I've just ordered a set of D'Addario XL Nickel Jazz Light .12 - .52, and D'Addario XL Medium Top/Heavy Bottom .11 - .52

My Jackson SLSMG came with .9's, I'm wondering if there's anything I'd need to adjust to not mess up the guitar?

And also I'm wondering which set will be better for A tuning up to Standard D tuning!
If you want to play both of those tunings, you're going to **** with your guitars intonation.
if you have a floyd rose string size changes are a problem. other than that you should be fine
i dont know if anybody else caught that, but he said he wants to tune to A. I have 12-56 on my guitar, and it BARELY handles B. i keep it in drop c most of the time, and even then, its kind of noodley. i would suggest you pick a tuning and go with the appropriate string guage for that.
Quote by User_Name336
i dont know if anybody else caught that, but he said he wants to tune to A. I have 12-56 on my guitar, and it BARELY handles B. i keep it in drop c most of the time, and even then, its kind of noodley. i would suggest you pick a tuning and go with the appropriate string guage for that.

I only want to tune to A to cover some songs by Golem.. other than that I'll be in mostly B tuning through Dd.
I don't have a floyd rose.. Which would at least be best for what I want? the .12 - .52 or the .11 through .52?
just so that you are aware of what your saying....changing tunings that drasitaclly will wear on your strings...alot...like..you'll be replacing them every 2-3 weeks if your going to be hopping around from A to D and back....

My suggestion would be to set up your current guitar in D, and then get a BARITONE guitar and set it up to that silly A tuning.

I would go with the 12's for the d standard..but the 11's are a good choice also, I just prefer thicker/tighter strings.
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
Quote by Controlpanel
just so that you are aware of what your saying....changing tunings that drasitaclly will wear on your strings...alot...like..you'll be replacing them every 2-3 weeks if your going to be hopping around from A to D and back....

My suggestion would be to set up your current guitar in D, and then get a BARITONE guitar and set it up to that silly A tuning.

I would go with the 12's for the d standard..but the 11's are a good choice also, I just prefer thicker/tighter strings.

I've been going back and forth from D to A with .9's and although it is REAL loose in A it gets the job done. So I just want tighter strings is all. And how's standard A "silly"?

Thanks for the suggestion, I might go with the .12's then so I can have thicker/tighter strings
Last edited by touke at Nov 16, 2011,