I've wondered for a while now... wouldn't it be cool to have a less "serious" OS for your computer and have a "more personal" OS instead?

For example, instead of having an error message saying "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close", which sounds rather cold and systematic (and yes, technically, we're talking about an operating system, but that's not the point), you could set it up to a personality that would make it say "Well look at that. It messed up again. You should seriously get Firefox or something, man" instead. You know, something your friend would tell you.

You could even choose the personality of your OS; say you're masochistic: you'd set it up so that it could insult you for your wrongdoings and blame you for everything. If you like laughing, you'd set it up to 'comedian', and it would crack jokes here and there (I've heard of a GPS that does exactly that). If you have a creepy, odd fetish revolving around computers, you'd set it to 'hot secretary' and it would constantly flirt with you.

(If you're a sadist, you could set it to 'Replicant' and watch your computer ask you how many times you've cleared your Internet history and gain pseudo-self-awareness)

Of course, if you got tired of it, you could turn the "personal" interface off and it would look more professional ("classic" interface, I guess?).

tl;dr - Would operating system interfaces be cool if they had the option to seem more like you're talking to a person, rather than circuitry? Gives a whole new meaning to "personal computer"

Note; I don't want to discuss about how this could affect your social skills; just the idea.

Also, this isn't about AI; the personalities are programmed in a certain way that makes them the way they are. The differences between that type of interface and what we have now are purely aesthetic.

inb4 inb4

EDIT: Inspired by this.
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: Duke Ellington

I'm sick and tired of people calling America the stupidest country in the world. I personally think Europe is the stupidest country.
Last edited by Wolfinator-x at Nov 16, 2011,
Sounds like Linux to me
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
...you guys only read the tl;dr, now admit your faults.

I'm sick and tired of people calling America the stupidest country in the world. I personally think Europe is the stupidest country.
Chrome and Firefox are somewhat a lot like this, like when a page crashes in chrome it just plays it cool, and the menu options, your saved passwords are kept in a place called "Personal" stuff.

Firefox is funny too if you type "about:config" into the browser, it'll come up with a warning say "Here be dragons!!! Be careful blah blah" with a button to acknowledge this saying "I'll be careful, I promise!"

Things like this "Yes, I am 18, and I would like to see this sites contents" should be changed into "Yes, I am 18 and would like to see dem titties. : )" Smiley included, just that little bit more of user satisfaction.

Hhahaha I always thought Mac would be the first to begin doing this on a OS scale, but... Idk. I hate Mac.
you know you can do a lot of that stuff manually? i'm sure there are guides out there.

alternatively, you can install programs that modify Windows/your desktop for you, but it has to be running all the time.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by devourke
You mean like a real friend?

Devourke, I love you bro.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by Diamond Dave
+1

+2
Quote by MakinLattes
I'd kill you and wear your skin.
Quote by Siv During Livh
To attempt to have intercourse with a hornet's nest is a very bad idea,

Voted UG's worst cross dresser.
Also voted #95 on UG's Top 100 2013. Like it means anything....
Quote by devourke
You mean like a real friend?

Every post you make is gold
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Compared to all of the other proprietary and semi-proprietary operating systems we have seen in modern phones, Android is the closest to being tweakable. The Android OS is Linux-based. It is not open source. It is open community, but closed source. It's codebase is about 6 gigabytes. Puppy Linux sits at 130 megabytes and does everything Android can.

Apple, Google, Samsung, HTC, Motorola, and a few others, in collaboration with the phone companies, are once again keeping people from full access to their technology. What we need is a new mobile operating system that is truly open, free, and able to make calls and texts (if you want to pay for it), and able to plug in a new virtual operating system on command. Wolfinator, this is what you're getting at when you said 'phone personalities.' Your take on phone personalities is pretty cool, and I'd like that, to have a stubborn phone lol. But the actual implication of hotpluggable operating systems on phones is realized on the scientific side, for parallelized distributed computation.

Quote by moscaespañol
are you sure you're bro enough?

I used to be a bro. It's like learning how to ride a bike though. Once you know it, you don't ever forget how.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Last edited by darkstar2466 at Nov 16, 2011,
You could write a Linux distribution for this sir.
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by darkstar2466
Devourke, I love you bro.

Quote by WCPhils
Every post you make is gold

Thank you bros, I love you guys too
Quote by darkstar2466
shtuff
I wasn't referring to phones necessarily, but yeah, I could guess that phones would be less of a drag to reprogram several times for different interfaces.

"LOL get a Mac" would be my personal favourate
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
"LOL get a Mac" would be my personal favourate
-_-