so i've been using arpeggios, wide intervals different phrasing.

but my improv seriously sounds the same, like its nothing totally new where i go omg thats sooo cool, i just sit and im like well this is boring. and i just stop and move on to the next thing.

when i improv i usually would like to think how steve vai, malmsteen or my idol players would play it to give ideas, but my ideas just sound the same.

someone point me in the right direction here to getting new sounds? its really starting to bug me and making my playing un-interesting.
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
TS 808 modded tubescreamer
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble
ISP Decimator
1998 Marshall JCM2000 DSL 100
Last edited by GoodOl'trashbag at Nov 16, 2011,
vai would use a #4 on the major scale and milk the bends and malmsteen would play the harmonic minor really quickly

take the melodies in your head and put them on the fretboard. if you only play by yourself improvising, write chord progressions or join a band.
modes are a social construct
Do you listen to a variety of different genres for inspiration? Vai and Malmsteen both take influence from music of different cultures (well, malmsteen not so much) and incorporate it into their own playing, so maybe listening to some jazz or world music would help. I'm in a similar position myself with my own playing, and listening to different music has definitely helped my improv.

I'm sure the others here will be of more help than myself, but that's just my two cents.
The time to hesitate is through..

Gear:
Fender 60's Road Worn Strat
Epiphone Les Paul '56 Gold Top
Orange Tiny Terror Combo

Quote by Draken
and the stig. American Stig would be a fat guy with a nascar hat.
Agreed with the top two. When I get stuck in ruts and my fretboard is looking a little worn in certain places, I start listening to different genres and learning licks from guitarists I generally wouldn't listen to. Most recently I picked up a few ideas from The Knife's album Silent Shout, which doesn't have any guitar in it at all.

Also, when jamming, I try to think in my head a bar ahead, and what kind of sound I want that bar to have. So while I'm playing one lick I try to think ahead to the next bar, then I play it.
i have been, i've literally been trying everything.

and its not the melodies. i can think of melodies, that sound different, they just have the same vibe to it if you know what i mean.

i can come up with licks and shit all day. but they will have the same feel to them and the same vibe/mood or emotion.

I've been learning some folk and celtic stuff.
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
TS 808 modded tubescreamer
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble
ISP Decimator
1998 Marshall JCM2000 DSL 100