my strumming sounds so uneven. Especially when i am strumming upwards. I am using a 2.0mm pick, is it too thick? Are there any excercises i can do to make my strumming sound good?
That's thick for strumming IMO. Try a lighter pick or a lighter touch.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Jesus, a 0.55 to 0.65 pick is more what you're looking for.

I use a 1.14mm pick for my bass guitar; I can't imagine even going up to a 1.5mm pick for my bass. A 1.14mm has minimal flex, but a 2.0mm pick would be like using a penny as a pick.
Quote by hhhhdmt
my strumming sounds so uneven. Especially when i am strumming upwards. I am using a 2.0mm pick, is it too thick? Are there any excercises i can do to make my strumming sound good?

Guitar Techniques Thread. Also, there are a couple of Stickies at the top there, the two that are locked.

But yes, that pick is very heavy.

Edit. Also, do you mean uneven just in terms of tone and not rhythm?
Last edited by mdc at Nov 16, 2011,
uneven in terms of tone. My rhythm is getting better thanks to the metronome. Tone is the problem i will try a lighter pick
The pick is heavy, but with good technique, you can control dynamics. We haven't seen you play, but make sure that there is some forearm movement, and not just pure wrist.

Experiment with placing accents on the down beat and lighter strokes for the rest of the beat. Do you understand eighths, sixteenths etc? Accent the 1 of each beat.

1 e + a 2 e + a
Thanks, i understand eighths and 16ths. Its just that i have seen my teacher use a 2.0 mm pick and he controls it perfectly. I guess i was just trying to get that same kind of control. I'll try accenting on 1 of each beat.
Quote by hhhhdmt

Without actually seeing you play I can't say what you're doing right or wrong, but heres some general suggestions that may help......

A lighter pick helps, and it brings out the tone.

keep your hand and wrist relaxed

Be good at the chord you're strumming

Be musical..... strum specific patterns. You should be able to count the patterns as you play. such as: 1 2 3 and 4 and .... which would be a D D DU DU strum pattern.

do it regularly and develop a "feel" for strumming.
shred is gaudy music