so what would you guys say is the ratio of guitarists to bassists to drummers

i would guess 10:1:2

everyone plays guitar but i never meet bassists; all the bassists i meet are guitarists that maybe picked up a bass(but are still mainly guitarists), and cant play it very well

drummers a little more but still not a lot. a lot of them arent serious drummers cus i guess having a kit and practicing is a b*tch

****bounus:
out of the 10 guitarists 30% are good,
50% of bassists are good.
~40% of drummers are good.

i wanna see what you guys think
Sooo, sources to those statistics?
We should start calling it "The Fact of Evolution", theory, even though correct, does not work with the ignorant..

ive never posted in the pit before....im guessing this is where all the 12 year olds hang out?

haha well i was just wondering; also not keep in mind, its just a guess from personal experience of what ive seen. was hoping to see what you guys thought, from your personal experiences.
Quote by Blargaha
Sooo, sources to those statistics?

not sure if serious....

read the OP....my guess would be....
Quote by davem27

ive never posted in the pit before....im guessing this is where all the 12 year olds hang out?

haha well i was just wondering; also not keep in mind, its just a guess from personal experience of what ive seen. was hoping to see what you guys thought, from your personal experiences.

No this is where all the old guys with no life hangs out.

And me

But on topic, yes I also feel like everyone I meet is a guitarist. I know very few people who can drum and even fewer who actually play the bass as their main instrument. Proper vocalists are even more rare around here.
Bassists are going the way of the panda
Breakfast, Breakfast, it's great for us
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, it can't be beat
Quote by Miiiiks
No this is where all the old guys with no life hangs out, like me

Fixd lol
ggg1 ggg3

Ratio: 10:4:4

Why? Because people that are crappy at bass still play bass. Same with drums (well not really)

Depends on what you mean by good. If it is a virtuoso guitarist, bassist, and drummer I'd say ~5% ~5% ~5%
Quote by davem27

___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
^Those other members of the band before the invention of the 8 string guitar.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
How is it that everyone always says '12' for peoples' age?
Is that the age you need to be to join UG?

If not, then it's a weird coincidence.
Breakfast, Breakfast, it's great for us
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, it can't be beat
STFU bass haters, you wouldn't be hearing those bumpin low notes if it weren't for bassists. That being said, bassists tend to suck when you look at all the bassists you've met. An old roommate of mine was excellent at slap. He made up some funky ass shit, he did. A good bassist is always appreciated.

Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by guitarage
good guitarists : good bassists

100 : 1

The number of good bassists is massively massively diluted by the amount of terrible guitarists who "also play bass" because it's "pretty much the same, but easier".

These are the people that inspire genuine bassists to be a lot better.

Quote by That guy above me
An old roommate of mine was excellent at slap. He made up some funky ass shit, he did. A good bassist is always appreciated.

Slap is another thing that annoys me about most bassists. It's like they picked the one technique that guitarists can't do, so they ran with it, and can do nothing except slap. That doesn't make a good bassist.
If you ever meet a bassist and he says 'I mostly play funk' you probably assume that he's not going to be great in a band situation. Unless of course he has played in funk bands.
Last edited by Casketcreep at Nov 16, 2011,
I'm a guitarist, but I can hold my own as a bassist (can pick, finger, and slap), and I'm a fairly rudimentary drummer, I can hold a beat quite well and get through some simple songs. Stick that up your statistics.
Quote by davem27
not sure if serious....

read the OP....my guess would be....

No, sources to the ratio of good musicians...
We should start calling it "The Fact of Evolution", theory, even though correct, does not work with the ignorant..
4:2:6

All of them are pretty good but tbh my bands bassist is pretty awesome. Same as our guitarist. And our drummer (which is me, im just going what ive been told).
If you're traveling in the North Country Fair
Where the winds hit heavy on the borderline
Remember me to the one who lives there
For she once was a true love of mine
Quote by Casketcreep

Slap is another thing that annoys me about most bassists. It's like they picked the one technique that guitarists can't do, so they ran with it, and can do nothing except slap. That doesn't make a good bassist.
If you ever meet a bassist and he says 'I mostly play funk' you probably assume that he's not going to be great in a band situation. Unless of course he has played in funk bands.

I REALLY hope you're not being serious.
pinga
Quote by davem27

im 13 bicth hoal
you're a stone fox
It's about 10:3:2 over here on Chile. Slightly more bassists than drummers and a crapload of guitarists. But that's also counting the crappy guitarists who only learn covers and can't play on time to a beat
Professional lurker since 2009.
Quote by Cb4rabid
I REALLY hope you're not being serious.

I was being serious.

Maybe phrased it a bit badly, but the gist is there.
Quote by yoman297
Ratio: 10:4:4

Why? Because people that are crappy at bass still play bass. Same with drums (well not really)

Depends on what you mean by good. If it is a virtuoso guitarist, bassist, and drummer I'd say ~5% ~5% ~5%

good point; id say at least 2/3rds of bassists i meet are guitarists just trying to learn a little bass.

also, by good i just mean the difference between knowing 2chords to "hey there delilah", and actually being able to play full songs with other musicians.
Quote by darkstar2466
STFU bass haters, you wouldn't be hearing those bumpin low notes if it weren't for bassists. That being said, bassists tend to suck when you look at all the bassists you've met. An old roommate of mine was excellent at slap. He made up some funky ass shit, he did. A good bassist is always appreciated.

i agree. a good bassist can make a band...what would RHCP be without flea?

i think most bassists arent good but theyre passable. i guess its due to the fact that we just assume all bass is is playing some blink182 type basslines
I'm from England, and I could throw a stone in my local town and the likelihood of it hitting a guitarist is high. Drummers are rare as hell, because as many of you may understand, British people like to complain, and therefore loud noises are a no no. (and I'm not joking when i say that). Bass players is a completely different matter.

The amount of people who played guitar and switched to bass coz they weren't very good, or picked up bass 'coz a friend was in a band who didn't have a bass player (i did this when i was 14, and glad i did now) but then gave up (i didn't do this bit) is unreal. I don't think I've ever met a bass player in my local area who picked up bass just to play bass.

Oh, and the 8 string comment? Dude, just coz you guitarists decided you didn't have enough balls, and had to encroach on bassist's territory to make you feel more manly, don't think for a second you can cope without a bass player. Whilst you go off on your finger masturbatory solos, who's there in the background carrying on the song with the drummer? Oh yeah, us.
Quote by Crazyedd123
Last edited by DrageKage at Nov 16, 2011,
Quote by Casketcreep

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FrI5lNvCnQ
Quote by Crazyedd123

Only eating bamboo because they're too lazy to eat meat, like they're meant to and not reproducing because they're too lazy to have sex?
The music I play would require a bassist who can play single notes and the odd two note power chord - so any old randomer...

(but that's just me)
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB