Does anyone know a good way to get John's guitar tone on live songs like "Slow Dancing in a Burning Room" Without buying his amp or guitar, or otherwise spending a thousand dollars. I have found boosting the mids on my amp and turning down the tone on my guitar helps somewhat, but is there any other ways?
I honestly just use the switch the pick up switch to the neck .. seems to sound just fine every time
The neck pickup will be your best friend. John himself uses a Heavily modified Strat, as well as a beautiful and very expensive Two-Rock amp. Just fiddle with settings until you can get reasonably close.
I can only listen to so many breakdowns and "spoken word" vocals before I wanna puke.

I find Jennette McCurdy attractive, but Elizabeth Gillies and Debby Ryan much more so.

That's enough, Djent people. We get it.
Sure... All you gotta do is ...

BLOW !

All along this path I tread
My heart betrays my weary head
With nothing but my soul to save
From the cradle to the grave.
Quote by DrewMeyer
Does anyone know a good way to get John's guitar tone on live songs like "Slow Dancing in a Burning Room" Without buying his amp or guitar, or otherwise spending a thousand dollars. I have found boosting the mids on my amp and turning down the tone on my guitar helps somewhat, but is there any other ways?

IIRC he is running a Dumble, or two, thats a little more than a grand .

i am not that familiar with him, but from some of the stuff he has put out, you just really need to have dynamics in your playing and adjust vol/tone on your guitar, i would say a good amount of his tone is how you play the guitar.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by gquady09
The neck pickup will be your best friend. John himself uses a Heavily modified Strat, as well as a beautiful and very expensive Two-Rock amp. Just fiddle with settings until you can get reasonably close.

i thought Dumble, but QG probably is right, i don't follow him too closely. however i am confident he has used a Dumble on at least some of his recordings.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
he used a dumble steel string singer and a few ODS along with his signature two rock for the album version and the live at Nokia theater version i think. the clean sound is just a clean amp with big bass and mid cut a bit. for his solo tone, i like my "modified marshall bluesbreaker" a lot.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
he used a dumble steel string singer and a few ODS along with his signature two rock for the album version and the live at Nokia theater version i think. the clean sound is just a clean amp with big bass and mid cut a bit. for his solo tone, i like my "modified marshall bluesbreaker" a lot.

the 18 watt clone i built could probably get close to that. it is the traditional 18w, but with the post phase inverter master volume. one of these days i am going to make it switchable, and see if i can figure out how to get the TMB in there in addition to the basic tone knob and have the two switchable. to broaden my potential a little bit.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
bluesbreaker i meant the pedal that they made in the 80s haha
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
bluesbreaker i meant the pedal that they made in the 80s haha

lol. i am pretty sure i could get close.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Yeah Dumble and Two Rock have both been used by Mayer. Very very pricey tone.
But, he has been seen with Fender amps too, I think on his recent tour (to coincide with his new, more "country/classic rock" look) he had an AC30 on stage too.

Also the first Bluesbreaker pedal is a good call too, he used that on the Try! live album, which is a popular tone, not that I'm the biggest fan of it compared to some he gets.

Generally to answer the question, if you mean "How can I get a John Mayer tone with my current equipment", play around with it as much as possible, it's hard to give instructions when dealing with an individual's gear.

If you're asking for Mayer on a budget, I'd say get an amp which focuses on the cleans (say, a Fender) and work around with it til you find a similar tone, then play around with various overdrives for his lead tone. As previously said the old Marshall Bluesbreaker (the first one, the new one won't give you the same tone, but it is an alright pedal for the price) has been used, you can find clones/kits of these around the internet fairly simply.
And of course, a strat is essential!
The ac30 and the tweed on top of the weird cabs are Keith urban's. John's steel string singer is on the left of them. David Ryan's Marshall is next to the sss.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
The ac30 and the tweed on top of the weird cabs are Keith urban's. John's steel string singer is on the left of them. David Ryan's Marshall is next to the sss.

Ah right. That makes sense! I wouldn't recommend an AC30 for Mayer's tone as it is, was a bit confused as to why he had an AC30 behind him in recent tour pics!

TS, check this video out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6POSqjjrIA for a basis on gear if you're going for John Mayers tone.
Some of the gear in that video will be stuff used only in that tour, but stuff like the Keeley Katana, the Bluesbreaker, and the three amps used are things that are consistent in John's tone.

I haven't watched that video in ages, upon re-watching, I had no idea that he used a Klon...you know I'm a bit too big of a Mayer fan when that knowledge makes me want one.

EDIT:

Another note, on Two Rock amps. I've been having quite an attraction to the Two Rock Studio Pro amps, cos they're the cheapest Two Rocks available, allegedly (though this was from a Rob Chapman review...not the most trustworthy source) the Studio Pros are similar to the John Mayer sig. It'll still run you £2k unfortunately, but much easier to afford than the £6k (I think this is roughly how much they go for?) of the John Mayer signature Two Rock!
Last edited by Punk_Ninja at Nov 19, 2011,
IMO, I built myself a bluesbreaker type pedal (king of tone) and it gets the John Mayer overdrive than my tube screamers, and my klon I made. Not sure if the klon is supposed to sound like this but the KoT is a lot better sound for JM than the klone.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
IMO, I built myself a bluesbreaker type pedal (king of tone) and it gets the John Mayer overdrive than my tube screamers, and my klon I made. Not sure if the klon is supposed to sound like this but the KoT is a lot better sound for JM than the klone.

Yeah, well the Bluesbreaker is always the pedal mentioned if there's any talk on pedals used by Mayer.

The fact that I had no idea he uses a Klon shows how imperative it his to his tone, what with me being a massive fan-boy!
To help get that slow dancing tone..definitely turn the tone knob down a tad and use the 2nd pick up (the one right below the neck pick up) on a strat. That'll help give you that warm round tone.