I've been playing the guitar for four years now but I've yet to really learn how to create my own solo. I sadly live in a very metal guitarist deprived area, so I was never really able to find much of help. Yes, there's the internet and things already made out, but I rather speak to people through like a forum like this. I also have very limited access to the internet and I can not always be on it to look up guitar things. I'm asking for help to create MELODIC death metal and heavy metal solo's, perhaps a very informative and helpful site? A video I may download? Anything of the sort as long as it may help tremendously. I thank you in advance.

ಠ_ಠ
Last edited by stefanomire at Nov 16, 2011,
First learn how to play some death metal solos that you like, and then analyse them - which notes do they play, whats the rhythm guitar doing (figure out a progression). Try to replicate some aspects of it that you like.
And remember, it's not about the scales, but how you use them.
Play random notes. Tremelo pick non stop. Boom. Death Metal. If you want REAL metal lead playing. Listen to Dimebag Darrell.
Quote by piszczel
First learn how to play some death metal solos that you like, and then analyse them - which notes do they play, whats the rhythm guitar doing (figure out a progression). Try to replicate some aspects of it that you like.
And remember, it's not about the scales, but how you use them.

that's how my mind set has always been. I never really cared for scales. music shouldn't be something following predefined rules, it should be something from the soul
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Fear The Abyss
Play random notes. Tremelo pick non stop. Boom. Death Metal. If you want REAL metal lead playing. Listen to Dimebag Darrell.

I believe you are mistaken with deathcore
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Fear The Abyss

The thing is with death metal, its an acquired taste. Some of the solos in death metal songs are actaully very good, even if theres very little melody in the song itself.

To be honest, soloing is pretty much the same across the board for metal. You might use more distortion, tune down lower, but its essentially the same. What will get you better at soloing is just trying to solo - and mainly learning and analysing solos that you like.

And Dimebag is not the best metal lead player there is. That's just an opinion. Even though he wrote some cool solos and riffs, he's far from my favourite guitarists.
Quote by stefanomire
that's how my mind set has always been. I never really cared for scales. music shouldn't be something following predefined rules, it should be something from the soul

Now here's where you're going wrong... You're probably one of those people who think music theory will just limit you as a musician by creating rules for music.
It's a way of describing music, not imposing rules. Also if you know some theory, it's actually much easier to play something that's in your head, because you know how to get there. Theory is not a must, but it helps. A lot.
Quote by piszczel
The thing is with death metal, its an acquired taste. Some of the solos in death metal songs are actaully very good, even if theres very little melody in the song itself.

To be honest, soloing is pretty much the same across the board for metal. You might use more distortion, tune down lower, but its essentially the same. What will get you better at soloing is just trying to solo - and mainly learning and analysing solos that you like.

And Dimebag is not the best metal lead player there is. That's just an opinion. Even though he wrote some cool solos and riffs, he's far from my favourite guitarists.

I believe there is a difference between "melodic death Metal" and "Death metal" solos. Melodic being the better of the two.
Quote by Fear The Abyss
I believe there is a difference between "melodic death Metal" and "Death metal" solos. Melodic being the better of the two.

you just helped me relise my mistake, I had meant melodic deathmetal
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Fear The Abyss

Music is subjective.

TS, piszczel is right, theory doesn't limit musical creativity and will only aid you as a musician. He also gave great advice by saying that you should try to play and 'analyse' some death metal solo's that you like.
Quote by Fear The Abyss

The Faceless. That's all I have to say about this. Even though they're technical death...
Quote by Keth
Music is subjective.
you should try to play and 'analyse' some death metal solo's
That is rather difficult... though i wouldn't analyse them. Most aren't even worthy of it... but ... in the melodic side, sure... go for it. A bit of theory might help...

A cheaper approach, TS, is to hear how its going and where... replicate in feel and setting, aim for climax. But learn a few scales while you're at it. Pls.
Last edited by evolucian at Nov 16, 2011,
Quote by stefanomire
you just helped me relise my mistake, I had meant melodic deathmetal

People say "You don't need to know music theory to make a solo" Unless you want your solos to sound like Kerry King... Learn some Modes, Scales, and that kind of shit.
Quote by Fear The Abyss
People say "You don't need to know music theory to make a solo" Unless you want your solos to sound like Kerry King... Learn some Modes, Scales, and that kind of shit.

I didn't say I don't know any of it. I see it as a guideline for my playing, but not a set of rules.
ಠ_ಠ