Grammar Nazi.
Why would you call Germany, Deutschland, if you're english?
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Why don't we have universal words for a lot of concepts? It's just the way it is.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by Tanglewoodguit
If we were taught the pronunciations from a young age, we wouldn't have the issues.

Learning a click-based language's pronunciation in an Anglo country would be silly.

Quote by ErikLensherr

Quote by kerrang
"Iran"

Thanks Wikipedia!

thats not the name in native, it's in english
so missed the point. sit back down.
That's something I don't get. English and German come from (basically) the same language roots. The Romance word for the Germans is roughly Allemagne (French). Germany is Roman-based...

I don't get the English Language.
Hey look, a stoner/doom album.

GENERATION 27: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

E-father of TheSPillow/Sam
E-brothers with Entity0009
Quote by Tanglewoodguit
I know I messed the commas up, I got excited

Also, how the hell do you type Mandarin!? Or any Chinese dialect? They have characters for every word.

It's called "pinyin"
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by Vince Sixx
That's something I don't get. English and German come from (basically) the same language roots. The Romance word for the Germans is roughly Allemagne (French). Germany is Roman-based...

I don't get the English Language.

If I remember correctly, Germany has its roots in some name of a tribe referred to by a Caesar.

Quote by ErikLensherr

Quote by pegadeth
thats not the name in native, it's in english
so missed the point. sit back down.

Jomhuri-ye Eslāmi-ye Irān

Thanks Wikipedia!
Grammar Nazi.
Quote by devourke
^Why is it called that. Were the French big in Africa at one point or something?

Yes.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by zgr0826
If I remember correctly, Germany has its roots in some name of a tribe referred to by a Caesar.

Germanicus, yes. Same with Britain, being named for a Roman phrase describing the isles. It's just weird how the Romans have had lasting effects on our language, even though the Anglo-Saxon and Norman languages were prevalent when the English language was first being developed.

I think. I'm still getting into history slowly.
Hey look, a stoner/doom album.

GENERATION 27: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

E-father of TheSPillow/Sam
E-brothers with Entity0009
Quote by Vince Sixx
Germanicus, yes. Same with Britain, being named for a Roman phrase describing the isles. It's just weird how the Romans have had lasting effects on our language, even though the Anglo-Saxon and Norman languages were prevalent when the English language was first being developed.

I think. I'm still getting into history slowly.

I do believe you are correct mofukkah.

Quote by ErikLensherr

Pronounciation. There's a reason the Japanese call England "Ing'rando" :p

And in Norwegian, the United States of America is called "Amerikas forente stater" or "USA" (ou - ess - ah).
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
Last edited by sfaune92 at Nov 15, 2011,
Cause then all countries would change the United States name to Arrogant
XBL Gamertag:thor7861
message me you're from UG first

I can't think of anything to put here