Hey guys!

Well i finally hit the 10 month mark, ive been practicing like crazy and praying to god for help.

This is where im at right now, please assess how im doing so far so i know weather to keep up the same pace slow it down or speed it up!

I understand these techniques and can use then in a real situation:

- All the positions of the major and minor pentatonic scales
- The normal major scale, and the harmonic and natural minor scale, and Mixolydian scale ( i only know the 1st position of all these right now tho. )
- Bar chords, Minor, Major, and minor and major 7th and regular 7th.
- Many and many open chords...
- Minor and Major Arpegios in a couple diff positions.
- Power chords and palm muting,
- Can create decent solos that match my fav bands, Stryper, Ted nugent, Ratt... and others. Can also use palm muting will doing solos at the start to get that 80's sound i want.
- Know all the notes across and Low E and the A string ( standard Tuning ) And can catch onto the key of a song whithen 10 seconds of it.

Things i have done outside my bed room to get things going socially
- I play at a laid back church that plays rock and allows guitar solos every friday
- I also play at out local Nazarene church for the last 4 months and play infron of 200 people 1st service and 400 second.

Ive been posting stuff on these forums and learning for the last 10 months, learning stuff off you tube and other web sites... i cant afford a teacher so im doing this all on my own.

I would appreciate constructive criticism or anything u guys got to say. thanks again guys for everything!!!

PS: The only real song ive learned was the begening to every rose has its thorn, other then that ive been making my stuff up. thats why it was so easy to play with others in the begening
Last edited by Jmccorkle1222 at Nov 16, 2011,
Mixolydian scale? That's not a scale, that's a mode. And don't ask what a mode is, because you don't need to know.

Other than that, you seem to be going about things well. Have you worked on your vibrato at all? Because that's a big part of your playing.
My stuff

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Ibanez ADC120
Tanglewood TGRF VS
Blackstar HT20
Roland Micro Cube
Quote by lfcagger
Mixolydian scale? That's not a scale, that's a mode.

Have you worked on your vibrato at all? Because that's a big part of your playing.

+1
Just go at whatever pace you like. Also, it's important to realize that YOU and ONLY YOU are responsible for your playing ability.
Quote by Jesus
Gaza Strip- home. At least it was before I fucked ereythang up...
Quote by lfcagger
Mixolydian scale? That's not a scale, that's a mode. And don't ask what a mode is, because you don't need to know.

Other than that, you seem to be going about things well. Have you worked on your vibrato at all? Because that's a big part of your playing.

Sorry man, I just thought modes and scales were all the same..

Of course! i use vibrato all the time in my playing, adds so much depth to it!!
^ I'm know nothing about modes myself, but there's so much crap on the internet that it's too easy to get misinformed, which I seem to be
My stuff

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Ibanez ADC120
Tanglewood TGRF VS
Blackstar HT20
Roland Micro Cube
I can try to put a video up bro!

ill tell you now tho, i might mess up a note or 2 in a song, everything i do is spontaneous and sometimes i hit the wrong note :P im sure u guys know what i mean!

ill head to walmart and get a web cam and a adapter for my guitar to plug into my pc
Quote by Jmccorkle1222
- All the positions of the major and minor pentatonic scales
- The normal major scale, and the harmonic and natural minor scale, and Mixolydian scale ( i only know the 1st position of all these right now tho. )

Do you know how the scales are constructed? It's more important (imo) to view the scale and notes and intervals rather than some fingering patterns on the fretboard.
Quote by Jmccorkle1222
- Know all the notes across and Low E and the A string ( standard Tuning ) And can catch onto the key of a song whithen 10 seconds of it.

Do it for the other strings, as you already know 3 (high E being the same notes, obviously) - it won't take much longer and it's invaluable to understand your fretboard completely.

Here's my advice though: at the end of the day, all it comes down to is whether or not you're headed in the direction you want to go. There's no real gauge as to what you should be learning, for two reasons. One, everybody learns at a different pace, and two, people all want to learn different things; remember that you're learning the guitar in order to play and create music, so whatever you think will help you do that is what you should be learning. Enjoy the journey rather than worrying about how you'll stack up against other players; as long as you're enjoying what you're doing, your learning is productive.
Last edited by :-D at Nov 16, 2011,
Modes are actually quite simple to understand, IMO the hardest part is memorizing all their names. If you know the Major scale, the rest really just falls into place and then you just analyze the concept on your own time to figure out different patterns.

A mode is a scale, the difference is that a mode is derived from a scale.

These are the steps, or degrees, of the Major scale: WWHWWWH (W=whole step, H=half step). To keep this simple, let's use the key of C. Following this pattern of going up the major scale, you get the notes:CDEFGABC. This is the first mode of the major scale, because it is the major scale. (in C, of course)

So, now here is the really easy part- and also the important part if you ask me. You know that pattern of whole and half steps for the major scale? (WWHWWWH) If you wanted to get the second mode of the major scale, all you do is move that pattern to the left by one letter.

For example:
WWHWWWH (Major scale, the first mode of) would be changed to:
WHWWWHW (Dorian mode, second mode of the major scale)

You just keep going like that, and you can get all seven modes of any scale. I'll give you a table of all seven just because I have a bit too much time on my hands:

WWHWWWH (1st mode, Ionian)
WHWWWHW (2nd mode, Dorian)
HWWWHWW (3rd mode, Phrygian)
WWWHWWH (4th mode, Lydian)
WWHWWHW (5th mode, Mixolydian)
WHWWHWW (6th mode, Aeolian)
HWWHWWW (7th mode, Locrian)

You have most likely seen many of these names before, and you can remember the order of the names with the easy-to-remember acronym IDPLMAL, or "I Discovered Penis Last Monday After Lunch". Just try to forget that one after reading it a few times!

You can do this for any other scale you can think of, but I believe the names of the modes are different for different scales, simply because they use different patterns of whole and half steps.

If you have any questions about modes, feel free to ask me!

*EDIT* There's more to it that that, but the pattern I mentioned really is how modes work in the simplest sense.
Quote by Jesus
Gaza Strip- home. At least it was before I fucked ereythang up...
Last edited by JimDawson at Nov 16, 2011,
What you know on paper and what you can apply in a practical sense are normally two different things, take some graded exams to put your guitar applied theory to the test. Otherwise there is no logical feedback that can be given to a list of things you can do.

In no way am i intending to sound derogatory to what you know.