Hey gang, I have the 25th anniversary edition of the PRS SE Custom 24 in scarlet red. This guitar is gorgeous. A real good looker.

I've had her for a year now, and she's covered in finger prints, smears, and such and needs a good cleaning.

What do you use to clean your guitars? I don't wanna ruin the finish by spraying something bad on it.
Dunlop Formula 65 polish, 65 lemon oil would be good for your fretboard, too. Make sure you get a dust-free rag.
Thanks JR.
PRS sells a guitar cleaner and polish but they said it wasn't safe for nitro finishes, hence my post. I'm waiting on a call back from the PRS customer service guy, so we'll see what finish it is on the SE models.
Don't you have to worry about the the type of wood when using lemon oil? I know the one I use says not to use on Maple (flametops) then again it may be a different PH
Quote by BigHeadClan
Don't you have to worry about the the type of wood when using lemon oil? I know the one I use says not to use on Maple (flametops) then again it may be a different PH

Lemon oil is specifically for rosewood fretboards.
I use Gibson's finish polish for nitro finishes and Dunlop's for poly finishes. I use the Dunlop lemon oil for rosewood fretboards. If your PRS is one of the ones with a rosewood neck back then you'll want to use it on that too.

Otherwise I find a good clean cloth and a little elbow grease is the best thing. No point using chemicals if you don't need them. Most swears, fingerprints and dust will wipe off with just a fine cotton cloth
I can not stress this enough.

use the correct cloth.

use a nitro safe spray if it's got a nitro finish.

and Dunlop fretboard oil in small amounts
a couple times a year, for unfinished boards.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
My bad mis-read mis-read, for some reason I thought Dunlop Formula 65 was the same as lemon oil...... Yeah reading comprehension ftw!
I've got the Gibson Vintage Cleaning set. They claim it's the same stuff they use on the old 58's and 59's. I didn't believe them. Assumed it was a thing to make it sell. Then I used it. It's actually amazing. It's got a metal cleaner, a fretboard cleaner and a polish. It makes the guitar look amazing. Like, brand new.
The PRS rep called me back and said it's an acrylic finish, so it's cool.
honestly i don't bother with polishing a guitar or keeping it smudge free, because all of the smudges will be back within a few hours of playing it.

lemon oil rosewood fretboards twice a year or so.

little 0000 steel wool on the frets for a shine up and de-grime (mask off the 'board) again every six months.

i set up my guitars every 4 months usually just on the ones that get a substantial amount of play, the other will get 6 months.

thats just how i do it. everybody does it a little bit differently.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by JustRooster
Lemon oil is specifically for rosewood fretboards.

I use it on Ebony, know if this can hurt? I haven't noticed a difference in the fretboard yet, Have only used it once or twice since I've had the guitar (going on 2 years).
One of the guys at my guitar shop said it works on ebony equally well, my bottle of lemon oil only mentions maple so can't really make any suggestions.
Lemon oil is fine for most dark woods such as ebony, rosewood, pao ferro(spelling?) etc. but yeah, no touchy on the maple.
Lemon oil is mainly for darker woods because they tend to dry out and shrink, the oil helps to prevent this. As for the rest if it's a modern guitar with a modern finish then regular house hold polish is totally fine. You can also use it sparingly on non varnished maple boards, just put a bit on a cloth and rub.
I'd always be careful with older nitro finishes though, they seem to be fussy so I'd use something that's made specifically for it if anything.
I've been taking care of guitars for 30+ years..

Every time I change the strings, I use ................... wait for it........................

WINDEX!!! and an old T-shirt.. one thats been washed a hundred times.. No lint and soft as a baby's butt... Gets rid of all the finger prints and smudges.

I spray a thin film of Lemon Oil on a rosewood fretboard, let it sit for a few minutes, then wipe it back off... bout twice a year, put a heavy coat on it and let it sit for an hour or so...

If that's got you trembling with dis belief with your mouths gaping open in horror... I also use ......................... wait for it..................................

CARNUBA PASTE WAX!!!!... $2.99 at autozone and one can will last years if you keep the lid on it... It covers scratches, gives the guitar a nice shine, and makes fingerprints not stick to well... Carnuba doesn't contain any solvents or harsh chemicals so it's safe for your finish....

OF COURSE folks like Gibson and PRS are going to tell you "You need OUR SPECIAL GUITAR POLISH"... cuz they sell it for 10.99 for a 4 oz bottle...

My guitars look great... Play great..... believe it or don't...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Quote by Papabear505
I've been taking care of guitars for 30+ years..

Every time I change the strings, I use ................... wait for it........................

WINDEX!!! and an old T-shirt.. one thats been washed a hundred times.. No lint and soft as a baby's butt... Gets rid of all the finger prints and smudges.

I spray a thin film of Lemon Oil on a rosewood fretboard, let it sit for a few minutes, then wipe it back off... bout twice a year, put a heavy coat on it and let it sit for an hour or so...

If that's got you trembling with dis belief with your mouths gaping open in horror... I also use ......................... wait for it..................................

CARNUBA PASTE WAX!!!!... $2.99 at autozone and one can will last years if you keep the lid on it... It covers scratches, gives the guitar a nice shine, and makes fingerprints not stick to well... Carnuba doesn't contain any solvents or harsh chemicals so it's safe for your finish....

OF COURSE folks like Gibson and PRS are going to tell you "You need OUR SPECIAL GUITAR POLISH"... cuz they sell it for 10.99 for a 4 oz bottle...

My guitars look great... Play great..... believe it or don't...

a lot of people use carnuba wax, car wax on the finished surfaces.

i'd never use windex though. that's just using harsh chemicals for no reason.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by Papabear505

That is the exact wrong thing to do with lemon oil. Saturating the board does far more harm than good.
Quote by grohl1987
That is the exact wrong thing to do with lemon oil. Saturating the board does far more harm than good.

Your opinion... been doing it for years.. was told to do that by a very good set up man that had over 40 years experience when I found him.. so.. I listened to him.. He never steered me wrong..
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Quote by grohl1987

+1 i glanced over his post and missed this part also.

it's really bad to soak the board.

a dry board generally wont harm the guitar, But a saturated board will.
a dry board, will generally be oiled enough from use.

conversely,
if you have small cracks, the excess oil can swell the board, permeate the cracks and make them worse.

like the windex, there's no benefit to adding excessive lemon oil.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Last edited by jj1565 at Nov 17, 2011,
too much oil... to little oil.. It's a preference or an opinion or what ever... the guy that told me how to use it had been in the business for a lot of years... I probably wouldn't trust him to change the oil in my car.. but I'd let him work on my guitar any day...

My point was that these kids are talked into buying Gibson guitar cleaning kits and PRS WOW Wax not to mention being told by every guitar salesman that "If you don't use this, it will explode into tooth picks and catch FIRE!!" It's crap and marketing and very unnecessary Windex isn't a harsh chemical, it's ammonia, or if thats too harsh.. Water and Vinegar. Don't dunk the guitar in it... spray a little bit on it and wipe the smudges off of it. Carnuba Paste wax, while used on cars, is also polish for finished wood. Nothing harsh about it, and it's a durable protective shine.. And if you're worried about "Waxy Build up" the ammonia in the Windex strips it off without hurting guitar's finish, that is of course unless you applied your last coat of wax with a putty knife...

You don't need to spend 10.99 for 4 oz of cleaner that isn't special at all...

or you do.. it's up to you...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Quote by Papabear505
too much oil... to little oil.. It's a preference or an opinion or what ever... the guy that told me how to use it had been in the business for a lot of years... I probably wouldn't trust him to change the oil in my car.. but I'd let him work on my guitar any day...

My point was that these kids are talked into buying Gibson guitar cleaning kits and PRS WOW Wax not to mention being told by every guitar salesman that "If you don't use this, it will explode into tooth picks and catch FIRE!!" It's crap and marketing and very unnecessary Windex isn't a harsh chemical, it's ammonia, or if thats too harsh.. Water and Vinegar. Don't dunk the guitar in it... spray a little bit on it and wipe the smudges off of it. Carnuba Paste wax, while used on cars, is also polish for finished wood. Nothing harsh about it, and it's a durable protective shine.. And if you're worried about "Waxy Build up" the ammonia in the Windex strips it off without hurting guitar's finish, that is of course unless you applied your last coat of wax with a putty knife...

You don't need to spend 10.99 for 4 oz of cleaner that isn't special at all...

or you do.. it's up to you...

no need to pretend others in the thread are shouting "fire" in a crowded movie theater.
we are just giving simple and sound advice.

the thing is.
there's a definite wrong way to care for wood.
saturating a fretboard, is not the correct way to care for it.

you might prefer to ignore common knowledge.
but that doesn't make proper care "preference".

especially when it's passed down to young members looking for help.

ammonia is a harsh chemical, and completely unnecessary,
for proper guitar maintenance.

and lastly, products dedicated to cleaning and oiling guitars are extremely
inexpensive. one bottle lasts for YEARS.

yes, like i said, many people polish finished surfaces with car wax.
and that's fine,

but there are milder formulas for nitro guitars.

i know from experience how delicate some thin skin finishes are,
and there's no reason to risk damage from a supermarket product,
when the correct product is so readily available.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
no need to pretend others in the thread are shouting "fire" in a crowded movie theater.
we are just giving simple and sound advice.

I’m not saying that the products that Gibson or PRS license don’t do their job. I’m just saying that there are alternatives that do the job just as well.
Quote by jj1565
the thing is.
there's a definite wrong way to care for wood.
saturating a fretboard, is not the correct way to care for it.

If there is one thing that comes with age it’s wisdom, and the wisdom that I’ve gained includes being able to admit when I’m wrong… You’re statement above is in line with everything I was able to find on the internet. (a very big place by the way) So, I’ll not be saturating my fret board any more.

Quote by jj1565
you might prefer to ignore common knowledge.
but that doesn't make proper care "preference".

No, but it doesn’t mean that there isn’t more than one way to properly care for an instrument.
Quote by jj1565
ammonia is a harsh chemical, and completely unnecessary,
for proper guitar maintenance.

Pure ammonia is a harsh chemical, and so is pure lemon oil. Ammonia is used in window cleaner as an anti streaking agent. It helps water evaporate faster. The concentration of ammonia in glass cleaner isn’t going to hurt any modern guitar finishes. Nitro finishes, I agree are different.
Quote by jj1565
i know from experience how delicate some thin skin finishes are,
and there's no reason to risk damage from a supermarket product,
when the correct product is so readily available.

I will agree to disagree here. Proper care doesn’t have to mean using expensive products that more than likely weren’t developed by anyone in the guitar industry. A product salesman sold those products to the guitar manufacturers, and there are cheaper alternatives out there. If you do your homework, you can save some money. I change my strings and clean my instruments every week, 2 at the most on 3 guitars. If I can save some money and not give Gibson or Fender any more of my money than I absolutely have to, I’m happy.

For the Youngsters out there reading this, I offer my apologies for the confusion. Do your homework, and when in doubt, spend the money to get the right product. I don’t agree with everything that jj1565 has said, but she’s not wrong.
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62