Hey all,

I want to improve my pickups of my ESP LTD EC-100
It is a littlebit too muddy imo.. and if possible, the palm mutes can be a little more tight and boomy

I was thinking about changing the bridge pickup..

my gear is in my sig

as it hasn't space for batteries ( and i don't wanna ruin my guitar ) will i prefer passives over actives ( exept when it's soo much better etc.. )

no max budget, but i will keep it the less as posssible, but i will spend more if it's the best decision

If it's better to get a other guitar, please also suggest me which guitar ( also for this, money isn't a problem, only a time before getting enough )

Hope i gave enough information. ( if not please reply and i will answer everything )

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance

Tunder
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30
I personally would a better guitar to compliment your amp, but I have heard good things about ESP guitars.

Do you really like the feel of your guitar?
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Guitarbaddie
I personally would a better guitar to compliment your amp, but I have heard good things about ESP guitars.

Do you really like the feel of your guitar?

I wouldn't buy it when i didn't like the feel
It feels really good for me..
Quote by RetroGunslinger

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Framus FR212 v30
Take a look at BKP pupz then.

Rather expensive, but I have expensive tastes.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Guitarbaddie
Take a look at BKP pupz then.

Rather expensive, but I have expensive tastes.

will it have more clarity? which one are you talking about?

I also want it to be versatile, because i will stay as versatile as possible
Quote by RetroGunslinger

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Framus FR212 v30
Ive noticed something, on the lower end LTD's the hardtail guitars sound looser even though the pups are the same. My H51 has the same pups as my MH, but its a lot looser and darker. Same with the EC50 I once tried. No such issue with the M100.

A BKP will probably cost more than that entire guitar.

A good verastile set would be a Crunchlab in the bridge and an Air Norton in the neck. Liquifire if you wanna do the whole Petrucci thing.
I have heard a pretty fresh set-up being p90 in the neck, and coil-split bucker.

As for a versatile BKP bucker, not sure, I'm more familiar with metal
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Ive noticed something, on the lower end LTD's the hardtail guitars sound looser even though the pups are the same. My H51 has the same pups as my MH, but its a lot looser and darker. Same with the EC50 I once tried. No such issue with the M100.

A BKP will probably cost more than that entire guitar.

A good verastile set would be a Crunchlab in the bridge and an Air Norton in the neck. Liquifire if you wanna do the whole Petrucci thing.

I kinda like the sound, its pretty good imo.. exept the muddy-ness and i would like to have it more boomy palm mutes..

I can't complain about the cleans..

the ec-100 costs 300€

Who is petrucci? ( just kidding )
Quote by RetroGunslinger

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Framus FR212 v30
If money isnt a problem, I suggest you sell your EC50 and get one of the higher end EC's if you like the feel. The 400's and 300's are seriously awesome guitars.

Quote by Tunder250
I kinda like the sound, its pretty good imo.. exept the muddy-ness and i would like to have it more boomy palm mutes..

I can't complain about the cleans..

the ec-100 costs 300€

Who is petrucci? ( just kidding )

300 euros? Da ****?

Here its about 100 and its still overpriced thanks to 36% import tax

A set of 2 BKP's with no frills is about 250 euros.

If you want more low end, look for a passive with high DX resistance.
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Nov 16, 2011,
Quote by GS LEAD 5
If money isnt a problem, I suggest you sell your EC50 and get one of the higher end EC's if you like the feel. The 400's and 300's are seriously awesome guitars.

i don't have the 50, i have the 100.. they dont stock the 300 and 400 here..
and can't find them on thomann..

i can see the 200 on thomann, with LH-300 pickups.. ( instead of the LH-150 puckups i have now.. )

what pickups? i am a total noob when it comes to pickups..
Quote by RetroGunslinger

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Framus FR212 v30
Quote by GS LEAD 5
the 50, 100 and 200 are very similar build quality wise.

Name some bands you want to sound like. You have a HK Triamp MK1 no? So amp wont be a problem.

That's kinda the point, i don't really know where to sound like

I like KSE's tones, and the tones from DevilDriver a lot, but i also like Lostprophets' tone ( clean and distorted )

I just want a "own" sound..

I prefer to keep my guitar, in the worst case i would have to buy some BKP's ( which are kinda expensive, but when it sounds better, it is worth it imo )

When it's reallllly better to get a other guitar, i will do that, of course..
Quote by RetroGunslinger

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Framus FR212 v30
if you like your guitar, it's probably worth an upgrade. That being said, BKPs might be overkill- something like tonerider (though they've gone up a fair bit in price recently, you can get some of the cheaper handwound stuff for not much more) or irongear might be worth a look, though I haven't tried either. But they'd probably be a decent improvement over your stock pickups without breaking the bank.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
if you like your guitar, it's probably worth an upgrade. That being said, BKPs might be overkill- something like tonerider (though they've gone up a fair bit in price recently, you can get some of the cheaper handwound stuff for not much more) or irongear might be worth a look, though I haven't tried either. But they'd probably be a decent improvement over your stock pickups without breaking the bank.

I will look at all, but still need specific models ( i think.. )

Quote by WtrPlyr
Look at the Creamery. The guy has some awesome handwired pickups for cheapz

I don't really NEED handwired pickups....

I assume i still can remove them from my ec100, when i will buy a other guitar when i want to change them ( i assume my arms don't get paralyzed )
Quote by RetroGunslinger

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Framus FR212 v30
^ yep, though they'd have to suit the next guitar, and fit it!

i haven't tried either irongear or tonerider, but i think tonerider only has one higher output pickup, and irongear has two or three. I mean you could always email them for advice on which to go for.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Tunder250
I will look at all, but still need specific models ( i think.. )

I don't really NEED handwired pickups....

I assume i still can remove them from my ec100, when i will buy a other guitar when i want to change them ( i assume my arms don't get paralyzed )

If you plan on getting a new guitar, and sticking the new pups in them, then BKP is a pretty good option. Go to their site, they have sound clips as well as (crude) frequency response curves. The Aftermath is good for tight, "balanced" tone, the Warpig is your bet if you want mega high output and very dark tone.

The EC is basswood right? So pretty much any combination of pickups will suit it- its not a very individualistic wood. Doesnt have any humps in the frequency range, good if you want to get your tone out of amps/pedals/pickups.
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Nov 17, 2011,
Quote by GS LEAD 5
If you plan on getting a new guitar, and sticking the new pups in them, then BKP is a pretty good option. Go to their site, they have sound clips as well as (crude) frequency response curves. The Aftermath is good for tight, "balanced" tone, the Warpig is your bet if you want mega high output and very dark tone.

The EC is basswood right? So pretty much any combination of pickups will suit it- its not a very individualistic wood. Doesnt have any humps in the frequency range, good if you want to get your tone out of amps/pedals/pickups.

yup, it's basswood. Thanks
will listen and look at those clips then

Quote by Dave_Mc
^ yep, though they'd have to suit the next guitar, and fit it!

i haven't tried either irongear or tonerider, but i think tonerider only has one higher output pickup, and irongear has two or three. I mean you could always email them for advice on which to go for.

Thanks, will surely do ^^

I will also email them to BKP then.. was looking at the order-scheme from BKP, didn't know there were different sizes etc...

Thanks all
Quote by RetroGunslinger

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Framus FR212 v30
Quote by GS LEAD 5
^Most passive humbuckers with poles are the same. EMG's are bigger than regular humbuckers. And F spaced and regular buckers are different.

You want a non F spaced one, since the EC is a hardtail.

okay, i really don't get it, but i will just smile and say okay

Im a total noob when it comes to pickups..
Quote by RetroGunslinger

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Framus FR212 v30
Quote by Tunder250

Thanks, will surely do ^^

I will also email them to BKP then.. was looking at the order-scheme from BKP, didn't know there were different sizes etc...

Thanks all

no problem. I should probably add that tonerider has never answered my emails

But yeah it can get complicated with teh pickups. I know about the fender-spaced ones, but bkp also offers long and short leg versions, and i'm not sure what's going on with that
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
no problem. I should probably add that tonerider has never answered my emails

But yeah it can get complicated with teh pickups. I know about the fender-spaced ones, but bkp also offers long and short leg versions, and i'm not sure what's going on with that

I am sure i will email them asking what they think suits best for my guitar

bad that they never answered mails ;p
Quote by RetroGunslinger

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Framus FR212 v30
yeah it's annoying. maybe their spam filters are messed up
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah it's annoying. maybe their spam filters are messed up

Oh I'm sure they're working just fine...
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
probably
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?