Okay, so just a little background:

Myself and the other guitar player in our band (and our bassist but this really doesn't concern him) are looking to upgrade amps to cabs/halfstacks/whatever the technical term is. I have a Raven RG100 currently (Terrible amp, I know) and he has a Fender amp of the same size, but I do not remember what model exactly.

So:

1. In the interest of saving some money right now, would it possible to just buy cabs and use our current amps as heads, and eventually buy nicer heads when we have the money?

2. What would some good heads/cabs be for hardcore/metal?

Neither one of us knows anything about the subject really, so I'm turning to you guys for advice. If you would like to ridicule me for being a complete and utter noob, be my guest, it's warranted
Quote by asator
YOU'RE A CUNT AND STUFF LESPAUL1216.

It's okay because whatever, forever
I cant answer the first one but as for the second one you'll want a mesa boogie dual rectifier or peavey 6505.
both of you should go and buy decent tube combo amps based on your budget.
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
What is your budget? You can find really good combos and not even need a head/cab setup. But if you'd really like the two seperate you can certainly go that route.

Some amps do have an option for powering a cabinet (like your Raven). Not sure about your friend's Fender though. And starting with a nice cab could be a good way to go -- another is to get a nice head and use your current amps as the cabinet (again, yours doesn't allow this but his might).
Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
Last edited by richardlpalmer at Nov 16, 2011,
If this is the one you have (http://www.guitarcenter.com/Raven-RG100-Guitar-Combo-Amplifier-481620-i1911170.gc), then yes it does have an extension speaker cab output (at least according to the specs), so you could plug it into a cab using a cab cable (which is slightly different from your common instrument cable), but as mentioned above, you're probably better off getting a really good cab, and then you just need the matching head when you upgrade your amp, or save the money you'd spend on the cab and put it towards a good tube combo.
Epi Sheraton II or MIA FSR strat > wah Q535 > fuzzface > Keeley C4 > Qtron > Whammy > Liquid Chorus > Triboost > Hotcake > BigMuff > Small Stone > VolumePlus > SpaceEcho > Cathedral Reverb > LoFi > MemoryMan > BYOC vibrato > DD-7 > Vox AC15 C1
Quote by EspTro
both of you should go and buy decent tube combo amps based on your budget.

pretty ballsy statement considering i didn't give a budget....

Quote by cheeekens
If this is the one you have (http://www.guitarcenter.com/Raven-RG100-Guitar-Combo-Amplifier-481620-i1911170.gc), then yes it does have an extension speaker cab output (at least according to the specs), so you could plug it into a cab using a cab cable (which is slightly different from your common instrument cable), but as mentioned above, you're probably better off getting a really good cab, and then you just need the matching head when you upgrade your amp, or save the money you'd spend on the cab and put it towards a good tube combo.

thank you. i'll definately consider the tube combo possibility, but i think we're gonna go the route of getting cabs for existing amps and then getting decent heads when we get more money
Quote by asator
YOU'RE A CUNT AND STUFF LESPAUL1216.

It's okay because whatever, forever
ok, he didn't givee a budget or genre of music they play. No suggestions should be made until this information is giving. He could be in an indie rock group and have 3 people advise 6505 heads.
Quote by lespaul1216

thank you. i'll definately consider the tube combo possibility, but i think we're gonna go the route of getting cabs for existing amps and then getting decent heads when we get more money

i meant if u were to give a budget, sorry if it came off different then i meant it.
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by lespaul1216

I think what he meant is you guys should buy an amp based on whatever budget you have -- that your budget will be the deciding factor...
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
Honestly, you have a Raven, he has a Fender, probably a Frontman series if i had to guess. I would say take the money you would spend on cabs and buy nicer combos. I can't recommend any because you haven't given much info, but you could get something that would get you a much better tone. Running your amp through a cabinet isn't going to magically fix the tone. You would be suprised how many nice, affordable used combo amps there are out there. Sorry if i sound like an ass at any point, just trying to give the best advice i can. No disrespect intended
again, totally wasted breath without preferences and budget and genre, but the old blue tolexed Crate Blue Voodoo amps actually sound pretty good. i was messing with mine today. i bought it to mess around with it and do some modding, and i spent an hour or two on the EQ and A/B-ing it with quite a few other amps, and it sounds pretty good. they are on CL here for $200-$250 any day of the week. i got mine for $150 and a sonic maximizer pedal for one with a brand new set of extra tubes.

a lot of people will say its a POS, and i would have said that up until today. the EQ is really fussy and supersensitive.

but again that could be wasted breath.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by lespaul1216
i'll definately consider the tube combo possibility, but i think we're gonna go the route of getting cabs for existing amps and then getting decent heads when we get more money

Out of curiosity, what's the reasoning behind this?

Unless you guys are playing huge venues, a decent tube amp will be more than loud enough - also, I'd rather have a reasonably good tube sound than use cabs to amplify shitty heads.
Quote by lespaul1216
Okay, so just a little background:

Myself and the other guitar player in our band (and our bassist but this really doesn't concern him) are looking to upgrade amps to cabs/halfstacks/whatever the technical term is. I have a Raven RG100 currently (Terrible amp, I know) and he has a Fender amp of the same size, but I do not remember what model exactly.

So:

1. In the interest of saving some money right now, would it possible to just buy cabs and use our current amps as heads, and eventually buy nicer heads when we have the money?

2. What would some good heads/cabs be for hardcore/metal?

Neither one of us knows anything about the subject really, so I'm turning to you guys for advice. If you would like to ridicule me for being a complete and utter noob, be my guest, it's warranted

Okay, so other than wanting something for hardcore/metal, can you give us any other information? Do you guys have a budget in mind? How about if you sold the stuff you currently have -- what would be your budget at that point?
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
I think the comment of a combo amp being within your budget was originally made because you hinted at saving money. I didn't read that as being ballsy at all. You're the one who asked about a solution that wouldn't cost as much as buying a new head and cab right now. If you don't like the advice then don't take it, but don't be a dick.

Anyway... given your situation I would do one of two things. I would either keep playing what I had, or buy a whole new setup at once (head and cab). Certain cabs sound better with certain amp heads. So if you buy a cab now, there's a chance it won't match right with whatever amp head you end up getting down the road. You'd be better off getting them together.

Or seriously, look at some combo amps. My Blackstar Stage 60 combo is ridiculous loud (as loud, if not louder, than the JCM2000 head and cab I used to have). It's heavy as a mofo though
Current Gear:
2002 Gibson Les Paul Standard
'57 AVRI Fender Stratocaster
MIJ Fender Jaguar Special HH
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
Also, the Stage 60 is probably the best Blackstar I've heard of their HT line. And it will do Metal/Hardcore. And won't break the bank...
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
Quote by richardlpalmer
Also, the Stage 60 is probably the best Blackstar I've heard of their HT line. And it will do Metal/Hardcore. And won't break the bank...

^ Absolutely! I still haven't found a sound I can't get out of it. It's like a Marshall, a Mesa and a Fender all rolled into one. With a couple pedals in front it can do just about anything. Metal, blues, classic rock, modern rock, bright spanky cleans, warm cleans, etc...

And no I don't work on commission for Blackstar
Current Gear:
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
Quote by 57Goldtop
^ Absolutely! I still haven't found a sound I can't get out of it. It's like a Marshall, a Mesa and a Fender all rolled into one. With a couple pedals in front it can do just about anything. Metal, blues, classic rock, modern rock, bright spanky cleans, warm cleans, etc...

And no I don't work on commission for Blackstar

This was going to be my next amp but I needed something with a power soak option for home/recording use. It's still at the top of my list for a gigging amp if/when needed.
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
Quote by richardlpalmer
This was going to be my next amp but I needed something with a power soak option for home/recording use. It's still at the top of my list for a gigging amp if/when needed.

Over the summer I decided to upgrade my amp setup and I was going back and forth between this and a Marshall JCM900 DSL50 head with a cab. I ended up getting the Marshall. I liked it, but I wasn't really blown away by it. I eventually sold it and bought the Blackstar and I couldn't be happier. And the kicker is I still have pretty much the same tones I was getting out of the DSL50, plus a ton more
Current Gear:
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2