Hey there guys. I have read on this forum that some people think all amps should have an overdrive and boost pedal. Not quite sure why this is. On the other hand I hear it's better to use the amps own distortion.

I'm still new to individual guitar pedals and have purchased a few and have more on the way. They are all modulation, reverbs, delays etc however, not distortion/crunch/fuzz/OD. My amp is an ENGL E670 SE with EL34 tubes with a 240W ENGL V.30 cabinet. It is a pretty loud setup, the volume JUMPs at the slight touch of the volume knob.

Question is, will boost and overdrive pedals give me a different sound? What do they do? More options for sound? Would they be recommended for my amplifier? Thanks heaps in advance.
Gear:

ESP Horizon NT II
ESP Horizon NT 7
ESP Horizon FR II
have a look at youtube for some 'tube screamer' or 'super overdrive' pedal videos and you'll understand how they change your sound.
---
Quote by Robfreitag
have a look at youtube for some 'tube screamer' or 'super overdrive' pedal videos and you'll understand how they change your sound.

I have heard of the term 'tubescreamer'. Would that be a boost pedal?
Gear:

ESP Horizon NT II
ESP Horizon NT 7
ESP Horizon FR II
Quote by Megadeth09
I have heard of the term 'tubescreamer'. Would that be a boost pedal?

tubescreamers are a type of overdrive pedal. They are popular for metal as they cut some bass; and add some mids giving a tighter sound that cuts through the mix.
They are often used with the gain set to 0; and the level maxed out over an already overdriven amp.
What kind of music do you play? You certainly don't NEED an overdrive; but they can often help improve your sound.
RIP Gooze

cats
Last edited by mulefish at Nov 15, 2011,
^you always NEED an overdrive.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by mulefish
tubescreamers are a type of overdrive pedal. They are popular for metal as they cut some bass; and add some mids giving a tighter sound that cuts through the mix.
They are often used with the gain set to 0; and the level maxed out over an already overdriven amp.
What kind of music do you play? You certainly don't NEED an overdrive; but they can often help improve your sound.

I do predominantly play metal. Metallica, Megadeth etc.
Gear:

ESP Horizon NT II
ESP Horizon NT 7
ESP Horizon FR II
i see you are Australian..

a tubescreamer or similar will be good for tightening a high gain setup for sure.
mojostompboxes.com
Buy one. That is all you need to know
Caparison Angelus HGS, EMG 85/85 18V | Krank Rev1, JJ's | Mesa Recto Cab | Maxon OD808
It even works great for clean tones, just set the gain to 0 and the level low.

Whats you CAN do, is chain two ODs together, one of them set gain to 0 and level low, and the second set gain 0 and level low, then it's like you had the level higher, but not real high.

Just high enough.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
It even works great for clean tones, just set the gain to 0 and the level low.

Whats you CAN do, is chain two ODs together, one of them set gain to 0 and level low, and the second set gain 0 and level low, then it's like you had the level higher, but not real high.

Just high enough.

Hmmm so do I want an OD or a boost? Or both?
Gear:

ESP Horizon NT II
ESP Horizon NT 7
ESP Horizon FR II
Check my sig.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by bluestratplayer
^you always NEED an overdrive.

+1

it'll tighten up the amp a bit and make pinches jump out etc. Now, engls are already really tight and have tons of gain, so you don't technically "need" one, but i prefer the tone of my savage se with the gain turned down a bit but hit with an od. It's clearer, less mushy, and the notes jump out more.

I mean you can get a tubescreamer clone from the likes of joyo for like £25. Considering how much you've spent on your se halfstack, it's probably worth spending that to see if you'd like one.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Depends on the amp for me.
My Peavey ultra plus doesn't need one since i find it already has the feel i like..
I generally use them for mid gain amps to get into heavier territory.
Although on most of the mesa boogie rectos i've tried a boost is pretty much essential... YMMV on all of this ofcourse its up to personal taste.
In my view if you're happy with your amps tone now don't bother with an overdrive.. Makes life so much easier not having one for channel changes and the like..
Last edited by coolstoryangus at Nov 16, 2011,
Quote by Dave_Mc
+1

it'll tighten up the amp a bit and make pinches jump out etc. Now, engls are already really tight and have tons of gain, so you don't technically "need" one, but i prefer the tone of my savage se with the gain turned down a bit but hit with an od. It's clearer, less mushy, and the notes jump out more.

I mean you can get a tubescreamer clone from the likes of joyo for like £25. Considering how much you've spent on your se halfstack, it's probably worth spending that to see if you'd like one.

Oh I would definitely spend several hundred dollars on a premium overdrive.
Gear:

ESP Horizon NT II
ESP Horizon NT 7
ESP Horizon FR II
I think what dave is saying is that you're best buying a lower end overdrive first to see if you like the boosted effect then buy a higher end one if you like it... I mean they both do the same job in a similar fashion so its not worth splashing out 100s of dollars on a premium one just to try it. A high end one will be better but not that much better..
Last edited by coolstoryangus at Nov 16, 2011,
+1. especially if you're only using it as a boost. fair enough if you're doing the tgp robben ford chirp thing.

and also make sure the "premium" one isn't exactly the same thing

i'd say check out freestompboxes.org if you think i'm lying, but some boutiquers got the reverse-engineered boutique section shut down

Also, a lot of the boutique ODs solve the "shortcomings" of the tubescreamer- which is fine if you're using it as an od into a clean amp, but if you're using it as a boost you actually want that mid hump and bass cut a lot of the time. Sometimes it can be too much, depending on the amp and the tone you're after, but an awful lot of the time, it's exactly what you want.

also if you're only using it as a boost it's debatable if you'd hear any difference between a boutique TS clone and a cheap clone. I mean when i'm running my biyang as a boost (i don't recommend biyang as ime they're unreliable, just using it as an example) i can't hear any difference when i change the clipping modes... including the middle mode which, as far as i'm aware, has no clipping at all.

Go figure. If I can't hear the difference between actual pedal clipping or none, can you hear the difference between a cheapo cap and a more expensive one? or between bog standard and metal film resistors (FWIW i think the joyo uses metal film, certainly tonerider does which is another good value brand which does a ts clone).

Don't get me wrong- i'm not saying that boutique pedals are useless or anything like that. But for what you'd be using one for it's debatable if you'd need to go boutique- or at very least try a cheaper one first to make sure you actually like ODs.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Nov 16, 2011,
Quote by Megadeth09
Oh I would definitely spend several hundred dollars on a premium overdrive.

don't need to spend that kind of money at all. many excellent overdrives can be had for $100 (whatever that translates to where your at)

just so you know the practice of using an overdrive started in the 70s when most amps weren't very high gain. when amps started to get to the high gain that we have now guys still found that an overdrive helped to kick it up for leads. if you have a 3 channel amp then maybe it isn't really needed but that depends on how happy you are with your lead sound. since most overdrives have an EQ it's great to use to change your lead sound so it stands out more.
yeah. i remember when i got my engl i thought i didn't need an od because it had so many channels and already had tons of gain etc. then i got one and was kicking myself i didn't get one sooner.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by greeny23
i see you are Australian..

a tubescreamer or similar will be good for tightening a high gain setup for sure.

Indeed Hello fellow Aussie
Gear:

ESP Horizon NT II
ESP Horizon NT 7
ESP Horizon FR II
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah. i remember when i got my engl i thought i didn't need an od because it had so many channels and already had tons of gain etc. then i got one and was kicking myself i didn't get one sooner.

Wow lol. I will definitely get one!
Gear:

ESP Horizon NT II
ESP Horizon NT 7
ESP Horizon FR II
Will I need an EQ pedal with the overdrive pedal?
Gear:

ESP Horizon NT II
ESP Horizon NT 7
ESP Horizon FR II
I've never used one

then again considering my experience with ods i'm not sure if that's a good thing or not
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
u dont need the OD for gain per say, but if u just keep the level controll up and play around with the tone knob it really tightens up that bottom end. there are amps that can get by without them though. but it really jst adds a whole lot to your tone
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
u dont need the OD for gain per say, but if u just keep the level controll up and play around with the tone knob it really tightens up that bottom end. there are amps that can get by without them though. but it really jst adds a whole lot to your tone

Says the guy with another thread open about ODs.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
Says the guy with another thread open about ODs.

read the whole thread dood
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Meh. If your amp is tight enough, it's not necessary. Anything a Tubescreamer can do, a properly designed input stage can do.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
even my quite average modelling amp (Vox VT30) sound more 'alive' when I kick on my bad monkey - chuggy goodness.
Current Rig:

Eppy SG w/Swineheads, Marshall DSL 5c, Joyo Vintage OD, Joyo British Sound, Sounds Sounds Fuzz Face, GGG Guv'nor, Dr. Boogie Pedal, Crybaby in Red Sparkle, Digitech Hardwire Delay

The things I would do for a Les Paul...
Quote by EspTro
read the whole thread dood

Just 'razzing' you. No worries.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!