OK so I am wanting to learn the riff to Asking Alexandria's The Final Epiode. I learnt the whole song by ear except the riff, now I know what fret's to play but I need to learn it with a metronome since it's a little to fast for me.

e|------------------------------------------------------------|
B|------------------------------------------------------------|
G|------------------------------------------------------------|
D|------------------------------------------------------------|
A|--8-----7-----10---8---7h8---8-----7-----10---8---7h8-------|
E|----0-0---0-0----0---0---------0-0---0-0----0---0-----------|
      . .   . .    .   .         . .   . .    .   .

e|----------------------------------------------------------|
B|----------------------------------------------------------|
G|----------------------------------------------------------|
D|----------------------------------------------------------|
A|--12-----10-----8---10---8-----10-----8-----7---8---7-----|
E|-----0-0----0-0---0----0----------0-0---0-0---0---0-------|
       . .    . .   .    .          . .   . .   .   .

Now the timing sig is 6/8 for this song but I don't know how to play to that can someone explain how I play to the time sig?
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Vyper 15w
Peavey 6505+ 112
You can think of it as 3/4...so you just count (1,2,3) in your head or you can count 6 16th notes to a bar, so "1and2and3and". Hope I've explained that clearly enough, not sure I have really.
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
6/8 means six quavers (eighth notes) per measure. So you just play 6 quavers, or the equivalent of that if you're using other notes, every bar. It's annoying without the sheet music though, because I can't get an idea of the note values.
My stuff

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Ibanez ADC120
Tanglewood TGRF VS
Blackstar HT20
Roland Micro Cube
I reckon you will be able to play it in time to the time sig by "feel", the riff probably matches up with the drums
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
If you have a digital metronome you can set the metronome at 6/8. Start at 70-80bpm and work your way up.
Ibanez RG1550 Prestige
Schecter C1 Hellraiser
MIJ Ibanez Pro-line 1550
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS- 9
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal
POD HD300
That was very helpful guy's but I dont think I asked what I was thinking. let me try again lol. I set my metronome to 6/8 time sig now how do I know what to play to every beat or click? Do I just take each note an play it on every beat so like,

8= first beat, 0= second click, 0= third click, 7= forth click etc.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Vyper 15w
Peavey 6505+ 112
Not really I just started learning my theroy why?
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Vyper 15w
Peavey 6505+ 112
Quote by Austin174
OK so I am wanting to learn the riff to Asking Alexandria's The Final Epiode. I learnt the whole song by ear except the riff, now I know what fret's to play but I need to learn it with a metronome since it's a little to fast for me.

e|------------------------------------------------------------|
B|------------------------------------------------------------|
G|------------------------------------------------------------|
D|------------------------------------------------------------|
A|--[B]8[/B]-----7-----[B]10[/B]---8---7h8---[B]8[/B]-----7-----[B]10[/B]---8---7h8-------|
E|----0-0---0-0----0---0---------0-0---0-0----0---0-----------|
. . . . . . . . . . . .

e|----------------------------------------------------------|
B|----------------------------------------------------------|
G|----------------------------------------------------------|
D|----------------------------------------------------------|
A|--[B]12[/B]-----10-----[B]8[/B]---10---8-----[B]10[/B]-----8-----[B]7[/B]---8---7-----|
E|-----0-0----0-0---0----0----------0-0---0-0---0---0-------|
. . . . . . . . . . . .

Now the timing sig is 6/8 for this song but I don't know how to play to that can someone explain how I play to the time sig?

Not really I just started learning my theroy why?

Well 6/8 is compound time, and 2/4 is simple time. For reasons that are probably not worth delving in to right now.

Anyhow, when you listen to the song, can you hear where the accents are?

The highlighted parts are where you should tap your foot. Essentially, a 6/8 time signature is "felt" in two.
Last edited by mdc at Nov 16, 2011,
Quote by mdc
Well 6/8 is compound time, and 2/4 is simple time. For reasons that are probably not worth delving in to right now.

Anyhow, when you listen to the song, can you hear where the accents are?

The highlighted parts are where you should tap your foot. Essentially, a 6/8 time signature is "felt" in two.

So you should tap your foot where I've highlighted on the tab.

Ok now that you put it that way I understand it more. Since you said it's " felt " in two I play 2 notes at a time for every beat which would make 6. But now how do you make the 8 part of the time sig?
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Vyper 15w
Peavey 6505+ 112
It's kinda difficult to go through all the fundamentals on a forum like this.

I would set your metronome around 60bpm. Basically that's what a dotted crotchet will be worth. Again don't worry.

The most important thing here, is that you can develop independence between tapping your foot and playing said riff.

P.S All credit to you for transcribing. You're in a good place.
Alright thank you. Also yes it was not that hard what I did wa found the notes that were being played then I added in the open's afterwards lol.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Vyper 15w
Peavey 6505+ 112
Sorry for double post.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Vyper 15w
Peavey 6505+ 112