I haven't been able to play guitar for about 3 months now thanks to being super busy with college and everything. I have a show to play in about a month with some pretty technical guitar parts.

What is the best strategy to get back into playing shape as quickly as possible?

I have been thinking I will just start with a couple half hour sessions each day until then. I will start by just going over scales and cords and exercises. Then, after a week or so start to play some of the more difficult songs I used to be able to play (mostly metallica and classic rock). Then I will start to mix in the stuff I need to be able to play for the show.

Anyone have some tips or suggestions?
Last edited by Tremolo Bum at Nov 16, 2011,
Practice what you need to play the same way you'd practice anything else, just because you've taken a break doesn't change anything about the way practice and the human body works...
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Practice what you need to play the same way you'd practice anything else, just because you've taken a break doesn't change anything about the way practice and the human body works...

Yeah this.

Also, I know 3 months is a long time and you won't be as good as you were 3 months ago, but it'll come back pretty quickly. I know you have to play a show in a month but don't expect to be able to play as well as you could straight away. Practice a lot, but work your way up to the harder stuff and hopefully you'll be all ready for the show..
ESP Horizon FR II (EMG) / Ibanez Prestige RG1570 (DiMarzio Crunch Lab & LiquiFire pickups)
There is really no magic bullet, try to practice as much as you can and concentrate fully on it, stick to your routine.
The more effort you put into it, the "quicker" youll get your chops back. Do not try and rush the process though.
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
practice what you need to know in sections (divide parts up into sections that are manageable to learn in a day or two). set a goal of learning, say, two sections a day. this will allow you to see your progress, because as you learn more sections, the songs will come together with great accuracy and you'll remember them (works great to learn a song for the first time!).

use your scale practice as a warm up. practice running through every scale you know a couple times to warm up. play at various speeds, going slow to fast. keep in mind that, when returning, accuracy is more important than speed