Page 1 of 2
Hi guys. So a friend of mine is in need of a new guitar. He currently has a beat up Squier Stratocaster and he's thinking of upgrading soon. He told me he's been looking into PRS guitars (SE 245) and he had a couple of questions that hopefully someone can answer:

1. Are PRS guitars good for alt rock/rock/contemporary rock?

2. How wide are the necks? (he has short-ish fingers like me)

3. Are there any other decent guitars in that price range or cheaper? ($600-700)

He's trying to find time to go to guitar center soon and wanted to know if there are any other guitars worth checking out while he's there.

Thanks for your help
Bass gear:
-Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass
-Fender Rumble 15 Amp

Guitar Gear:
-Agile AL-2000
-Boss Tu-3 Tuner -> Joyo Vintage Overdrive -> Joyo Vintage Ultimate Overdrive -> Ernie Ball MVP -> TC Nova Repeater
Last edited by itzkpanda at Nov 16, 2011,
Tell him to buy one - he will NOT be disappointed!
"A man chooses. A slave obeys."
I'd also look at Epiphone Les Paul Customs while you are there. Basically while you are there play anything in the price range that looks appealing to you. You'll know by playing them which one is the best fit for you.
^^ wow, you're omniscient!

anyway to answer the questions (i haven't tried the 245, but i've tried some of the other ses).

1: sure.

2: 43mm/ 1 11/16" i think?

3: sure, what type of guitars does he like? what's his amp? I'm guessing he wants a hardtail? etc.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
they are very good value for the money.

on the neck question - it's very wide, say in relation to a strat or a les paul.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
les paul should be teh same width
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ don't know for sure, i'm talking about the prs se series. i have one, the neck feels very wide compared to a les paul (which i used to have).

i have read that the wide neck on an se is one of the main characteristics, and it certainly feels that way to me. i can't quote actual numbers in terms of inches or millimetres but doubtless someone can (and will!). i guess google could reveal all.

I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Would it be hard to do solos with such a wide neck and short fingers?
Bass gear:
-Fender Rumble 15 Amp

Guitar Gear:
-Agile AL-2000
-Boss Tu-3 Tuner -> Joyo Vintage Overdrive -> Joyo Vintage Ultimate Overdrive -> Ernie Ball MVP -> TC Nova Repeater
^ it just depends, really

Quote by dr_john
^ don't know for sure, i'm talking about the prs se series. i have one, the neck feels very wide compared to a les paul (which i used to have).

i have read that the wide neck on an se is one of the main characteristics, and it certainly feels that way to me. i can't quote actual numbers in terms of inches or millimetres but doubtless someone can (and will!). i guess google could reveal all.

maybe

according to the prs site the widths are the same as a lp, but maybe the prs site only refers to the us-made ones...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have overwhelmingly been 'meh' about the PRS SE series. Save up the cash for a real one.
I have a PRS SE Custom 24 and it's a gorgeous guitar. Your friend will not be disappointed.
Quote by JustRooster
I have overwhelmingly been 'meh' about the PRS SE series. Save up the cash for a real one.

This, if it's a possibility for OP's friend. If not, the SE's are still rather good, but the American ones still blow them out of the water. I say this having owned both.

Yes. PRS is right up there with Gibsons. Incredibly popular, and tons of contemporary rock artists use them. Just know an SE is to PRS what an Epiphone is to Gibson.

I have short fingers too. The wide-fat necks are a little more wide than a Les Paul, but still manageable.

3. Are there any other decent guitars in that price range or cheaper? ($600-700)

Schecter C-1 Custom or Schecter Solo 6 Custom. Great bang for your buck, and ready for action right out the box. SE's may need a little modification if you want to do a gig with them, and I have a few tips for you if that's the case.
Last edited by Ghostmaker at Nov 16, 2011,
I know I'm pretty much reiterating what everyone else said, but

#1-yes, PRS is right there with Gibson as the standard axe for rock music. In fact, Alex Lifeson said that he swapped to Gibson because he could hear PRS in every rock song on the radio

#2-That SE 245 has what PRS calls the Wide Fat neck. It's like it sounds, pretty wide and pretty thick. Not 50's les paul thick, but there is some heft to it. My PRS has the same neck shape, and I have pretty small hands as well, and I don't have a problem with it. I was used to strat necks before I got my PRS, so there was an adjustment period, but there is so much tone to be had from thick necks like that that I got over it pretty quickly. Just tell your buddy to try it out over a period of time, ie don't go try and buy all in one day, give it a thorough workout and see if you can adjust to it.

#3-Sure, there are LTD's that are nice in that range, I think one of the EC line if you like single cuts. Plenty of Schecters, which are nice guitars. MIM/MIJ fenders can be had in that range, like HSS strats or my personal fave, the FMT telecaster. There is always Agile too. Epiphones are right in that range, but just make sure that you play it and really look it over before you buy one. There is absolutely nothing wrong with most epiphones, but some are a big pile of dog crap, and if you order offline or out of a catalog you don't have a lot of say in which one you'll get.
Gear:
1998 PRS CE 22-10 Top Natural Finish
MIM HSS Strat-Electron Blue
Vox AC4TV
1 - yes, very. as dave asked, what amp, other gear, etc.

2 - as said they have some heft, i find them to be more C shaped with less shoulders than gibson LP standard (current) neck. what kind of necks is he ok with? any examples?

3 - the LTD EC1000 gold top with alnico SDs comes to mind, but it has a bit thinner neck depending on what's going to work for your friends hands. there is no shortage of LP "type" guitars in that range from almost countless brands.
Quote by JustRooster
I have overwhelmingly been 'meh' about the PRS SE series.

same here

i mean there's nothing wrong with them or anything, they're fine for the price, but some people act like they're almost as good as the US PRSes, and, well, they're not.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
same here

i mean there's nothing wrong with them or anything, they're fine for the price, but some people act like they're almost as good as the US PRSes, and, well, they're not.

I agree with this, I just assumed that this was a given.
Gear:
Vox AC4TV
you can't assume anything's a given when you're on the internet
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

agreed. and it's not even like they have any abalone to speak of.

weird.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by ATLstang

#1-yes, PRS is right there with Gibson as the standard axe for rock music.

Whoa whoa whoa... since when the hell was there a standard guitar for rock music?
Quote by JustRooster
Whoa whoa whoa... since when the hell was there a standard guitar for rock music?

Quote by ATLstang
I know I'm pretty much reiterating what everyone else said, but

#1-yes, PRS is right there with Gibson as the standard axe for rock music. In fact, Alex Lifeson said that he swapped to Gibson because he could hear PRS in every rock song on the radio

He's back to playing PRS as well.

This is not meant to imply he no longer plays Gibson, obviously he does.

All pics taken during a 06/11 concert.
Quote by thehikingdude
He's back to playing PRS as well.

Oh yeah, I'm sure he uses whatever he wants on stage, but that quote I posted was his original excuse for swapping to Gibson. It sure sounded better than "Gibson is paying me an assload of money and they're going to produce a signature model for me"....Which incidentally is why Neal Schon plays PRS's now, but that's neither here nor there.
Gear:
Vox AC4TV
Quote by thehikingdude

And here this guy is playing out of neon-glowing clothes dryers. Forget the difference between Gibson and PRS, this guy is a true innovator
7 STRING LEGION

Damned Icon - Invictus

Quote by SYLrules88
im not very good with that harmonic thing. i get them to match perfectly then i play a chord and it sounds like hellen keller singing

Music Man
PRS
Mesa Boogie
Quote by ATLstang
Which incidentally is why Neal Schon plays PRS's now, but that's neither here nor there.

Not true whatsoever, but this thread has nothing to do with that so I'm out.

Edit: you may want to ask Neal why he left Gibson behind. He's been quite vocal about it.
Last edited by thehikingdude at Nov 16, 2011,
Quote by JustRooster

Oh come on... Really?
Offcourse a USA PRS will blow the SE line away. It's also 3-4 times it's price. This guy wants an upgrade for his SQUIER, and is NOT looking for a top end professional guitar that costs thousands of dollars. In the price range of 600-700$ for a new guitar, the SE line is pretty decent, along with other well built korean guitars.
If what you say would be the right answer, you should replay to every 'what Ibanez' topic "get a J-Custom" and to each 'I want a Jackson' topic "Save up for a USA Jackson".

Try to think within someone else's needs and ability to acquire a certain budget within a reasonable time.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by itzkpanda
Hi guys. So a friend of mine is in need of a new guitar. He currently has a beat up Squier Stratocaster and he's thinking of upgrading soon. He told me he's been looking into PRS guitars (SE 245) and he had a couple of questions that hopefully someone can answer:

He's trying to find time to go to guitar center soon and wanted to know if there are any other guitars worth checking out while he's there.

Thanks for your help
You're probably getting a feel for the overall answers, but here's my take:

When I first tried the SE line I wasn't impressed at all. But the last few years' worth have blown me away. I'd say dollar for dollar it'd be hard to find something with as much build quality and value as the PRS SE line. They're just awesome guitars!

1. Absolutely. Just saw Opeth play and they were using their Signature SE models.

2. The width is only one facet -- there's also the thickness and shape. See below
Quote by prsguitars.com

PATTERN NECK SHAPES - CURRENT

Neck shapes have always been a high priority for PRS and a hallmark of our quality. A guitar should feel comfortable, like "home," as soon as you pick it up, and the neck is paramount to that connection. These new neck shapes reflect modern tooling and programming that allows us to even more preciously shape and consistently reproduce our necks.

Perfected after years of prototyping, the new "Pattern" neck is an updated Wide Fat PRS neck style based on Paul’s pre-factory design. These necks were found on the instruments built for Carlos Santana, Peter Frampton and Howard Leese from the late 70’s to the mid 80’s.

The new "Pattern Regular" neck shape is similar to the traditional PRS regular neck found on guitars made in the late 80’s at PRS’s former Virginia Avenue location.

The "Pattern Thin" neck is an updated version of PRS’s traditional Wide Thin neck.

FORMER NECK SHAPES

The Regular (sometimes called Standard) neck is a round neck shape that is 1/32 narrower and not quite as thick front to back as our Wide Fat neck.

The Wide Fat neck has the same nut width as the Wide Thin neck, but it has a deeper profile. Because of its strength and longer "heel", the Wide Fat neck produces warm tones with lots of sustain.

The Wide Thin neck has a thinner profile front to back than the Wide Fat. It is a favorite of fast players and lead guitar players.

WIDTH OF THE FRETBOARD AT THE NUT:

■Pattern, Wide Fat - 1 11/16"
■Pattern Thin, Wide Thin - 1 11/16"
■Pattern Regular, Regular - 1 21/32"
■12 String - 1 47/64"

WIDTH AT THE BODY

■Pattern, Wide Fat - 2 1/4"
■Pattern Thin, Wide Thin - 2 1/4"
■Pattern Regular, Regular - 2 1/4"
■12 String - 2 19/64"

NECK DEPTH AT THE NUT

■Pattern, Wide Fat - 27/32"
■Pattern Thin, Wide Thin - 25/32"
■Pattern Regular, Regular - 27/32"
■12 String - 27/32"

FINGERBOARD RADIUS

■10" on all guitars except when otherwise stated
■11 1/2" on the Santana models and 12 strings

SCALE LENGTH

■25" on most models except when otherwise specified
■24 1/2" on the SC 58, Santana, Starla, Starla X, Mira X and 245 models
■25 1/4" on 513, DC3, and NF3
■25 1/2" on 305
The SE 245 that you're talking about is a 22 fret, 24 1/2" scale length, wide fat necked guitar. Using the chart above you should be able to get an accurate comparison with other guitars (for instance; the Epiphone Les Paul Custom is a 22 fret, 24 3/4" scale length, SlimTaper™ D-profile necked guitar)

3. Tons! Epiphone, ESP, Schecter, Carvin (you can find some REALLY well made stuff by them), Fender, Ibanez, Jackson, etc.
Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
Last edited by richardlpalmer at Nov 16, 2011,
Quote by thehikingdude
Not true whatsoever, but this thread has nothing to do with that so I'm out.

Edit: you may want to ask Neal why he left Gibson behind. He's been quite vocal about it.

Lifeson's gibson signature is a variant of the axcess les paul. The axcess les paul is a ripoff of the neal schol signature just much much cheaper. This pissed Neal off and he swapped to PRS. Lifeson's signature had nothing to do with it other than it was an axcess, maybe that's why you were confused.
Gear:
Vox AC4TV
Quote by ATLstang
Lifeson's gibson signature is a variant of the axcess les paul. The axcess les paul is a ripoff of the neal schol signature just much much cheaper. This pissed Neal off and he swapped to PRS. Lifeson's signature had nothing to do with it other than it was an axcess, maybe that's why you were confused.

Well aware, anyway.........

Back to the OP:

I own a PRS SE Singlecut. Sure it's not a US made PRS, but for $350 (got it used) it's a hell of a lot of guitar for that kind of money. Still has the PRS feel and stands well above many brands I've owned and played when it comes to quality control. Many suggest replacing the tuners and the nut, but I didn't find it necessary. Go give them a try, I think you will be happily surprised.
Quote by LP_CL
Oh come on... Really?
Offcourse a USA PRS will blow the SE line away. It's also 3-4 times it's price. This guy wants an upgrade for his SQUIER, and is NOT looking for a top end professional guitar that costs thousands of dollars. In the price range of 600-700$ for a new guitar, the SE line is pretty decent, along with other well built korean guitars.
If what you say would be the right answer, you should replay to every 'what Ibanez' topic "get a J-Custom" and to each 'I want a Jackson' topic "Save up for a USA Jackson".

Try to think within someone else's needs and ability to acquire a certain budget within a reasonable time.

If $600-$700 is his range, then there are much better alternatives used than a PRS SE.
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
Get a Les Paul Supreme. MUCH better guitars.

Did you bother to look at his price range?

Sorry to derail the thread earlier, I just don't like making a light comment and getting told I'm wrong over something stupid.
Gear:
Vox AC4TV
Save another $200 and get a 2nd hand PRS CE

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by LP_CL
Oh come on... Really?

i can't speak for him, but certainly when i agreed with him, i was sorta adding some counterbalance to all the SE fanboy posts.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
TS, just tell your friend to get the guitar. Havent tried the 245, but i tried many other SEs and even a Mira, and its just the way to go for any kind of rock.
Bass gear:
-Fender Rumble 15 Amp

Guitar Gear:
-Agile AL-2000
The fact is, with Epis you pay alot more for the name, and for the same price, a SE will have better build quality. But let him get the guitar he wants
I'd go for the 245 any day of the week over that LP...
Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
Page 1 of 2