Poll: Does music come naturally to you?
Poll Options
View poll results: Does music come naturally to you?
yes
131 72%
no
51 28%
Voters: 182.
Page 1 of 3
Poll coming.

Pretty simple pit. Does music come naturally to you? Or do you have to work solidly just to put 2 notes together?

I've worked really hard on music since an early age, but singing and listening (pitch perfectness and pitching harmonies) has always come naturally for me. And when I took up guitar lessons, my teacher said I was a natural.

However, now I'm doing a music degree I find some aspects that came naturally, difficult.

What about you pit?
to an extent, yea. my friend has been playing for 4 years, i'm just hitting 2 and i sound better than him and all my technique is better than his.
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Now lately music is coming naturally for me. Since I've found my new source of inspiration in a swedish instrumental artis/producer music's become much easier. Now I love playing my acoustic guitar and just piece little nice bits together.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Honestly? Yeah.

I NEVER practice properly. Just piss around and I'm pretty decent. Guitar, Drums, Bass + Screams.
RIP Tom Searle.
I'll be the first to admit Im shit but then again I don't play much anymore
Quote by JaykeSucks
Instead of paying $500 to bail him out, pay a criminal $500 to bum him. That'll learn him.
I just seem to pick up anything I set my mind to musically. And theory comes without difficulty too. I just get music. My practice habits aren't the best though.
Absolutely not. In fact, I feel like I'm quite the opposite; I think I'm naturally inept at music
Quote by captaincrunk
It's hard work. There is a learning curve, once you reach the top it becomes much easier.
This. But when I reached the top of said curve (I had an interest, so it wasn't too slow), I started to pick things up very quickly. I'm more naturally inclined to creating musical ideas, bending theory etc. than picking up techniques quickly, though I'm pretty good at that too. Music is a part of me, as far as I'm concerned.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
I'm naturally inclined towards music, and I am naturally inclined towards creation. Put the two together, and you have something great. My motivation and discipline to practice technique keeps me from mastering the guitar in full, but I don't really care because I have a great time playing nice little acoustic bits that sound awesome.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Music does come naturally to me, but the one thing I don't have is perfect pitch. I would kill for it though.
Definitely. I never took any lessons or anything. Picked up my strat from the pawn shop in 7th grade and just went home and started messing with it. I found UG and just started looking at tabs and figuring things out. I can also play a lot of other instruments too without any proper training. I think it's one of my gifts and I'm really grateful to have it. It was always fun for me to teach myself, so I'm glad that it never felt like a chore since I always just kind of got it.
Quote by Snuffles
You are an absolute god, offspring_punk

Quote by drop-dead666
You're a retard, read Scourges posts. There is already a system folder, why do I need a system32.
Quote by moscaespañol

Just stop
Dare you to be my friend ........
please?
Ever since an early age about 6 or 7. I remember that i hated it whenever a singer missed even the slightest note.

Never knew why, i didn't know any theory behind it back then.
ALL HAIL HYPNOTOAD

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Dude, I think I would know, Trivium invented Thrash, Metallica are lucky they got as far as they did piggy-backing off of Trivium's signature style.
Far from it. There is no natural music ability for me, I have to practice. But I don't practice anymore and thus my playing suffers.
No, I worked my balls off to get to where I am writing wise.

By second month of playing I was "meh", but at the time I was "holy shit he's awesome for 2 months." I could play like, eruption

Yeah it was fast progress, but I literally spent like, 8+ hours a day like 5 days a week. So it didn't come naturally to me. After all that, then WRITTING music started to come more naturally and not just technique, I didn't bother with any theory, or anything other than exactly wanted to play. Even now I'll hit ruts, but who doesn't? At this point, playing about 5 years, writting comes fairly naturally to me, but music in general certainly didn't.

So not really, sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't, but the trick is to just work at it.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Last edited by Tango616 at Nov 16, 2011,
Sometimes,it depends on what mood I'm in.Sadly when I try to make music it sounds really chessy
please?
Quote by J-dog-Ibanez
Just stop

you can't stop the nod.

281-330-8004, that's my cell phone number, hit me up on the low
I just go with the flow when I write. Lyrics, it is hard, but when they finish up they're okay. The rest is fairly easy for me.
Quote by moscaespañol
you can't stop the nod.
You can when you overuse it so much it becomes banned.

I don't really believe in talent in the way that supposedly untalented people see it as. They see it as a way to excuse their own inability to put the effort in required. They congratulate us needlessly, as if we're special. We're not.

To me, talent and natural abilities are linked very closely with, and are an origin of commitment and dedication. If you are dedicated to becoming better, if you believe it, dare I say it, in your heart, you can succeed and reach your goal.
Quote by moscaespañol
you can't stop the nod.

Sadly,you right.

Damn
please?
Yes. Some things are harder, but those things I find to be the most exciting. If the challenge was gone from music, I'd rapidly lose interest in it.
I have a friend who SUCKS at playing music. But, he has such a good ear for it he can spot talent and a good band / song / artist from 1 or 2 records. This guy KNOWS music inside and out but he just cant create it. I'd say he's naturally musical, but I wouldn't say he's creative.
Grammar Nazi.
There is a lot of horn tooting in this thread.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Quote by Jack Off Jill

I actually couldn't agree any more if I tried.
Grammar Nazi.
Yep. To me its comes so naturally that I can't even explain its magnitude. It just is.

Quote by Jack Off Jill

Well considering the thread's topic, you'd think so. You expect everyone to say "no" or something?
MATTERHORN
Nope. Creative stuff is not my forte, even though I enjoy it.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Quote by Jack Off Jill

Nothing really wrong with it. If you're good at something, be proud of it. I am. I've yet to actually meet anyone better than me at guitar so I feel like I'm pretty damn good.
Quote by Snuffles
You are an absolute god, offspring_punk

Quote by drop-dead666
You're a retard, read Scourges posts. There is already a system folder, why do I need a system32.
Quote by Doctor Matthews
Yep. To me its comes so naturally that I can't even explain its magnitude. It just is.

Well considering the thread's topic, you'd think so. You expect everyone to say "no" or something?

Objective humility isn't a lot to ask for....
Grammar Nazi.
Quote by kerrang
I have a friend who SUCKS at playing music. But, he has such a good ear for it he can spot talent and a good band / song / artist from 1 or 2 records. This guy KNOWS music inside and out but he just cant create it. I'd say he's naturally musical, but I wouldn't say he's creative.

Same with me. And ^your avatar 0_o
Yes, my mum said that when I was 3, I asked for a saxophone XD
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
Quote by Jack Off Jill
When you gotta toot you gotta toot. Sometimes the song calls for it.
Page 1 of 3