Page 1 of 13
Inspired by something that The Madcap said to me in another thread and just what I've noticed in general.

A lot of people I know view marriage in a... less than positive light. Some think it's outright stupid, some think that it's a sexist and confining bind, and others value it as the culminating step in their love with somebody else. Others, of course, cheat and/or get divorces pretty quickly.

I know it's a fairly modern way of thinking, the widespread offurence of these dissenting opinions on marriage. Even here on UG I've noticed that there's a lot of conflicting opinions.

So, what are YOUR opinions on it? Waste of time, stupid? Do you believe in "the sanctity of marriage"?

I didn't include a poll because there's so many possible options
My God, it's full of stars!
Marriage is more of a religious thing than anything as far as I understand, so it might not be for everyone.

I want to get married, it's nice to have and it's a special day you can share with each other, most people only get divorced because they can't pick spouses for shit. I'm trying to not be one of those people.
^ It doesn't have to be a religious thing. Mine wasn't.
I don't understand how it could possibly be sexist.

I don't plan on getting married myself, but I don't think it's a 'stupid' thing to do unless it's done in haste.
Check out my band Disturbed
The definitions, the norms, and expectations of marriage are changing due to shifts in traditional gender roles and the emerging legal recognition of homosexual marriages.

As it is now, I feel marriage is very expensive. As a guy in a traditional gender role, I have to buy a diamond, share my wealth, etc.

**** that shit. Diamonds are useless outside industrial operation. I ain't spending 10 grand for that. And yes, majority of girls will get pissed if you don't buy that diamond.
I think marriage is great and hope to experience it one day.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by Dudeinator
And yes, majority of girls will get pissed if you don't buy that diamond.

I'm interested to read this study. Do you have a link?
Check out my band Disturbed
I think marriage is a wonderful thing that can mean a lot for a couple, and I hope to find someone that I love enough to ask them to marry me.
I don't wanna have sex with you,
I wanna be yr friend, I wanna be with you,
I want you to marry meeee!
Quote by StewieSwan
I'm interested to read this study. Do you have a link?

Okay, there is no evidence to back my claim. Majority of girls that have talked to me about diamonds and marriage say will be pissed if the guy cheaps out on the diamond.
Quote by Dudeinator
Okay, there is no evidence to back my claim. Majority of girls that have talked to me about diamonds and marriage say will be pissed if the guy cheaps out on the diamond.

Easy solution. Don't marry a bitch.
I've been with my lady for 5+ years, and she's pretty much begging for it. I don't know, I feel like after a certain amount of time you're "married" anyways if the law says or not. Just because I don't want to get legally married doesn't mean I don't plan on being with her forever (or a very long time, let's be realistic.).
My sig? Nice.
Marriage isn't for everyone. That's all I got.
Quote by mcw00t
"so you mean if the father is sterile, the kid will be sterile too?"

Proof God exists and evolution is a lie:
Quote by elguitarrista3
the prove is u because u did n create urself and ur parents dindt and their parents didnt and so on and we are not monkeys peace

I don't think it's stupid, and I don't really want to get married. But if my girlfriend wants to I won't mind. As long as we have a kickass non-traditional wedding.
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
I think as long as you pick the right person to get married to, it's pretty awesome.

If you guys don't get along at all, fall out of love, don't trust each other, then it's pretty pointless. Best thing is to find someone, be with them for a long enough time to know them inside out, then get married.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Quote by neidnarb11890
I don't wanna have sex with you,
I wanna be yr friend, I wanna be with you,
I want you to marry meeee!
I wanna be a bear.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
I don't think it's necessary, but I certainly don't think it's silly or wrong.

You don't need a legally-binding religiously-based agreement to prove your love to someone. It is enough to just love and stay faithful. I certainly don't oppose it. Perhaps I'll get married one day, if it's what the lady wants.
Quote by StewieSwan
I don't understand how it could possibly be sexist.

Certain aspects of it are seen as sexist by some, such as taking the man's last name. Not that it's necessary to do that to get married though.

Personally I don't really see what's so great about marriage. I'm not against it though.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
i think the people that condemn marriage on religious grounds are ****ing idiots.

i for one value the institution of marriage on the basis of love. (and there you have it, the softest thing ive ever said on this website)
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by Dudeinator
The definitions, the norms, and expectations of marriage are changing due to shifts in traditional gender roles and the emerging legal recognition of homosexual marriages.

As it is now, I feel marriage is very expensive. As a guy in a traditional gender role, I have to buy a diamond, share my wealth, etc.

**** that shit. Diamonds are useless outside industrial operation. I ain't spending 10 grand for that. And yes, majority of girls will get pissed if you don't buy that diamond.

Tell them you wont buy them a diamond because you're opposed to slavery. If the bitch still has a problem with it, ditch her.
Quote by element4433
I think marriage is great and hope to experience it one day.

So do I...

Are you thinking what I'm thinking B1?

EDIT: Just realised one of my favourite childhood shows probably wasn't shown in America so you won't get that. Ignore this post
Last edited by devourke at Nov 16, 2011,
Although I can come across against marriage, I do want to eventually get married one day. I just hope whoever I end up with doesn't expect to get married within a year. I don't think I would know if I wanted to spend the rest of my life with her after only a year. I hate bitches who pressure guys for marriage. That shit ain't gonna fly by me.
I think marriage is generally an institution for sexism and stricter enforcement of gender roles, but it doesn't necessarily have to be.

And I think we as a society have a fetishistic obsession with marriage, and it leads us to look down on unmarried or divorced people - even if, for example, an unmarried couple is in a perfectly strong and healthy relationship. That's a huge problem imo. I don't think marriage is a required to truly legitimize a relationship.

EDIT: I don't feel like marriage is some special, romantic bond that is otherwise unattainable. I'd only get married for the legal perks.
Last edited by due 07 at Nov 16, 2011,
Quote by due 07
I think marriage is generally an institution for sexism and stricter enforcement of gender roles, but it doesn't necessarily have to be.

And I think we as a society have a fetishistic obsession with marriage, and it leads us to look down on unmarried or divorced people - even if, for example, an unmarried couple is in a perfectly strong and healthy relationship. That's a huge problem imo. I don't think marriage is a required to truly legitimize a relationship.

EDIT: I don't feel like marriage is some special, romantic bond that is otherwise unattainable. I'd only get married for the legal perks.

How is it "generally an institution for sexism and stricter enforcement of gender roles"? Marriage by itself entails no sort of thing and anything of the sort that results from the union is strictly a result of the two people who were married. They enforce whatever roles they choose for each other, not the marriage itself.
Quote by Dreadnought
How is it "generally an institution for sexism and stricter enforcement of gender roles"? Marriage by itself entails no sort of thing and anything of the sort that results from the union is strictly a result of the two people who were married. They enforce whatever roles they choose for each other, not the marriage itself.

Traditional gender roles, dude. It just means that when a couple enters marriage, society has pretty much shaped what your role in the marriage is going to be.
Quote by due 07

The difference in the way a couple acts together immediately before and immediately after a marriage. There's something about a ceremony celebrating your love that brings a couple closer than they would be otherwise.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

I think it's a pretty good thing, people just take it too seriously/not seriously enough and don't think about it enough. Something for me? Highly unlikely.
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
Quote by Dudeinator
Traditional gender roles, dude. It just means that when a couple enters marriage, society has pretty much shaped what your role in the marriage is going to be.

Yeah, this. Like I said, it doesn't have to be that way - it's just a challenge I think both parties have to overcome.

Quote by element4433
The difference in the way a couple acts together immediately before and immediately after a marriage. There's something about a ceremony celebrating your love that brings a couple closer than they would be otherwise.

That ceremony doesn't have to be a marriage, though. You're right though, because if you compare a big wedding to a courtroom quickie, there's definitely a difference int eh relationship dynamic (at least initially).
I understand the appeal of marriage, but I'm ambivalent about actually getting married at any point in the foreseeable future.

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
Quote by due 07
Yeah, this. Like I said, it doesn't have to be that way - it's just a challenge I think both parties have to overcome.

That ceremony doesn't have to be a marriage, though.
But why wouldn't it be?
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Quote by Dudeinator

No it hasn't. Society has had absolutely no impact on my marriage. I'm a grown man and my wife is a grown woman, we shape our own relationships and lives. I expect others to do the same
Last edited by Dreadnought at Nov 16, 2011,
Quote by element4433
But why wouldn't it be?

I dunno. But marriage is more than just a ceremony.
Quote by Dudeinator

I'm pretty sure the couple has the same roles before and after the marriage for the most part.
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
Quote by Dudeinator

Only if you let it.
I don't agree with it just for the fact that I don't need a piece of paper to show that I love someone. I also don't like the idea of being with a woman until divorce do we part, and losing out in the process.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Quote by Dudeinator

1. No it hasnt. Society can take the media and shove it up its ass. Garbage TV and movies has made representations of marriage based on the majority, by no means are a man and woman pigeonholed into those roles

2. Even if, what if a woman and man are happy in these typical gender role cookie cutter marriage setups? Who are you to give a ****? If my wife is happy to stay at home and do all the things that stereotypes expect her to, then who gives a flying shit?
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬