Hey Everyone,

I'm trying to understand the proper way to play guitar parts that are like this...how do you not play the middle string?

--12-- ---12--- ----12----
-------- --------- ------------
---9--- ----9----- ---9-----

this guy does an awesome cover of the song and here is him playing this part. It sounds awesome, so how does he do it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_e7sp180VGM&feature=player_detailpage#t=210s
have one of your fingers gently touch the middle string, I usually use the very tip of my ring finger while still fretting the D string. This mutes the string and allows you to hit it without making a sound.
Quote by celticstorm84
endless supply of cats = endless supply of food.

Quote by Calibos
I've also noticed that as i've got older, I want to be further and further away from the front at a gig. Damn kids with their mushy pits and walls of doom.
have you tried muting the middle string with the finger playing the on the ninth fret?
---x---- ---x----- ----x----
---9--- ---9----- ----9-----
try playing it like that and see if it sounds right
Quote by DanielMcArdle
hahaha his guitar isn't plugged in...

I believe it's wireless. This guy isn't faking
You have 5 fingers on your right hand, you know.
Gear
-Fender HSS MiM Deluxe Strat
-Guitar Research T30r Tube amp
Boss Overdrive/Distortion OS-2
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss BF-2 Flanger
SKB PS-8 8-Port 9VDC Powered Pedalboard
Ovation Applause AE-128
Manuel Rodriguez Caballero 11
Usually I would have a finger on the string you don't want to play between the 2 frets your figures are on. That Usually works for me instead of using one finger to mute and press.
Quote by Trefellin
Anyone with half a brain knows that Jesus is way more metal than Satan. Lucifer was the worlds very first emo.

Quote by glowinghamster4'

i just want to let you know that made my day.

Quote by Weaponized
Solid state master race
what I do that works very well for things like that is to bar the strings with your left hand but bar them as a mute rather than to play them, then use 2 fingers to fret the notes you're playing so only those ring out and every other string is muted.

edit: at first I thought these were the G B E strings, if they're the E A D strings, power chord form with the ring finger muting the A string.
Last edited by Necronomicon at Nov 16, 2011,
These are called octaves.

Play like a power chord except instead of playing the 5th, mute the middle string with your first finger.
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
Quote by itz_neek
You have 5 fingers on your right hand, you know.

Does it look like that guy is using a finger on his right hand to mute a string? I don't mean to sound crass but that's how you come across.
Depends what I was playing but either mute as above, or (brace yerself) tuck my pick into my forefinger (in such a way where it can be held using the 1 finger and remains easily retrievable) and pluck using my middle finger and thumb....run with what everyone else said!
Grammar Nazi.
Quote by Feudalism
Hey Everyone,

I'm trying to understand the proper way to play guitar parts that are like this...how do you not play the middle string?

-------- --------- ------------
---9--- ----9----- ---9-----

this guy does an awesome cover of the song and here is him playing this part. It sounds awesome, so how does he do it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_e7sp180VGM&feature=player_detailpage#t=210s

If it's written exactly like that, and not with an "x" in between the 9 and 12, pick the 9 as normal, and at the same time you're picking the 9, use your middle finger to pick the 12. So both notes are played simultaneously. Or do it the way Kerrang said, that works too. Any way that's comfortable.

If it is written with an "x" in the middle, that means the string is muted, so do as the others are suggesting and just mute that string and strum it normally.

They have different sounds.
Last edited by stratdax at Nov 16, 2011,
Use the finger which is fretting the 9th. Instead of arching it over the string like normal, just allow it to rest on the string below

If that doesn't get the intended sound, try using your right hand thumb to play the 9th fretted string, and your index finger for the 12th. That's what I do for a part of the All Along the Watchtower solo