What do you guys think of his imprisonment so far? My friend is a huge Lennon fan, and basically her opinion on the topic is 'if it were anyone else, I think he should be released. But he killed JOHN LENNON, so I don't give a **** if he rots forever'

Personally I think he should be released. He spent 31 years getting psychiatric help, he hasn't had a single behavioral incident (didn't get in fights etc) and he seems a lot more than remorseful to me. His obsession with being in the spotlight seems to be over. I don't have much sympathy with murderers, but I'm starting to think this guy's done his time. He had mental health issues at the time.

Also, do you think that if it were someone other than John Lennon he'd shot, would he have already been released? Is the justice system's opinion skewed when it comes to celebrities?

inb4 butthurt Lennon fans.
I don't know enough about him, but if that's the only crime he's committed and he's shown nothing but good behavior, I don't see the harm in letting him walk.
I don't know enough about it to voice a full opinion on it, but he should not get extra jail time because he shot Lennon as opposed to someone else.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
haha wow, what a dumb friend. anyway, yes i think he should be in jail no matter who it was he killed, but he clearly has mental problems and should be helped.
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by Banjocal
I don't know enough about it to voice a full opinion on it, but he should not get extra jail time because he shot Lennon as opposed to someone else.

This, really.
I mean, when you kill someone getting a life sentence should mean life, but under the current system it doesn't mean that. So if other killers are being let free after 15-20 years or so, then he should have been out a while ago.
i don't know. isn't the justice system supposed to disregard celebrity status? it would be pretty unfair otherwise.
It's the same as if he killed anyone else. John Lennon was famous, yes, but I don't really think he should be in jail forever because of that, I think he should be treated the same way as if he killed anyone else. If it's been 31 YEARS and he hasn't done anything bad in those 31 years, I'd say let him be released but be kept under a close watch.

People need to put themselves in his shoes before blindly stating he should rot in prison.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow
How was Confucius death metal?
You've clearly never read any Confuscius.

As I wait on the edge of the earth,
I can see the walls being torn down again
Only to be rebuilt in another name,
On a different day
He served plenty of time, got the medical help he needed, has good behavior, don't see why he shouldn't be released by now

First question, no. Second question, yes to a certain point. Celebrities can afford excellent lawyers that the average citizen could never afford, thus giving them a higher probability of winning their case.
Quote by PsiGuy60
Banned for respecting my opinion and politely disagreeing.
You're probably the most respectful person in the Pit.
Well I forgot to mention this in the OP, but would it be fair to keep him incarcerated for his own well being? The last time his parole came around; 6,000 fans signed a petition to keep him inside and made death threats against him if released. Should the possibility of John Lennon fans attempting to harm him in any way influence their decision? Or should they at least try and be secretive about his release (Witness protection program type stuff, new ID etc.) yet still keep a close monitor on him?
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Well I forgot to mention this in the OP, but would it be fair to keep him incarcerated for his own well being? The last time his parole came around; 6,000 fans signed a petition to keep him inside and made death threats against him if released. Should the possibility of John Lennon fans attempting to harm him in any way influence their decision? Or should they at least try and be secretive about his release (Witness protection program type stuff, new ID etc.) yet still keep a close monitor on him?

Think carefully about how many of those 6,000 fans considered how keeping him locked up due to their own personal ills with him was unjust when compared to "just another person" being killed, and not a celebrity. Also think about how many of them took into account his mental problems, and how many had an intimate enough understanding of law to make such a decision in an informed manner.

Their petition is worthless.

If he is rehabilitated and his mental issues are not likely to recur, then he should be released based on his current behaviour, not his past behaviour.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
I think he's a really underrated guitarist, it's a shame A never really went anywhere.
OUT OF ORDER
Yeah that's true. However that's not the way that a parole board might take it. I mean, he's still in jail isn't he?

That's why I mentioned him being given a new identity, but I bet even a cop would take a swing at this guy. It's kind of like a test: Either risk the public's safety and make him a completely different person, only having a handful of people knowing who he really is. Or choose to share information about his release and keep the public safe; but have him become a walking bulls eye in the process.

Sounds like something out of the Saw series if you ask me
I'm really torn on this one. On one hand, despite loving John Lennon, I don't think he should get extra time for killing someone famous and/or important. That's just as injust as someone getting away with a crime because of their fame. On the other hand however, he did receive a life sentence, and I think that spending the rest of your life in prison is an adequate punishment for killing someone.
In my opinion, if you murder someone you should have life imprisonment, so no, I don't think he should be released.
#ENTITLED
WENGER OUT!!!

lastfm
He was only doing what he was paid to do.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Consideration has to be made for how he will cope outside, the world has changed a great deal in 30 years.
John Lennon lived a few blocks away from my apartment. I regularly walk on the sidewalk that on the exact spot where he was shot. I have a problem with releasing from prison someone who committed premeditated murder like that. He may have been a little loony but he understood what he was doing, he understood right from wrong, and he knew the pain he would cause not just to Lennon's friends and family but to hundreds of millions of people around the world. And still he executed Lennon in cold blood on the street in front of his wife. Shot him up so bad that the NYPD who responded didn't even wait for the ambulance, they tried to get him to the hospital in a police car. And for the last 31 years my tax dollars have been paying his room, board and medical care. So I don't have a lot of sympathy for Mark David Chapman. Let him out when he's 80.
There was some news on this past year on UG, about Chapman not getting parole or something. I can't remember well but I do recall many people thinking the decision was pretty biased, precisely because he murdered Lennon.

But if it's been more than 30 years of treatment and no bad behavior already, there should be no problem on releasing him.
Professional lurker since 2009.
John Lennon fans making death threats?

John would have loved that.

Shame he didnt get Yoko too....

He should be released if he is remorseful and has had no issues, hell some people get let out after half of his sentence.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Apparently killing a much loved celebrity is much worse than killing a much loved average joe.
When I saw the thread title, I thought of the guy off the radio...

---

I can understand those people saying things like 'life should mean life', but that's not the issue here. Life generally doesn't mean that in current justice systems.

The issue is whether or not Lennon's celebrity status is keeping the guy in jail. Like others have said, if he'd murdered some average guy who didn't have millions of fans, there's a good chance he'd be out of jail by now given his good behaviour. But he's still in there. I don't really know the specifics, so I don't know just how 'good' he's been.

It is tricky, though, because it only takes one loony Lennon fan to find out where he is and decide to take revenge. The authorities would have to take a big role in making sure nobody attacks him if they do let him out.

But again, that shouldn't be the issue. "Having to protect him will be expensive" shouldn't be an excuse to keep a man in jail if he otherwise would have been released. If he's done his time, then he's done his time.
I could really not care if he's released, but if he is it's only a matter of time before some crazy person kills him for revenge.
Xbox Live GT: IX Michael IX