Some help would be appreciated on where to start as a guide when writing, I'm looking at playing bass in a post rock style band.
I understand starting with roots and then going to 5th and 7th's and jumping octaves.Thats literally bass lesson 1 and I'm stuck from there.

Just don't know where to go from there really. The genre isn't very structured so don't know if I would be better starting with a melodic bassline from a scale (probably based on whatever chords are being played/ ringing notes/ key of general atmospherics) and going from there. Rather than standard rock that focus' around the root and plays pretty close to that.

I'm pretty new to writing full stop so really don't know how to approach the whole thing let alone in a complex genre. I want what I do to often drive the direction of it as well as subtly compliment it. Thing Mogwai where sometimes the bass in the background and others its the whole melody.

Any help is welcome ,would rather not get a slagging off on why i own a bass but still need to ask for help with writing. Thanks
Spam Reported.

Can't answer the first question though, as I have no idea what 'postrock' is. I might suggest starting another thread, because this one has probably been killed by the first response.
Current Gear:

Warwick Thumb BO 4
Musicman "StatusRay" Stingray 4 - Carbon Fibre Neck
Musicman Stingray 5 HH
Sadowsky MV4 Jazz

Markbass LittleMark II
AccuGroove Tri12l
Sansamp VT Bass
Line6 BassPodXT Live

CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!

That should help

But on a serious note, I can't help that much because I don't listen to post-rock. Although, something that helps in any genre is to learn new techniques. Maybe try learning some slap and try fitting it into the song? (within context, of course).
pinga
I would listen to a lot of bands you like, learn their bass lines and see what they are doing in relation to the song. Also, learn all your scales and know the fretboard well. Then just play around and jam.

If you haven't listened to Sigur Ros, you should. Beautiful music!
Post-rock is all about knowing how layers function and adding/subtracting harmony for the sake of making a melody shine, or to take it away from front-stage occasionally - hell, contrapuntal melody can even make harmony if you play around with it enough. I don't know how much theory you know, but that's always the best way to start.

In addition, it's fine to look at bass as another instrument from guitar/keyboards/whatever your primary instrument is, because it is, but as long as you know your scales and chords and how to use them, you can skip the elementary stuff and just do what sounds good in the confines of the individual song. You can't look at it like a formula, especially with a sporadic genre like post-rock.

The listen-learn-apply thing is always good for any genre, but like I said, post-rock is a little everywhere, like progressive metal.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
It's more about texture - try and find ways of creating different textures with different notes, rhythms, playing styles etc.

Effects are also fun

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

I can only echo what everyone else has said, but props to you for trying out bass for post-rock, an unusual move. In my limited experience I've noticed that EitS, despite being quite generic at points, have some fairly varied and fun basslines, so you could play along and try and learn what he's doing in relation to the other parts, as glennick said. Likewise Russian Circles, who have a very driving bass and would be a good place to start if you want some prominence to your lines.

I'm a total amateur, so take all of this with a pinch of salt. Above all, good luck!