I'm looking to switch the pickups in my Ibanez Jem 7v ( in all honesty im not sure if its even a legitimate one) the pick-ups in it right now are handling what i play but i know my tone can be greatly improved. I play melodic death metal and tune to C standard and use ernie ball 11-56 strings on it. I'm pretty much fixed on a Dimarzio X2N for the bridge but I'm not too sure about the neck or single coil. I would like to keep it Dimarzio only because they offer the green color option for the pick ups ( my jem is black with green hardware and inlays) but I'm open to any other suggestions.
Dimarzio D sonic or Steve's Special. They where designed for downtuning.

also, is this your Jem?

That's a JEM777VBK, made between 1988-1992
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Last edited by stonyman65 at Nov 15, 2011,
ya its not a 777vbk i wish it was haha but it looks exactly like it. the model number on the back says jem 7v and the serial number suggests that it was made in 2002 thats why I'm not too sure if it's even a real ibanez or just some knock off. Thanks for the suggestions too!
thats odd. Does it have a Japanese serial number? Also, can you take some pics?
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Last edited by stonyman65 at Nov 15, 2011,
dude, I've been rocking an X2N bridge/D-sonic neck in my 7 string for years. Works gorgeous for the lower tuning (and sustains forever!)

No recommendations about the middle single coil though, I just took mine out and rewired the guitar to be H-H.
Quote by Roybordom
dude, I've been rocking an X2N bridge/D-sonic neck in my 7 string for years. Works gorgeous for the lower tuning (and sustains forever!)

No recommendations about the middle single coil though, I just took mine out and rewired the guitar to be H-H.

thanks! my guitar a six-string though but I'm willing to try out the six-string of the D-sonic
Quote by jemhead93
im not too sure what would make it japanese?

Well, it would say "made in Japan" underneath the serial number and the serial number would probably start with "F" for FujiGen.
Quote by strat0blaster

Quote by Cathbard
Quote by stonyman65
Well, it would say "made in Japan" underneath the serial number and the serial number would probably start with "F" for FujiGen.

No it says Made in Korea and starts with a C
that's not real then. All Jems except for the JEM555 and Jem333 are made in Japan.
Quote by strat0blaster

Quote by Cathbard
X2N sounds like a jumbled up mess. Since you didn't post a budget I would rec some Bare Knuckles. Great pickups.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
I run an X2N at the bridge in D standard tuning with 11s. I love how it sounds and that it's passive. It sounds fine when I drop tune as well. Though I wouldn't want another X2N guitar I don't love it that much.

Although I have no idea what string gauge he used, that's what Chuck Schuldiner of Death used (x2n and d standard). So if you're questioning whether or not it will sound metal you can rest assured that it will.
I find my Super 2s in the bridge and neck to help keep everything from getting too muddy. If they're too bright, turn down the treble on the amp. Just a thought.
Maximum volume yields maximum goats.
Quote by stonyman65
that's not real then. All Jems except for the JEM555 and Jem333 are made in Japan.

Thanks for clarifying that man I've been wondering about it for quite a while, it still sounds pretty good for a knock off lol
Quote by Roybordom

im thinking about the d-sonic in the neck but i see that its recommended for the bridge position a lot how do you like that set up?