Is it me or, do Min.6ths and maj.7ths just sound odd when they're played with just the root note and said interval?
I still use them in chords (I think I've implemented every possible interval I can think of in my compositions) but, when they're on their own, they sound 'odd'

I think the min.6th is understandable because it creates a form of tension. Maybe because it's so close to the 5th?

But the Maj.7th always sounds so wrong because, in essence, it's just a glorified min.2nd

Anyone else feel this way?
Breakfast, Breakfast, it's great for us
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, it can't be beat
Last edited by Crazyedd123 at Nov 16, 2011,
Its because of the harmonic series and the shared overtones. A C and a G will always sound stable because they share many of the same overtones, as G occurs very early in the series generated by C. C and B, however, do not share many of the same overtones, and thus will create somewhat of a clash when played simultaneously.
I couldn't think of a thing that I hope tomorrow brings
At first you talk about maj 6th's and min 7th's then min 6th's and major 7th's... I'm guessing you mean the second one? Anyway, a major 7th interval is very dissonant, which can sound unpleasant to the ear to many people. That's not to say it has no use though...
Quote by MetalCommand
At first you talk about maj 6th's and min 7th's then min 6th's and major 7th's... I'm guessing you mean the second one? Anyway, a major 7th interval is very dissonant, which can sound unpleasant to the ear to many people. That's not to say it has no use though...

Oops, fixed it now.

I use major 7ths alot. However, I usually pair the maj.7th with another note so that the other note acts as a 'buffer' between the root and the 7th. I rarely use just Maj.7ths (possibly because I like playing very full chords), however, I sometimes use it to create an 'emptiness' in a piece.
Breakfast, Breakfast, it's great for us
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, it can't be beat
Minor 6th is my favorite interval. Major 7th is supposed to be odd because it's a tendency tone.